Author Topic: Scientists have a fascinating theory to explain why smart people should spend less time with friends  (Read 444 times)

Offline Suppressed

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-smart-people-should-spend-less-time-with-friends-2016-7

Scientists have a fascinating theory to explain why smart people should spend less time with friends
Shana Lebowitz 5h

If you're looking for an excuse to back out of a social engagement tonight - preferably one that's not, "I'd rather play Pokémon Go" - have we got the perfect line for you.

Ready?

"I'm just too intelligent."

Be sure to come with plenty of supporting evidence, namely an IQ score and the results of a recent study on the "savanna theory of happiness." Your pals will be sure to understand.

The study:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26847844

Results showed that people were generally happier in less populated areas - except for highly intelligent people.

For the second study, the researchers looked at the link between participants' IQ scores, their life satisfaction, and how often they socialized (meaning hung out or talked on the phone with) friends.

Sure enough, the more time people spent with friends, the happier they were - except for the really smart people. In fact, results showed that the more intelligent people socialized with friends, the less satisfied they were with life.

Here's where intelligence comes in. One of the study authors previously proposed that intelligence is the ability to adapt to novel environments - i.e. environments that would have freaked out our ancestors. So highly intelligent people aren't as bothered by living in uber-crowded communities or by spending time alone.

[Heavily excerpted.]
============================

Later, losers...I'm outta here...you're bumming me out...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline uglybiker

nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!