Author Topic: Research Casts Doubt on the Value of Acupuncture  (Read 2841 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Research Casts Doubt on the Value of Acupuncture
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:48:23 pm »
SOURCE: SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/research-casts-doubt-on-the-value-of-acupuncture/

By Jeneen Interlandi

In 1971 then New York Times columnist James Reston had his appendix removed at a hospital in China. The article he wrote about his experience still reverberates today. His doctors used a standard set of injectable drugs—lidocaine and benzocaine—to anesthetize him before surgery, he explained. But they controlled his postoperative pain with something quite different: a Chinese medical practice known as acupuncture, which involved sticking tiny needles into his skin at very specific locations and gently twisting them. According to Reston, it worked.

Acupuncture is based on the concept of qi (pronounced “chi”), a life force or energy that practitioners say flows through the body along 20 distinct routes called meridians. Blocked meridians are believed to cause illness by disrupting the flow of qi. Inserting acupuncture needles at specific points along specific meridians is thought to clear those blockages and restore qi's natural flow, which in turn restores patients to health. Scientists have long understood that qi is not a legitimate biological entity; many studies have shown that the effects of acupuncture are the same whether needles are placed along the meridians or at random locations around the body. But the acupuncture proponents among them have argued that acupuncture itself might still work, albeit by an as yet unknown mechanism.

Readers back home were fascinated. In a rush of excitement over this new, exotic knowledge, the original story was quickly jumbled. Before long, it was commonly believed that the Chinese doctors had used acupuncture not just after Reston's appendectomy but as anesthesia for the surgery itself. Interest in acupuncture soared in the U.S. and has remained high ever since.

But it turned out that acupuncture as Reston described it was not the enduring bit of ancient Chinese wisdom enthusiasts supposed. In fact, the procedure had been written off as superstition back in the 1600s and abandoned altogether in favor of a more science-based approach to healing by the 1800s. Chinese Communist Party leader Mao Zedong had only revived acupuncture in the 1950s as part of his initiative to convince the Chinese people that their government had a plan for keeping them healthy despite a woeful dearth of financial and medical resources.

Even more impressive than how well Mao's campaign worked in China at the time is how well it is working in the U.S. today. Every year hundreds of thousands of Americans undergo acupuncture for conditions ranging from pain to post-traumatic stress disorder, and the federal government spends tens of millions of dollars to study the protocol.

So far that research has been disappointing. Studies have found no meaningful difference between acupuncture and a wide range of sham treatments. Whether investigators penetrate the skin or not, use needles or toothpicks, target the particular locations on the body cited by acupuncturists or random ones, the same proportion of patients experience more or less the same degree of pain relief (the most common condition for which acupuncture is administered and the most well researched). “We have no evidence that [acupuncture] is anything more than theatrical placebo,” says Harriet Hall, a retired family physician and U.S. Air Force flight surgeon who has studied, and long been a critic of, alternative medicine.

But the news is not all bad. In the process of putting acupuncture to the test, scientists have gained insights that could lead to the development of new and urgently needed methods for treating pain.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline SirLinksALot

Research Casts Doubt on the Value of Acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:51:38 pm »
SOURCE: SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/research-casts-doubt-on-the-value-of-acupuncture/

By Jeneen Interlandi

In 1971 then New York Times columnist James Reston had his appendix removed at a hospital in China. The article he wrote about his experience still reverberates today. His doctors used a standard set of injectable drugs—lidocaine and benzocaine—to anesthetize him before surgery, he explained. But they controlled his postoperative pain with something quite different: a Chinese medical practice known as acupuncture, which involved sticking tiny needles into his skin at very specific locations and gently twisting them. According to Reston, it worked.

Acupuncture is based on the concept of qi (pronounced “chi”), a life force or energy that practitioners say flows through the body along 20 distinct routes called meridians. Blocked meridians are believed to cause illness by disrupting the flow of qi. Inserting acupuncture needles at specific points along specific meridians is thought to clear those blockages and restore qi's natural flow, which in turn restores patients to health. Scientists have long understood that qi is not a legitimate biological entity; many studies have shown that the effects of acupuncture are the same whether needles are placed along the meridians or at random locations around the body. But the acupuncture proponents among them have argued that acupuncture itself might still work, albeit by an as yet unknown mechanism.

Readers back home were fascinated. In a rush of excitement over this new, exotic knowledge, the original story was quickly jumbled. Before long, it was commonly believed that the Chinese doctors had used acupuncture not just after Reston's appendectomy but as anesthesia for the surgery itself. Interest in acupuncture soared in the U.S. and has remained high ever since.

But it turned out that acupuncture as Reston described it was not the enduring bit of ancient Chinese wisdom enthusiasts supposed. In fact, the procedure had been written off as superstition back in the 1600s and abandoned altogether in favor of a more science-based approach to healing by the 1800s. Chinese Communist Party leader Mao Zedong had only revived acupuncture in the 1950s as part of his initiative to convince the Chinese people that their government had a plan for keeping them healthy despite a woeful dearth of financial and medical resources.

Even more impressive than how well Mao's campaign worked in China at the time is how well it is working in the U.S. today. Every year hundreds of thousands of Americans undergo acupuncture for conditions ranging from pain to post-traumatic stress disorder, and the federal government spends tens of millions of dollars to study the protocol.

So far that research has been disappointing. Studies have found no meaningful difference between acupuncture and a wide range of sham treatments. Whether investigators penetrate the skin or not, use needles or toothpicks, target the particular locations on the body cited by acupuncturists or random ones, the same proportion of patients experience more or less the same degree of pain relief (the most common condition for which acupuncture is administered and the most well researched). “We have no evidence that [acupuncture] is anything more than theatrical placebo,” says Harriet Hall, a retired family physician and U.S. Air Force flight surgeon who has studied, and long been a critic of, alternative medicine.

But the news is not all bad. In the process of putting acupuncture to the test, scientists have gained insights that could lead to the development of new and urgently needed methods for treating pain.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

geronl

Re: Research Casts Doubt on the Value of Acupuncture
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:04:12 pm »
but but 55 million Asians swear by it!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:11:05 pm »
Do you know what 'alternative medicine' that works is called? Medicine.

While I'm sure some people find some relief (albeit psychological), acupuncturists, chiropractors, essential oil healers, herbalists, crystal healers, and other woo peddlers should be looked at with a serious eye of skepticism.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:11:27 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »
but but 55 million Asians swear by it!

They also swear by making teas made of dried frogs.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 10:20:42 pm »
I'm on pins and needles to find out more. Now I find out it's full of holes.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »

Acupuncture treatments [for us] helped with anxiety, stress, and some pain issues too.

America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 10:51:37 pm »
Acupuncture treatments [for us] helped with anxiety, stress, and some pain issues too.

Tattoos do that to. :)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 11:29:04 pm »
Worked on me, the odd time I've had it done by the osteopath, that's all I can say.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:34 pm »
Acturepunture done correctly can and does relieve muscle spasms due to injuries or overworked muscles.

We have done so on several barrel racing horses.  Very obvious results in just a few minutes.  Horses flinching in pain from point pressure along their spine for a week or two before we could get them in for treatment.  Minutes after treatment, no pain, no reaction to the same pressure.

And then those horses that were having trouble rating (tucking their butt to fast stop and prepare for a turn) did much better with lasting results.  Sometimes we would take them back months later but those horse are run hard, twisting for barrel and pole races.

I don't think we were seeing psychosomatic relief from stabbing our horses with 2, 3 or even 6 inch needles.

However, we are very selective who we allow to treat them.  Mostly we use an old-school country vet working out of a 40 year-old double-wide.  His isn't some fancy operation attracting those with money to burn to try the latest fad.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:05:45 pm »
Acturepunture done correctly can and does relieve muscle spasms due to injuries or overworked muscles.

We have done so on several barrel racing horses.  Very obvious results in just a few minutes.  Horses flinching in pain from point pressure along their spine for a week or two before we could get them in for treatment.  Minutes after treatment, no pain, no reaction to the same pressure.

And then those horses that were having trouble rating (tucking their butt to fast stop and prepare for a turn) did much better with lasting results.  Sometimes we would take them back months later but those horse are run hard, twisting for barrel and pole races.

I don't think we were seeing psychosomatic relief from stabbing our horses with 2, 3 or even 6 inch needles.

However, we are very selective who we allow to treat them.  Mostly we use an old-school country vet working out of a 40 year-old double-wide.  His isn't some fancy operation attracting those with money to burn to try the latest fad.

My next door neighbor has opened up an acupuncture clinic in her garage, creating a parking problem in the immediate area. I may print this article and start slipping it under windshield wipers.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline hiram1950

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:43:24 am »
This is purely anecdotal. My wife had a knee replaced. The convalescence went poorly despite numerous hours of faithful and disciplined therapy efforts. She tried acupuncture to relieve the pain, and it did. Sadly, it didn't last, so she needed several sessions for respite.

Although it didn't last, her normal medical supports and interventions never even started mitigating her pain. During and shortly after her acupuncture sessions, she walked normally, as if she never had the replacement.

Her only long term relief required a second procedure to remove, tear up and break a great deal of scar tissue followed by more physical therapy.

I would certainly never write off acupuncture for its short term, very impressive benefits. It beat the socks off of analgesics.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 01:11:06 am »

While I'm sure some people find some relief (albeit psychological), acupuncturists, chiropractors, essential oil healers, herbalists, crystal healers, and other woo peddlers should be looked at with a serious eye of skepticism.

Yes because what we've learned in the last 300 years outweighs everything learned in the last 5000.

There's just as many junk doctors as there are alternative medicine healers.

To dismiss it all as junk is pure ignorance.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 01:19:07 am »
I would not have gotten through my last pregnancy without accupuncture. I was in unbearable pain and it was the only thing that worked. I'd never used it before and I haven't used it since, but at the time it was a God send. Fast forward two years later and it took SEVEN MONTHS for the best of the best in pathology to nail down my Cancer diagnosis. Had I taken the advice of the two doc's I fired, I'd be either dead or dying right now. They are oncologists at the top of their field. Modern medicine is not always what it's cracked up to be.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 01:42:13 am »

What you are telling me is that you don't work for a living. By far and away, if you work on the docks, or with a pick and shovel, any kind of cartage, cowboys, loggers, and etc, you will have a very favorable relationship with a chiropractor.

Chiropractors have done far more for me in my life than medical doctors ever thought of.
Acupuncture follows close behind. If the frame is straight, but the muscles are still acting up, acupuncture is great.
And after 7 years in a wheel chair stuck with medical doctors, what got me out of it in a single night (the catalyst for the grace of God) was an essential oil.

Western medicine is great if you need something cut off or bolted back on - But it is awful for actual healing and long term maintenance.

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 02:28:07 am »

If you are going to get pricked by a needle I prefer it to be filled with an opiate of some form or another.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 02:41:41 am »
If you are going to get pricked by a needle I prefer it to be filled with an opiate of some form or another.

To each their own.   Acupuncture isn't addictive and helps treat the cause of the pain, not just cover it ip.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »
Worked on me, the odd time I've had it done by the osteopath, that's all I can say.  :shrug:
That's what counts too.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline hiram1950

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 01:49:56 pm »
What you are telling me is that you don't work for a living. By far and away, if you work on the docks, or with a pick and shovel, any kind of cartage, cowboys, loggers, and etc, you will have a very favorable relationship with a chiropractor.

I spent six years after high school loading trucks for Sears. I also suffered from migraines starting in my youngest recollection.

The migraines were my malady of the first order. The only relief I ever obtained for my migraines was at the hands of a chiropractor.

Prescribed pain blockers and analgesics were useless...for me, at least. They helped manufacturers and vendors.

There were chiropractor visits that I walked into hurting so bad I had to work to hold down my lunch or skipped lunch and left with enough mitigation that I was able to sleep. Sometimes I left with the headache completely and utterly gone. That last result can never be properly described to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
There were chiropractor visits that I walked into hurting so bad I had to work to hold down my lunch or skipped lunch and left with enough mitigation that I was able to sleep. Sometimes I left with the headache completely and utterly gone. That last result can never be properly described to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

Yep - Glad it worked for you! Many, many times I have hauled one of my buddies down to the chiro, too stove up to hardly walk without assistance... Get 'em ripped, and they come walking out of there like they own the world, and go right back to work. The very same has happened to me too.

And the same with acupuncture - there's a Vietnamese chick down in Bigfork that is an artist with the needles. I have had buddies all folded up walk right out of there too.

Granted, there's quacks everywhere - and they are in alt med too - I have had 2 chiros in my whole life. The time between the first and the second was horrific, as I went from one to the next, trying to find one that would just give me a good rip, and not be offended if I didn't come back 5 days a week - Gotta watch out for the inept, and the ones that think they found a milk cow.

Offline hiram1950

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 05:49:20 pm »
the ones that think they found a milk cow.

I have always been too poor to be a milk cow for anyone. My wife and I are in that club, together,

Nevertheless, people that argue that chiropractic and/or acupuncture are fraud, quackery or placebo-like are far too silly to discuss real life with other people able to complete an actual thought.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 07:43:40 pm »
I have always been too poor to be a milk cow for anyone. My wife and I are in that club, together,

I've been up and down... Right now, in church mouse territory... which I am finding I prefer - a different sort of wealth is found there...

Nevertheless, people that argue that chiropractic and/or acupuncture are fraud, quackery or placebo-like are far too silly to discuss real life with other people able to complete an actual thought.

I will say this: Anyone who is experiencing long term back and joint pain, anyone whose back 'goes out' regularly, who hasn't ever gone to a chiropractor.... GO!

I have a friend who didn't believe in chiros, who was experiencing terrific back pain. After all the x-rays, MRIs, specialists... just as he was heading for surgery to implant tens units into his back... I finally, FINALLY talked him into going to my chiro.

He literally walked out of that office a new man... For $35 bucks. Over the next few weeks, he went back a few times - He had been out of whack for so long that it took a bit to get to where he could keep it right...

And btw, his insurance, which paid over $16,000 to medical doctors, and was willing to pay for an egregiously expensive operation, wouldn't cover a penny of that which actually made him well.His full bill to the chiro was under 200 bucks.

Go figure that one out.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:34 pm »
I have a similar "It worked for me" chiropractic story.  A friend of ours was having numbness and pins and needles feeling in his arms and hands.  He went to several doctors.  Had MRIs, CTs, whatever test.  The docs said he had MS that just wasn't showing up on the tests yet and to wait for it to get worse, they would test again and be able to give a formal diagnosis.  He found a chiropractor that adjusted him and did some deep tissue manipulation via Graston Technique and all his "symptoms" went away.

I was having neck pain/headaches and ended up at a specialist who also wanted to do an MRI of my brain to rule out MS.  I decided to try the same chiro out and after explaining to him where my pain was he exasperatedly explained to me that yes, headaches can be MS, but they never present in the manner you are describing.  He also treated me with adjustment and Graston and stretching and anytime I feel like I'm getting back into that headache pattern I now the appropriate stretching and massaging to do myself to alleviate it.

And, I am friends with a chiropractor who works mostly on children and pregnant women.  She has a very high success rate for turning breech babies by achieving proper hip and spine alignment.  A ob/gyn would just say, no big deal we'll just do a c-section.