Author Topic: Q&A: Garry Trudeau on Doonesbury's 30-year affair with Donald Trump  (Read 346 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
A.D. Amorosi
The Philadelphia Inquirer
July 24, 2016

Cartoonist/author Garry Trudeau has been on the front line of incisive political commentary ever since his Doonesbury strip debuted in 1970. Since then, he has taken on hot-button issues like abortion rights and lampooned mighty figures, Reagans, Bushes . . . and Donald Trump.

By 1987, Trudeau, already lambasting Trump, was telling audiences Trump would run for president someday. In 1989, Trump said this: "Doonesbury is one of the most overrated strips out there, mediocre at best."

The Republican nominee for president is the subject of Trudeau's new collection, Yuge!: 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump. Trudeau, 68, will be at the Rittenhouse Square Barnes & Noble on Monday - the first day of the DNC. He spoke to The Inquirer the day before his arrival.
More

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Q&A: Garry Trudeau on Doonesbury's 30-year affair with Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:59:16 pm »
By 1987, Trudeau, already lambasting Trump, was telling audiences Trump would run for president someday. In 1989, Trump said this: "Doonesbury is one of the most overrated strips out there, mediocre at best."

Well, dadburnit! Now I agree with Trump on something.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Q&A: Garry Trudeau on Doonesbury's 30-year affair with Donald Trump
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 06:03:40 pm »
Well, dadburnit! Now I agree with Trump on something.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  :laugh: