Author Topic: White House reviews ban on tracked armored vehicles for cops  (Read 700 times)

rangerrebew

White House reviews ban on tracked armored vehicles for cops

July 22, 2016

The recent police shootings in Dallas, TX and Baton Rouge, LA have prompted President Obama to issue a request for White House chief legal counsel Neil Eggleston to review the ban on the use of some military equipment by police.

According to Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, and Bill Johnson, the executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, the White House has agreed to review its ban on what military equipment can be deployed by police, including grenade launchers and tracked armored vehicles.

- See more at: http://www.trunews.com/article/white-house-reviews-ban-on-tracked-armored-vehicles-for-cops#sthash.JwMM34Zu.dpuf

geronl

Re: White House reviews ban on tracked armored vehicles for cops
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:52:50 am »
This might be a good thing. We don't need police to become a paramilitary force

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:40:27 pm »
This might be a good thing. We don't need police to become a paramilitary force
To an extent the police have already been a paramilitary force, with their battering rams, elevated entry vehicles and select fire/full auto weapons. When I was growing up all you ever saw an officer equipped with were a handgun and shotgun, now the freakin motorcycle officers are riding around with what appear to be M-16's on the back of their bikes.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:06:32 pm »

geronl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:16:00 pm »
To an extent the police have already been a paramilitary force, with their battering rams, elevated entry vehicles and select fire/full auto weapons. When I was growing up all you ever saw an officer equipped with were a handgun and shotgun, now the freakin motorcycle officers are riding around with what appear to be M-16's on the back of their bikes.

Of course I don't think the federal government has such power to do this. Maybe the federal government should stop selling these things to local police departments, that might be in his purview.