Author Topic: Windows 10 help  (Read 632 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Windows 10 help
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:20:10 am »
Just bought a new laptop, with Windows 10 preinstalled.

Now, I know how to get it running mostly how I want, but I'm having a problem with folders and files being set to read only, and reverting to read only after I set them to read/write.. This is particularly annoying as the laptop is primarily for games and the save directories being read only causes massive problems.

Has MS bothered to release a bugfix? I can't find it in the knowledge base anywhere.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

Re: Windows 10 help
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:11:51 am »
The big fix is called Linux.

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop and an older Linux too. I see no good reason to get Win 10. I think Microsoft is going to start charging a monthly fee to use the OS, its insane. They already want fees to use MS Office and even Solitaire on W10 (I hear)

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:19:50 am »
This probably is not the issue, but if you copy files that have been burned to a CD/DVD they are usually marked as read only and will keep that attribute unless you change it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:20:10 am by DB »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:27:50 am »
Just bought a new laptop, with Windows 10 preinstalled.

Now, I know how to get it running mostly how I want, but I'm having a problem with folders and files being set to read only, and reverting to read only after I set them to read/write.. This is particularly annoying as the laptop is primarily for games and the save directories being read only causes massive problems.

Has MS bothered to release a bugfix? I can't find it in the knowledge base anywhere.

THis isn't a bug it's a feature.   Win10 has security controls which try to protect the user from themselves.  So it defaults to marking files as unsafe and keeping users from changing without explicit permission.

Go to settings and look for security.  You can change the default and or make folders and file types trusted.  Also make copied files trusted.   For me it was marking all emailed files as unsafe and wouldn't let me open.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 11:38:48 am »
Thanks, will try that. It was driving me insane! I enjoy this game (Sheltered), but it autosaves once per ingame day - about every 6 minutes. Can't do that if the save directory is read only!

geronl

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 11:55:24 am »
Thanks, will try that. It was driving me insane! I enjoy this game (Sheltered), but it autosaves once per ingame day - about every 6 minutes. Can't do that if the save directory is read only!

interesting idea for a game

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:44 pm »
It's a wonderful game.

You have your family in a fallout shelter. Have to upgrade it, scrounge resources, watch health and stress closely. It gets a bit "grindish" once you get to about day 30 (you get the option to change maps and start over with a van load of resources after day 100) but the early game at least is a fun challenge.

And @driftdiver  - that worked. Thank you!

Wish they'd go back to selling bare machines with the OS install disc though - the amount of sheer crap you have to remove on a new machine is ridiculous.  :shrug: