Author Topic: EPA’s Own Report Contradicts Its Claims On Gold King Mine Region  (Read 259 times)

rangerrebew

EPA’s Own Report Contradicts Its Claims On Gold King Mine Region
Photo of Ethan Barton
Ethan Barton
10:36 PM 07/22/2016

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) officials say they need to control a Colorado region because decades of mining there have destroyed a local creek’s fish populations, but an internal report contradicts that claim.

Natural toxins pollute Colorado’s Cement Creek – an Animas River tributary – and it’s unclear if those waters supported aquatic life even before human interference, according to the EPA’s April 2015 Baseline Ecological Risk Assessment (BERA) report said.

“Mainstem Mineral Creek … and mainstem Cement Creek may not have supported viable fish … communities before large-scale mining activities started in the 19th century due to naturally high levels of metals and low pH levels in their surface waters,” the report said. “This represents a serious uncertainty, which would have to be considered as part of any future risk management decision-making.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/22/epas-own-report-contradicts-its-claims-on-gold-king-mine-region/#ixzz4FEt0lHRF