Author Topic: Donald Trump calls, thanks Cleveland police chief personally for keeping RNC safe (video)  (Read 483 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald Trump calls, thanks Cleveland police chief personally for keeping RNC safe (video)
Cleveland.com, 7/22/2016, Eric Heisig

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Presidential candidate Donald Trump called Cleveland police Chief Calvin Williams on Friday afternoon to thank the department for its work patrolling this year's Republican National Convention.

Williams received the call outside the Quicken Loans Arena, when the officers who worked as a bike patrol were gathered for photos and a media availability. Several officers crowded around the chief when Trump made the call, and Williams put the candidate on speakerphone.

"He just wanted to thank us, the Cleveland Division of Police and law enforcement here, for a nice safe week for everybody," Williams said. "That it wasn't like people predicted. Even not like he predicted."

An officer who crowded around Williams captured audio of Trump's call on speakerphone. Williams and police spokeswoman Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia said they would release the video with permission from Trump's campaign.

A Trump spokesman said he would have to run the request by the candidate to give permission to release the audio.

But Fox 8 news, which had a reporter and cameraman outside the Q at the time Trump called, posted a video with audio of the phone call.

In the call, Trump told the officers that he "just called the chief to say what a great job he did. He's more famous than I am because I think he has more television time than I did."

He goes on to say that people from all over the country are talking about the police department's performance.

"I tell you what, I wouldn't want to be Philadelphia right now, because they can't match you. No matter what happens, they can't match," Trump says on the call, referring to the city that will host the Democratic National Convention next week.

"You should all be very, very proud of yourselves and Calvin has done amazing," Trump said. "So I just want to thank all of you for the great job you've done."

The call came after Cleveland police was praised for its handling of protesters outside the RNC while ensuring the safety of convention-goers.

Williams said the call meant a lot, especially for the recognition police officers got for a convention that resulted in relatively few arrests and problems.

"Anytime people recognize law enforcement and say that they appreciate us, it's a good thing," the chief said.

Video at link:
http://www.cleveland.com/rnc-2016/index.ssf/2016/07/donald_trump_calls_thanks_clev.html#incart_maj-story-1

Offline LMAO

This is probably a morale booster for them after being trashed the last several years by the media and up to and including Clinton herself

Kudos for Trump to do this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
I don't care for him at all but this was a good move.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Good for him.

The cops did a sterling job this week and deserve every bit of appreciation that comes their way.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink