Author Topic: "Believe Me" Trump says. Few people do and nobody should  (Read 313 times)

Offline sinkspur

"Believe Me" Trump says. Few people do and nobody should
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:12:37 pm »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/the-art-of-deception/492554/

The Art of Deception

Donald Trump’s Republican National Convention speech was full of misleading statements, twisted facts, and false characterizations.

RON FOURNIER  JUL 21, 2016   POLITICS

“Here, at our convention,” Donald Trump said while accepting the Republican presidential nomination, “there will be no lies.” Then he lied: “I alone can fix it,” Trump said of a nation he described as a grim, crime-infested dystopia.

The man who made hyperbole and deception the art of his business dealings delivered an address filled with empty promises, insisting that oft-deceived Americans must learn to trust him.

“Together,” he started, “we will lead our party back to the White House, and we will lead our country back to safety, prosperity, and peace. We will be a country of generosity and warmth. But we will also be a country of law and order.”

Generous? Trump is famously stringy with his own money. Warm? Publicly, anyhow, he is a blustering bully. And this is already a country broadly operating under the rule of law, despite Trump’s efforts to hype rising crime rates.

“I have a message for all of you,” he said. “The crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon—and I mean very soon—come to an end.”

No president—no one person—can eliminate crime. Nobody can fix the nation’s problems alone. Trump is either knowingly inflating his import or the United States is just 270 electoral votes away from putting a megalomaniac in the Oval Office, a cotton candy-haired Mussolini.

“A change in leadership is required to produce a change in outcomes,” Trump declared. “Tonight, I will share with you my plan [of] action for America.”

There was no plan—no specific policies, anyhow. Just word salads like, “The most important difference between our plan and that of our opponent, is that our plan will put America first.”

What plan? And exactly what country does Trump think President Obama puts first? Russia, maybe? No, it’s the Republican candidate who seems to be doing Moscow’s bidding.

“I will present the facts,” Trump said, “plainly and honestly.”

Trust me, said the man who has told lies on the record for nearly 30 years.

Trust me, said the man who has lied about the Iraq war, ISIS, immigrant terrorists, Mexican rapists, the birther movement, Vladimir Putin and … oh, hell: Trump’s lies are countless (though gathered in portions here and here).

Trust me, said the man for whom fewer than 20 percent of Americans described with the word “trust,” according to a recent poll.

Trust me, said the man perfecting his lie-craft for nearly 30 years. “I play to people’s fantasies,” Trump bragged in The Art of the Deal, his 1987 best-selling memoir. “People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole.”

The book’s ghostwriter, Tony Schwartz, told The New Yorker this week that he is ashamed of his role in shaping the mythology of Trump. A better title for a book on Trump, he said, would be The Sociopath.

“Truthful hyperbole is a contradiction in terms,” Schwartz told The New Yorker. “It’s a way of saying, ‘It’s a lie, but who cares?’” He said Trump loved the phrase. The GOP candidate doesn’t care about the truth. But he wants America to trust him.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:13:11 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: "Believe Me" Trump says. Few people do and nobody should
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:17:38 pm »
A speech for the poorly educated.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 01:18:40 pm »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Art of Deception
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »
I see the  title of the article as "The art of deception". Are we self-editorializing political articles? Then, what may even be more of an opinion piece, sticking it in the politics area.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 01:55:21 pm »
No one ever wins a presidential election without having a core constituency.  :whistle:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 02:02:45 pm »
As Trump read badly from the teleprompter, making his extravagant claims with no plan or any kind, it was astonishing to hear the cheers as he promised a totalitarian regime. He made more promises than any other Democrat in history.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »
As Trump read badly from the teleprompter, making his extravagant claims with no plan or any kind, it was astonishing to hear the cheers as he promised a totalitarian regime. He made more promises than any other Democrat in history.

Yes, it was a truly frightening speech.  The whole night was.

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:14:29 pm »

A Ron Fournier article following the MSM media-approved "dark" meme, and another example of someone who would have crapped all over this type of article from the MSM if it was about ANY other Republican candidate. 

Sink, battle lines are drawn.  Across the field from you are regiments made up of blue collar workers, law enforcement rank & file, middle class people, and others.  As you look to your sides, you find yourself standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the main-stream media (MSM), the GOPe establishment, a Black Lives Matter horde, the Saul Alinksy brigades, and the Democrat party.  If this were a fantasy movie, your side has cave trolls.  And orcs...lots and lots of orcs...

@Weird Tolkienish Figure just because you might appreciate the reference (but not necessarily the sentiment)... 
#NeverTrump = #HillarySupremeCourt
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.