Author Topic: Cornel West: Why I Endorse the Green Party’s Jill Stein Over ‘Neoliberal Disaster’ Hillary Clinton  (Read 310 times)

rangerrebew

Cornel West: Why I Endorse the Green Party’s Jill Stein Over ‘Neoliberal Disaster’ Hillary Clinton
Posted on Jul 21, 2016

Ever an exemplar of the moral imperatives Truthdig columnist Chris Hedges holds as sacred, author Cornel West told Amy Goodman of “Democracy Now!” earlier this week why he switched his endorsement from Bernie Sanders to Jill Stein when Sanders endorsed the “neoliberal disaster” Hillary Clinton.

“Brother Bernie, no doubt, was the standard-bearer for truth and justice during the primary at a national level, at a highly visible level,” West said. But then “he endorsed Hillary Clinton. ... a neoliberal disaster.”

“A neoliberal disaster is one who generates a mass incarceration regime, who deregulates banks and markets, who promotes chaos of regime change in Libya, supports military coups in Honduras, undermines some of the magnificent efforts in Haiti of working people, and so forth,” West explained. “That’s the record of Hillary Clinton. So there was no way—when my dear brother, who I love very deeply, Bernie Sanders said she will make an outstanding president, I said, “Oh, I disagree with my brother. I think she’ll—I don’t think she’ll make an outstanding president at all.” She’s a militarist. She’s a hawk. She could take us into war with Russia. She could take us into war with Iran. So, I mean, I think she’s—she’s dangerous in terms of her neoliberal ideology—not as a woman, because I’m supporting, of course, my dear sister Jill Stein.

—Posted by Alexander Reed Kelly.

Transcript:

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/cornel_west_why_i_endorse_green_partys_jill_20160721