Author Topic: I Choose Ted  (Read 3559 times)

Offline sinkspur

I Choose Ted
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »
I Choose Ted

by JONAH GOLDBERG

July 21, 2016 9:16 AM

I find it nothing short of hilarious how so many seasoned political journalists (including many of my colleagues — and betters – at Fox) are visibly shocked and appalled by what Cruz did last night. Ever since I was a kid, the political press – left, right and center – has whined that there’s no drama at conventions any more. It’s all scripted. It’s just an infomercial. It’s just such a shame.

Well here comes Ted Cruz providing exactly the sort of drama they yearned for and many of these same voices are aghast at Ted Cruz’s effrontery. The word has gone out across the land: This is an outrage! Not since Caligula appointed his horse to the Roman senate has a political figure showed such contempt for decorum and the solemnity of politics! Last night and this morning, across the news channels, I’ve watched many people I respect – and a great many more I don’t — talk about what a sore loser Cruz is.

There are two things to say about that. First, many of these people are willingly buying into Manafort’s stagecraft. The Trump team knew about the speech beforehand. The outrage on the floor may have ended up being genuine, but it started out manufactured. I understand that Chris Christie will spew whatever fake outrage his masters instruct, like a trained seal barking for another herring. But I don’t see why so many supposedly seasoned political observers are volunteering for service.

Second, what the Hell are people talking about? This is part of the corruption of Trump. He called Ted Cruz a liar every day and in every way for months (it used to be considered a breach in decorum to straight up call an opponent a liar, never mind use it as a nickname). The insults against his wife, the cavalier birtherism, the disgusting JFK assassination theories about his Dad: These things are known. And yet the big conversation of the day is Ted Cruz’s un-sportsmanlike behavior? For real? But forget Cruz for a moment. For over a year, Trump has degraded politics in some of the most vile ways. His respect for the Republican Party as the home of conservatism is on par with Napoleon’s respect for churches when he converted them into stables.

But that’s okay because he’s Trump. He’s a “winner.” And now that he’s the nominee, the Smart Set and the Mob is telling me that Cruz is the outrageous violator of norms and good manners. Let’s all look down our noses at the sore loser everybody, as we bend the knee and make every apology possible for the sorest, most ungracious, winner in American history. When I watch Trump’s kitchen cabinet of yes men, rise from their “Thank you sir, may I have another?” prostrations, just long enough to talk about Cruz’s self-interestedness, I have to laugh. Where’s your shinebox, governor Christie?

Ted Cruz has never been my favorite politician. And I am not so naïve that I don’t recognize the gamble Cruz is making.

But if the choice is between forgiving Ted Cruz’s obvious political calculation to become the standard bearer of an authentic conservatism or Donald Trump’s lizard-brain narcissism where no principle or cause outranks his own glandular desire to be worshipped, like a conqueror atop the carcass of conservatism, I choose Ted.

If the choice is between, say, congratulating the Boy Scoutish obedience of Mike Pence as he sells off bits and pieces of his soul like jewels from a family heirloom just to survive another day, or Ted Cruz who took the tougher road and refused to join the mewling mobs of toadies, apologists, human weather vanes, difference-splitters and vacillators, I choose Ted.

If the choice is between suspending the rules of decorum, decency, and civility for Donald Trump as he casually bad mouths his own country to the New York Times just as he secures the presidential nomination of the Republican Party or accepting that we are in dark and uncharted waters and conscience must light the way, I choose Ted. 

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438159/i-choose-ted
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

Re: I Choose Ted
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
I understand that Chris Christie will spew whatever fake outrage his masters instruct, like a trained seal barking for another herring.

Just spit my coffee out !   :silly:

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:10:21 pm »
Me too, Jonah!   :patriot:
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:14:28 pm »

5 Star Article
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:20:45 pm »
I stand with Ted.
Let it burn.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 02:23:27 pm »
And Ted stood with Trump before he stood against him.
 ****sheep****
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:24:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline chae

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:55 pm »
@TomSea

And God loved Lucifer at one point in time too...what's your point?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 02:40:32 pm »
OUTSTANDING! :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:36 pm »
 ****sheep****

Until Trump called him "Lyin' Ted". Until Trump said Ted's wife was ugly. Until Trump accused Ted's father of being part of the Kennedy assassination conspiracy.

You support a despicable man.   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »
I choose Ted as well. I stand with this man of principle.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:31 pm »
 ****sheep****

Absurd. Cruz was polite and collegial with all of his OPPONENTS. The candidates were working against each other to win the nomination.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 02:46:35 pm »
Until Trump called him "Lyin' Ted". Until Trump said Ted's wife was ugly. Until Trump accused Ted's father of being part of the Kennedy assassination conspiracy.

The Cruz campaign was pulling dirty campaign tricks all the way **nononono*

To Ben Carson, the mailers, all the way to the Carolinas.

Yeah, Trump's words are not kind, cheating is not kind either.

So, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Michael Reagan, etc. many Conservatives, Jeff Sessions, support a despicable man. Alright.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 02:48:09 pm »
Cruz's moment could be a history will absolve me

Or it may be a Joe McCarthy decline sort of moment.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 02:50:24 pm »
The Cruz campaign was pulling dirty campaign tricks all the way **nononono*

To Ben Carson, the mailers, all the way to the Carolinas.

Yeah, Trump's words are not kind, cheating is not kind either.

So, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Michael Reagan, etc. many Conservatives, Jeff Sessions, support a despicable man. Alright.

Yes, yes they do.  They are compromising their principles for the sake of a political party.

And it's shameful.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 02:52:26 pm »
 ****sheep****

Come on, do you really want us to list what his Orangeness has flip-flopped in the past year,  Hell, he flip- flopped 4 times in one day awhile back on one issue.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »
r.

You said it, not me.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 03:38:07 pm »
Naining it down...hard.

Donald Trump’s lizard-brain narcissism where no principle or cause outranks his own glandular desire to be worshipped, like a conqueror atop the carcass of conservatism,

Poetry right there.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:41:34 pm by don-o »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 03:41:30 pm »
I love so much of Jonah's writings...not 100% but this one was great.

Like you, I like a lot of Jonah's work, maybe not100% all of the time.
This is one of the  good ones.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »

I put TomSea on Ignore.  Nothing he says  is worthy or true.  He gets off the Trump reservation, known as the other convention thread, to show their "servile puppy" devotiion to Trump.   Thanks to Ted Cruz for coming up with "I am not a servile puppy" for Trump.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 03:51:28 pm »
Yes, yes they do.  They are compromising their principles for the sake of a political party.

And it's shameful.

Just like with Mitt Romney?

So, now whose bellyaching about Russia and Putin?

Support Romney, we may have never had a Trump.

That's how much such a purist philosophy gets.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 04:18:14 pm »
I stand with Ted Cruz!!!

Reigniting the Promise of America!!!!

#NeverTrump
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:18 pm »
Rush is on the air now, claiming Cruz's speech was a brilliant ploy by - Trump. LOL

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:03 pm »
Naining it down...hard.

Donald Trump’s lizard-brain narcissism where no principle or cause outranks his own glandular desire to be worshipped, like a conqueror atop the carcass of conservatism,

Poetry right there.

The boy sure can turn a phrase.  I had a line from Blazing Saddles come to mind to describe his style, but being in polite company and all, I shall refrain from posting it.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:48 pm »
Rush also said that the only thing that happened with Heidi Cruz was someone yelling "Goldman Sachs" over and over again.

Rush endorsed Cruz; are we to see another conservative drubbed; as Ted is the only authentic conservative there is?

And Rush has some sense to his article, if Trump loses, Cruz will look so much better, "Only Ted Cruz was telling us about Trump, we should have listened".