Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - THURSDAY, JULY 21  (Read 41759 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - THURSDAY, JULY 21
« Reply #1025 on: July 22, 2016, 10:11:35 pm »
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/07/22/cnn-probably-regrets-polling-viewers-trumps-rnc-speech-well-wow-368574
:silly:
That's hilarious!

Consider CNN: (AKA the Communist News Network) An obscenely Liberal icon of the Mainstream Media, known for being Clinton sycophants and not ever not supporting Liberal causes, would attract as a general rule an audience of similar political sympathies.

When CNN viewers were polled they felt Trump was 'taking the country in the right direction' by fairly large margins.

Think about that for a second, and do consider who was being asked what.

A Liberal audience agrees with Trump. If you don't have buyer's remorse yet, just... wait... for... it....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #1026 on: July 22, 2016, 10:12:48 pm »
I know some don't like the guy, or think he's nutty, but damn if he isn't spot on, more often than not.

I recommend listening to his breakdown of Trumps Speech though: Glenn Beck's break down of Trumps speech - Good and Bad

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1027 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:30 pm »
Well, yeh.  That goes without saying.  I'm just saying, they keep pushing RINO's and non-conservatives on us as our choices and then push the meme that we HAVE to choose the lesser of 2 evils.  THAT notion is what my main "insanity" idea was coming from.  :beer:

Yep, I'm taking myself out of their game.  I am in good company with many others who realized they don't have to choose one of their two losers.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1028 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:58 pm »
The very BEST thing he could do is walk away... Right now.... Whatever 'dog ate my homework' excuse will do.
Too many Doctor Peppers....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1029 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:56 pm »
Actually, I think what most offended Mr. Trump was the line "God bless each and every one of you."  I think he probably saw that as a sly implication by Sen. Cruz that The Donald is irreligious.  Notice that Mr. Trump finished his speech with a similar line ("God bless you and goodnight! I love you!"), which was not in the prepared remarks as they were released to the media before the speech.  At the time he said it I thought it was odd that he didn't go on to say "and God bless the United States of America", as most speakers do when delivering that line at the end of a speech. Perhaps The Donald isn't sure what one is supposed to say when invoking God?   :pondering:

That's what I think anyway.   :shrug:
You may be right. He gets bent over references to principles and The Almighty.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1030 on: July 22, 2016, 10:17:31 pm »
Then they're all idiots for shooting at the wrong target.
Oh I agree, but the Marketing Department works for Trump. Those are his people, and if they like their jobs, they'll do what the boss says. (For all I know, though, he hired outside people for the campaign, but it would make sense to use in-house assets when he could charge those to the campaign at a profit).

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #1031 on: July 22, 2016, 10:23:14 pm »
The very BEST thing he could do is walk away... Right now.... Whatever 'dog ate my homework' excuse will do.

Oh, it's too bad. I have this malevolent wart on my small left toe that forces me to drop out of the ticket.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1032 on: July 22, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »
Oh, it's too bad. I have this malevolent wart on my small left toe that forces me to drop out of the ticket.

"I'm sooo sorry but the protracted recovery time for my emergency hangnail surgery will inevitably cause me to be unable to fulfill my duties to the campaign... For that unfortunate reason..."

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #1033 on: July 22, 2016, 10:28:13 pm »
 :silly: Hillary Clinton quotes Ted Cruz in Tampa: ‘Vote your conscience!’

Hillary Clinton @HillaryClinton
“I never thought I’d say these words, but Ted Cruz was right...in this election, do the right thing and vote your conscience.” —Hillary

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #1034 on: July 22, 2016, 10:31:21 pm »
            The Hill Verified account @thehill

Poll: Trump cuts Clinton's lead by 9 points http://hill.cm/4uhU3O7

Ben Shapiro@benshapiro   35m35 minutes ago

Ben Shapiro Retweeted The Hill
LOL! He's still at 38. She just dropped to 41. 

HonestJohn

« Reply #1035 on: July 22, 2016, 10:32:47 pm »
"I'm sooo sorry but the protracted recovery time for my emergency hangnail surgery will inevitably cause me to be unable to fulfill my duties to the campaign... For that unfortunate reason..."

Trump farted, but for some reason, the stench is not dissipating.  I can't get within 100 feet of him without getting violently ill.  For that reason, I am dropping out so that someone else can breathe his fragrance.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1036 on: July 22, 2016, 10:37:53 pm »
Trump farted, but for some reason, the stench is not dissipating.  I can't get within 100 feet of him without getting violently ill.  For that reason, I am dropping out so that someone else can breathe his fragrance.

LOL!

In all honesty, I think the out-gassing is not restricted to that particular orifice... As my uncle was fond of saying, "The voice is different, but the breath smells the same."   :silly:

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #1037 on: July 22, 2016, 10:42:46 pm »
Maybe our primary base ought to be voting for the candidate that has the greatest intraparty crossover appeal?  In essence, vote for the guy who's everybody's number #2 choice.

That is what I thought I was doing when I started out with Walker-  electable but not Jeb!

Cruz then outlasted Jeb. 
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #1038 on: July 22, 2016, 10:48:41 pm »
Good review.  This is the most objective assessment so far.

Hope you are right that Trump pulls it off, even though he is an imperfect vessel. 

It was a typical Trump speech except it was organized and coherent because of the teleprompters.   He did a good job with problem identification and hit the theme of "I'm with You to make America great" repeatedly.  He was forceful and focused.

He really lit into Hillary which I think was useful in this "Hobson's Choice" type election.  She cannot be President.

I just really disagree with his trade policy views and I don't remember him even mentioning the Constitution.  And, I'm hoping that Ivanka doesn't have too much policy influence on him because her agenda would have played well to the delegates next week in Philadelphia.   I sat throughout her speech shaking my head a bit because all I saw in her "women's issues" was more Fed interference in private businesses.

It was a very good night for the Trump fans and I think it will have struck a resonant chord with apolitical, middle class folks who have really seen their economic and physical security compromised under the 8 feckless and treacherous years of Obama.   He certainly made the case for #NeverHillary.     But he did very little to assuage Constitutional Conservatives that he has any program that doesn't require the maintenance of our burdensome, over-reaching Federal Government.   He did NOTHING to assuage Social Conservatives - his will be a socially liberal Administration. 

You can tell from the discussion in this thread he did nothing to change the commitment of Cruz/Constitutional conservatives to their #NeverTrump vows.

Time will tell I guess how this night plays out in the larger picture.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #1039 on: July 22, 2016, 10:52:17 pm »
Interesting take. People often laugh when they are nervous. I think Pence's political future was going up in flames while he stood there backing that nonsense.

Nervous laugh is the assessment.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #1040 on: July 22, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »
Here is an example of Trumpian progressivism I just had sent to me on twitter.

These are people who have fully embraced ends justify the means progressivism and are completely lost to any kind of constitutional conservatism. I've long warned that using progressive tactis was a double edged sword.
Wow. Too bad they want the impossible. Setting up a king will never make you free.
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #1041 on: July 22, 2016, 11:01:32 pm »
Good review.  This is the most objective assessment so far.

Hope you are right that Trump pulls it off, even though he is an imperfect vessel.

I hope the douchebag demon doesn't pull it off

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #1042 on: July 22, 2016, 11:01:58 pm »
It was a great smear, timed to come just before the Northeastern State primaries, in a region where the Kennedys are still looked upon as 'royalty' by many. Like the other smears which were trotted out one or two days before an election or caucus, targeted toward the demographics in the regions involved, and designed to have the maximum negative impact on his opponents, specifically Cruz.

I have little doubt the folks in his marketing department burned the midnight oil and earned yuuge bonuses for their efforts, whether they actually got paid a dime extra (on salary) or not.
Draper Sterling had to do something to earn those campaign contributions.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1043 on: July 22, 2016, 11:08:52 pm »
Wow. Too bad they want the impossible. Setting up a king will never make you free.
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."

Nobody ever gets their own dictator.

Ernst Röhm was as loyal as could be to Hitler, a founding member of the nazi party, leader of the German Worker's party, and eventually leader of the SA (Brownshirts). He was a primary target in the night of the long knives because the skills he used to help bring Hitler to power were the skills that made him a threat to Hitler.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #1044 on: July 22, 2016, 11:15:50 pm »
:silly: Hillary Clinton quotes Ted Cruz in Tampa: ‘Vote your conscience!’

Hillary Clinton @HillaryClinton
“I never thought I’d say these words, but Ted Cruz was right...in this election, do the right thing and vote your conscience.” —Hillary

At least the democrats have a candidate who represents the corrupt, rotten principles for which they stand. They can vote their conscience, because they believe in the lies and drivel Hillary spouts.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #1045 on: July 22, 2016, 11:17:47 pm »
At least the democrats have a candidate who represents the corrupt, rotten principles for which they stand. They can vote their conscience, because they believe in the lies and drivel Hillary spouts.

Ted also said not to vote for Hillary.  Hopefully Ted and Trump can work it out.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:20:20 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1046 on: July 22, 2016, 11:19:12 pm »

I saw Perez Hilton say that he wished the democrat party had someone who would speak "truth to party power" like Ted Cruz.

geronl

« Reply #1047 on: July 22, 2016, 11:21:40 pm »

Ted also said not to vote for Hillary.  Hopefully Ted and Trump can work it out.

Hillary and Trump are twins.

Ted has been way too hard to Hillary, Trump been soft on her and they can still make up like the good ol' days.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1048 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:17 pm »
@Bigun

Yep. there is lots of space, but you need to get the HAZMAT cleanup team in there beforehand.

Without a doubt!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1049 on: July 22, 2016, 11:41:20 pm »
I really didn't know what to think about Pence, he pushed some religious freedom bills but then just
"ran away" like a Monty Python & The Holy Grail movie scene when push came to shove. Now watching him stand beside Trump as he went all conspiracy theory again and not reacting to the lies with any human emotion as one would expect tells me that I don't need to set my standards too high for him. He is playing the part of the fool. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:42:10 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....