Author Topic: WOW! POLITICAL SUICIDE! TED CRUZ REFUSES TO ENDORSE TRUMP – CROWD BOOS HIM OFF STAGE  (Read 77566 times)

Offline skeeter

Yes, in some respects he did that......but more so he's still campaigning and attempting to set the standards by which people should vote......and continued so this morning with the Texas Delegates meeting.

Interesting too that he took the limelight away from Pence.....deliberate or not, and this with 'the media' once again determining Cruz's "decision" would be an either or highlight to the Convention.

Pence got upstaged by Cruz....and has also upstaged, at least this morning, Trumps big night tonight.

He encouraged people to to get out and vote for their families, vote for candidates they trust, and vote their conscious. And Trump fans are enraged.

Whats wrong with this picture.

Offline biff

olemomster - I think Trumpanzee is rather fitting. You don't?

Offline skeeter

Cruzpac started it with the Melania photo.  whether or not Ted knew about it beforehand is irrelevant, since it seems to be popular to blame ALL the actions of the supporters on their candidate.

The Cruz campaign was not without some sins itself - and is expected (NOT supported by me) in politics.  But at the end of the day, if you are a member of a party, you are expected to support the eventual winner to bring the party together, NOT fracture it some more.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/03/donald-trump-ted-cruz/

Liz Mair and Make America Awesome, a totally unaffiliated PAC, started it. Not "Cruzpac".

The truth matters.

Offline sinkspur

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
Cruz was a true statesman last night.  Booing Cruz who said to vote your conscience, fight for freedom and the Constitution was revealing of how low the Republicans have sunk.

I find it very odd that so much attention in the Trump campaign is on his children. NY Chris Collins was pointing to them as the reason to elect Trump- when has this ever happened in the history of presidential politics?

Having grown children, Trump has made them proxies for the campaign. There is no, "the kids are off-limits" here. But there is another element at play. Trump, being in the evening of his days, is looking for legacy. He seeks to establish the Trump name alongside Bush and Kennedy. We see this thought pattern emerging among Trump sycophants, "I'd love to work for Eric and Ivanka," etc. Naturally this transfers to the political realm as well. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. If Trump wins, Cruz and Kasich's presidential chances are over forever and their chances for other high office are diminished. If Trump loses, Cruz and Kasich will be blamed and the result will be the same.

The smart thing would have been to urge others to vote strait R or say nothing at all. In my opinion, Cruz and Kasich have both ended their presidential chances forever.
While we agree on the first part, if Trump wins it will be because of two factors. Hillary is about the sleaziest and most patently unlikable criminal to run for public office since Marion Barry, and it will be a sad commentary on a hopefully conflicted electorate as well.
As far as ending Cruz or Kasich political careers, I think not.

If Trump wins, he has four years to make a complete mess of things, and from just what he has done creating unity and all that in the last four months, I would wager that (if there hasn't been an extensive thermonuclear war), he will have a legacy of screwups that will rival or exceed those of any sitting president. He will, inevitably and to the great consternation of those who have sold their souls to stand with him, have damaged the Republican brand, but by association ended not only his own political career but those of those who went out of their way to support him. Assuming, that is, that he takes no extraordinary measures to retain power, at which point there would be a 'fundamental change' in our system of Government, and not a return to the Constitutional Republic we crave.

I don't see that as damaging to the man who would not go along to get along.

If Trump loses, Cruz will have stood steadfast in the breach and called for Constitutional principles and freedom, for voters to vote their consciences, and essentially have made the statement that this was One Big A$$ed Mistake America, all over again.

Essentially, again, not damaging to the man who would not lay his reputation down to support a "LOSER", as that candidate might characterize the situation if applied to someone else.

Integrity and character count for something, and Cruz will have displayed those. By telling those assembled and watching or reading his comments to vote their conscience up and down the ticket, Cruz told no one how to vote, only to vote for the candidate that they felt worthy of their vote, who aligned with their personal values. He did not say to NOT vote for anyone in particular, just as he did not say to VOTE for anyone in particular. For those of us who viewed the continuous attacks on his honesty, integrity, marital fidelity, his spouse and even his relationship with his children, and his father as well, I'd say Cruz showed remarkable restraint, simply keeping it about the country and not specific people, including himself.

YMMV, but I think Ted Cruz will be around for a while. I fully expect that Donald Trump will, one way or another, continue to seek to harm Senator Cruz, and will likely contribute to his political opponents in the future.

Lies have a way of being debunked, and they have been. All that remains is for the purveyors of those lies to quit repeating that which they should by now know not to be true before the last person with the facts steps in and straightens out the record. Distortions of fact are often removed  by the lens of time, so I have confidence this will occur, especially in the face of either failure of the candidate at the polls or failure if elected to fulfill the promises made to his sycophants.

Cruz stood fast. Whether people agree or not they either respect that or betray their own guilt by attacking it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Ted is a complete ass hole and the majority at the convention think so. He is so dead in the party he really played it wrong by not honoring his pledge. He is a jerk and to think I once liked him never again though.

Ted Cruz is a TRUE patriot who did what he did last night knowing full well how many idiots there are around who would not approve!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Poser

Kasich at least did not go out in front of the crowd and try to exploit the opportunity of the national media spotlight to promote himself.  This was Cruz at his elf-serving worst.  I was a Cruz supporter and have yet to support Trump.  But I am intentionally not trying to rain on the Trump parade, as Cruz has done.

I suggest that is the election appears close, that you bite the bullet and vote straight R. The disposition of the supreme court makes the choice obvious for me. Even a bad President can create long-term problems with his SCOTUS choices. Just look at Obama's choices.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The hypocrisy of Trump worshipers staggers me.

I used to be like that but not now!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline chae

@oldmomster

Yes, a pledge is a pledge...Just like that forsaking all other, til death do us part that Trump swore to Ivana, and then Marla, and now Melania...

Silver Pines

I'll give it a shot. I was a Cruz supporter and now support Trump.

To me it's about class and manners. Cruz had several choices including endorsement and not speaking. Since he is a Republican, he should not have attended the convention and should have kept his mouth shut if he couldn't have supported the candidate. Since he chose to speak (at great length), he should have supported the candidate.

Speaking and not supporting his party's candidate at the nationally televised convention is a clear snub and obvious non-support of the candidate. Saying "he did not, not support the candidate" is ridiculous. Publicly not stating your support of the party's candidate at the convention is classless. I will not support Cruz the next time around.

Kasich made the same mistake. I wouldn't have ever supported him in any case because he's a closet liberal (IMHO of course).

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the response.

Class and manners is congratulating your opponent on his nomination, and refraining from a verbal punch in the mouth after said nominee slandered his wife and his father.  Cruz earned the right to speak at the convention and always said he would be there to address his delegates.  Trump is no king who deserves fealty and Cruz was under no obligation to endorse him.  Cruz's obligation is to uphold the Constitution, and he spoke about that last night.

Class and manners is NOT okaying a speech and then sending your pro-Putin thug onto the floor to whip up boos in an attempt to humiliate the speaker (which backfired beautifully).  Class and manners isn't coming out onto the floor to try and take the spotlight away from the speaker in a pathetic attempt to massage a damaged, insecure ego.

I agree with you about Kasich.  But you can blame this absence of an endorsement on Trump's stupidity and amorality, which extend to mocking the physical appearance of Cruz's wife, and trying to implicate his elderly pastor father in a decades-old murder case.  Cruz did the honorable thing last night.

I think we might contribute to his Senate campaign, and we aren't even in Texas.

Offline Just_Victor

@biff

I realize the temptation to demean, but it really doesn't add anything to the discussion.  Trumpsters or Trump supporter works equally well, and you don't end up diminishing yourself with the name calling.

And besides, when it come to demeaning, they do a pretty fair job of that themselves.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:11:10 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I understand Cruz's hostility towards Trump and it may well be unforgivable.

On the other hand though, Cruz campaigned with Trump, was buddy buddy for months, his camp pulled that trick in Iowa against Carson and the campaign was accused of a number of other underhanded tricks like those mailers that were made out to look official.

"Cruz campaign criticized over mailers sent to potential Iowa voters"
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/01/31/cruz-campaign-criticized-over-mailers-sent-to-potential-iowa-voters.html

Seizing the moral high-ground in this case is limited.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:11:36 pm by TomSea »

Offline thackney

Many. Let me start with Lindsay Graham, Paul Ryan and John Roberts.

You would prefer that Ted Cruz tell you to vote for them?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

Trump rescinds pledge to back Republican nominee; Cruz, Kasich refuse to commit support
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/30/trump-rescinds-pledge-to-back-republican-nominee-cruz-kasich-refuse-to-commit-support.html
March 30, 2016

Listening to Briebart Radio on my way in this morning, a few things stood out:

(1) People called in and complained that Cruz did not keep his more on the pladge issue. They conveniently forget that in March, Trump already rescinded his pledge to do the same.

(2) Reagan did not endorse Ford, he only called for unity.

(3) People how saw the speech had a different opinion to those who couldn't see it, and only read the transcript.People who read the transcript thought it was excellent, while those that heard it live tended to see they were disappointed that Cruz didn't go out of his way to endorse Trump.

(4) if a request to "vote your conscience" doesn't say vote for Trump over Hillary, and has people up in arms, what does this really say?
No one, who follows the law, and the constitution, would ever vote for Hillary if they voted their conscience.

Offline oldmomster

You are just sooooooo classy, and representative of a TRUE conservative.

Silver Pines

As ugly as that was,  I think when you insult and lie about a man's wife and family there is no going back.

I respect Sen Cruz now more than ever.

I stayed up late last night reading the reactions of people on social media, and it was very interesting.

I saw a lot of posts that went "I never supported Cruz before but he deserves a second look" and even "still not a fan, but the guy earned my respect."

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Posting that picture as evidence is moronic. Shall I post the pictures of Trump being "buddy buddy" with the Clintons??? As wedding guests? Playing golf with Bill repeatedly? And how about the hundreds of thousands of dollars he's given the Clintons to further Bill and Hillary's evil causes. Those are facts and actual deeds done by your guy and provide a very specific "perception" to anyone who is honest about it.

It's what morans do!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WAC

..... Cruz was grandstanding and tried to grab the focus at the end of a race that he had lost. He should have been more gracious and humble. Going down the road he did at the GOP convention, which is meant to unify factions, was a fatal mistake.

Well Cruz DID hy-jack the convention....and unfortunately could have otherwise focused on just as you mentioned.......unifying the people.
Instead  he set a wedge in it as we see today continues by continuing to campaign.  Also sad to hear him mention Trumps attacks today as it certainly shows he's still nursing those wounds.....though understandable.....but it makes it see like he's a "sore" loser trying to gain sympathy at the wrong time.

Offline aligncare

He encouraged people to to get out and vote for their families, vote for candidates they trust, and vote their conscious. And Trump fans are enraged.

Whats wrong with this picture.

There's nothing special about voting your conscience. All people do. That's why politics is so passionate, unpredictable, volatile. Where I vote the curtain closes behind me. Then it's just me, the ballot and my conscience. Real private like. Is it done a special way where you come from?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Having grown children, Trump has made them proxies for the campaign. There is no, "the kids are off-limits" here. But there is another element at play. Trump, being in the evening of his days, is looking for legacy. He seeks to establish the Trump name alongside Bush and Kennedy. We see this thought pattern emerging among Trump sycophants, "I'd love to work for Eric and Ivanka," etc. Naturally this transfers to the political realm as well.

Yes, this. The last thing we need is another political dynasty. The public servants have set themselves apart from the people in a ruling class. So very far from the Founding Principles. I would like to a viable third party- the Constitution Party is where I will find a home.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Silver Pines

I suggest that is the election appears close, that you bite the bullet and vote straight R. The disposition of the supreme court makes the choice obvious for me. Even a bad President can create long-term problems with his SCOTUS choices. Just look at Obama's choices.

Trump recently said that he doesn't care if we lose the Senate to the Democrats.   He won't make conservative appointees to the Court.

Offline oldmomster

@oldmomster

Yes, a pledge is a pledge...Just like that forsaking all other, til death do us part that Trump swore to Ivana, and then Marla, and now Melania...

Last I checked, this is a republican primary, not a vote for pastor.  If we eliminated all congresspeople who have been divorced, DC would be empty.  The fact that everyone would like their candidate to be pure as driven snow is a given - its NOT the outcome we got.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Back on topic...

Cruz' speech of last night will grow larger over time. It will not diminish him.

ABSOLUTELY !

Best political speech since Reagan's  A time for Choosing IMHO!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

Well Cruz DID hy-jack the convention....and unfortunately could have otherwise focused on just as you mentioned.......unifying the people.
Instead  he set a wedge in it as we see today continues by continuing to campaign.  Also sad to hear him mention Trumps attacks today as it certainly shows he's still nursing those wounds.....though understandable.....but it makes it see like he's a "sore" loser trying to gain sympathy at the wrong time.

I'm just reading your anti-Trump emails and laughing, lol.