Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20  (Read 38048 times)

Offline LonestarDream

Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« Reply #375 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:12 pm »
That's kinda funny coming from  Fat Boy.

Chris Christie: "I Weigh Too Much Because I Eat Too Much"

http://gothamist.com/2011/07/29/chris_christie_i_weigh_too_much_bec.php

Basically admits that his lack of discipline causes health problems.

Thought he had lap band surgery to check his weight....
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #376 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:23 pm »
Perhaps Sen. Cruz was extending the benefit of the doubt to Mr. Trump, until Mr. Trump showed his true self.  Lots of people do that, you know.

It's not hypocrisy, just decency.

Chris Kyle's widow quickly thanked Ted Cruz for his kindness and respect for Rick Perry on the day Perry dropped out (She had endorsed Perry). She called Cruz one of the great men of Texas.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #377 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:32 pm »
Perhaps Sen. Cruz was extending the benefit of the doubt to Mr. Trump, until Mr. Trump showed his true self.  Lots of people do that, you know.

It's not hypocrisy, just decency.

Exactly.  A LOT has happened since those pictures were taken.  I gave Trump the benefit of the doubt at first too, so I sympathize with Cruz. 

geronl

« Reply #378 on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:17 pm »
It'll be good to hear Scott Walker speak, one of the Governors who have more than hot air to their name like the Senators. Walker or Perry would have been ideal and have proven records.

Walker who dissed the TEA Party for wanting to run primary opponents against RINO GOPe leaders

and the "heartless" Perry who think wifi along the border will stop immigration

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #379 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:39 pm »
I disagree...

If you listened to Cruz's speech today at the rally in Cleveland, and I was transcribing it for my husband, here is the gist of what he said:

Cruz says "Our party now has a nominee" and the whole crowd BOOS

Then a Trump plane flies by over head...and Cruz says "That was pretty well orchestrated"

Then he asked someone on his staff if he had emailed the plane to do that, right when he said that...everyone laughed

Cruz goes on: What remains unshakeable is his faith in the men and women at the rally....the obligation to follow our conscience, to speak the truth and truth is unchanging.  To defend liberty....a lot of talk about unity, and he wants to see unity and the way to see do that is to unite behind shared principles and to unite in defense of liberty.  For us to empower the grass roots.

The answer isn't going to come from Wash DC and it won't come from both parties, it'll only come from the grassroots and we the people.

He then reads something Heidi found on internet about camels and asses (I'm sure you've heard the joke)

He's still convinced God is not done with this country yet and if we are faithful, speak the truth, defend liberty and the constitution and empower the people, he promises there are better days ahead

People start chanting/shouting "2020"

He then talks about Indiana, and confesses one of the things he's sorriest about that he most regrets is after suspending his campaign....the group of volunteers...and he's upset that he could not stay and hug each and every one of them, but he didn't have the strength not to break down. He said they had tv cameras everywhere and he wasn't going to let them turn "Lyin Ted" into "Cryin Ted".  He said he lasted til about 2 people and he had to go back stage, but
Heidi stayed and hugged every person there.

He explained this afternoon rally was an opportunity for them to hug the people and thank them and say they are humbled and privileged to do it side by side fighting for this country they love with all their hearts.

Levin was playing some of his speech.  Damn, Cruz sounds good!  Not a great speech necessarily, but a passionate, clear, heartfelt speech by an honest man. 

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #380 on: July 20, 2016, 11:20:13 pm »
I gave Trump the benefit of the doubt at first too, so I sympathize with Cruz.

Same here.  They could have made a good team until Trump decided that Cruz was a threat and started the first of his personal attacks by questioning the religious faith of Cruz's Cuban father (and by extension Cruz).
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #381 on: July 20, 2016, 11:21:06 pm »

If Cruz is the conservative and Trump is liberal as so many say, why were Cruz and Trump so buddy buddy?

Hypocrisy.
And speaking of hypocrisy, haven't I seen about the same picture with Trump and Hillary?
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #382 on: July 20, 2016, 11:23:30 pm »
I take it @R4 TrumPence is a bit bitter about last night.  I've learned through a lot of trial and error to NEVER PISS OFF A WOMAN...lol.
I have learned through much error and trial that sometimes it cannot be avoided. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #383 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:48 pm »
Anyone could read my history on FR and see that I gave Trump the same good will at the beginning

I called him for what he was and is on day one. Running interference for Hillary.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #384 on: July 20, 2016, 11:27:23 pm »
Does anyone else have this (somewhat irrational) premonition that DT is going to walk out on stage Thursday, say "You all are a bunch of suckers, thus endeth the GOP, enjoy the Clintons,"  drop the mic, then walk out?
Not until Halloween.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #385 on: July 20, 2016, 11:27:24 pm »

If Cruz is the conservative and Trump is liberal as so many say, why were Cruz and Trump so buddy buddy?

Hypocrisy.

If Trump is the conservative as so many say, and Hillary is liberal, why were Trump and Hillary so buddy buddy?

Hypocrisy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #386 on: July 20, 2016, 11:27:27 pm »
But it was just a rally preview, right?  Not a speech speech.

It was the speech Cruz gave earlier.  Not tonight's.   Which I understand will take place at 8:45 CST.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #387 on: July 20, 2016, 11:28:57 pm »
Anyone could read my history on FR and see that I gave Trump the same good will at the beginning as Cruz and the posters here.  That deal is dead.  He killed it months ago.  Plus I've learned more about his history than I knew at the beginning.  NO FREAKING POSSIBLE WAY I WILL EVER VOTE FOR HIM FOR ANYTHING -- except maybe Chief Pooper Scooper.  He could then walk in circles and clean up after himself.

Yep.  That too.

I doubted his motives from the very beginning as well, but then still decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.  That was a HUGE mistake, and too many conservatives made it.  The more I saw of him, and more I learned of his history; it became obvious that he was a complete fraud and liar running a scorched earth campaign (which told me he would be fine if Hillary got elected).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:34:50 pm by Eowyn »

geronl

« Reply #388 on: July 20, 2016, 11:29:34 pm »
Not until Halloween.

It'll be too late to do anything about it then

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #389 on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:15 pm »
You may be far more confident in how you see your tomorrows unfold.  I am a simple man that knows not each day if I will be blessed to awaken once again as I lay down to rest.  As simple as I am, I can recall that when I laid my head to rest on September 10, 2001, I had no foresight as to what I would awaken to.  That recollection serves to remind me of my place in the grand scheme.  YMMV.

Nice to see you back here, Mr. Katzenjammer.

While we may disagree on Mr. Trump, you have always been a source of thoughtful and personally respectful commentary, of which there is always a great need, here and elsewhere.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #390 on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:49 pm »
It was the speech Cruz gave earlier.  Not tonight's.   Which I understand will take place at 8:45 CST.

Cruz got a plum time slot.  Here is hoping he is gracious toward Trump on unifying on constitution and liberty principles. 

I am thinking about budget deals down the road.

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2016, 11:31:36 pm »
If Cruz is such a liar, why would Trump want his endorsement?

Hypocrisy.

THIS^^^^

Bears repeating. blij26

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2016, 11:32:42 pm »
Cruz got a plum time slot.  Here is hoping he is gracious toward Trump on unifying on constitution and liberty principles. 

I am thinking about budget deals down the road.

"Gracious toward Trump"?  Wow. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2016, 11:34:00 pm »
Josh Barro ‏@jbarro  8m8 minutes ago
RNC house band playing "My Sharona"

"Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind, I always get it up for the touch of the younger kind"

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro  7m7 minutes ago
Donald Trump always loved hearing this song at Jeffrey Epstein's house
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2016, 11:34:09 pm »

He'd better not endorse Trump in any way shape or form. He'll try to unify Republicans with a grand vision, no doubt.

Unfortunately, I can't ever support the Republican Party again. They have gone so far away from the principles of Reagan than I do not foresee any chance of supporting them.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2016, 11:35:42 pm »
"Gracious toward Trump"?  Wow.

Cruz has no downside .  Especially if he hues to the theme from this afternoon and speaks a few more kind words toward Trump than Perry did,

Or Rubio...

Or Kasich...

Or Jindal...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2016, 11:36:09 pm »
The Tumps and the Clintons have been buddies for along time so this really shouldn't be a surprise.

What bothers me is how much nonsense is in those words she borrowed from Michelle. For starters: 1.  Scaricty of resources will stop you far sooner than the size of your dreams. 2. You are not going to be happy trying to to live for yourself and your dreams anyways. It's just stupid advice. It was stupid then and its stupid now. It runs the ragged edge of liberal "I'm entitled to everything" claptrap and its not something you want to teach your kids.
Actually, the vibe I got from it was on the order of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww&feature=youtu.be

C S Lewis

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:26 pm »
GUYS:

Let's stay over here and enjoy our discussion.  Please don't venture over to the LIVE thread to stir up stuff.   It serves no purpose except agitation.  And, if they venture over here, treat them with respect and disagree firmly or ignore.

I vote for ignore.

Just trying to show the many lurkers (and there are MANY) that we aren't the troublemakers on this forum.  We're already hundreds of posts ahead, so this is the party thread.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2016, 11:38:01 pm »
I called him for what he was and is on day one. Running interference for Hillary.

And you were 100% right!  I was merely amused by him and thought that he would flame out during the debates.  WRONG!   :thud:

With that said, I knew he was a charlatan going back to 2011, when I compiled a massive bookmark list of his liberalism, shady friends, and general NYC corruption.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:40:42 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2016, 11:38:06 pm »
Any bets if :baghead: shows up for a network interview the same time Cruz goes on, putting the cameras on himself instead, like he did when the Benghazi mom spoke?