Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20  (Read 37355 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 03:01:52 pm »
Donald Trump, liberal, life-long democrat, whatever; one can say that, so be it.  That's freedom of speech.

But to start to accuse others, supporters or team players,  of all kinds of things per civil discourse, that is a different kettle of fish.  And accusing is really pretty mild as far as stating tactics used.

Likewise, a dedicated thread is not harmful; one as to not offend others; if Cruz or Rubio were the nominee, I'd appreciate that as well.

What, a website has a dedicated thread for Cruz being the nominee and one floods it with jokes about his wife?

This really does reflect the anti-Trumper's mindset though but we might as well call it anti-Democracy, anti-free speech and so on.

And no matter what, GOP is in the name of the website, thankfully, all are welcome here; but if one is posting "Republican party is dead" and all kinds of other things, that's their right but talking about wondering about motives?

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 03:02:04 pm »
8detect8

Touche, looks like the anti-Democracy bots have to likewise, keep up the personal attacks.

A dedicated thread really shouldn't be a problem for a website that has GOP in its name.

But the anti-Unity, anti-Democracy bots now talk of freedom?  Their freedom at personal attacks is more like it.

We've said all along, "We won't support Trump." These folks nominate the fool anyway. Now, we're "anti-democracy" because we won't toe the party line and be good little comrades.

This is surreal! The new Amerika!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 03:02:57 pm »
Sure 'nuff,  it does seem hypocritical to brand Trump a liberal if Cruz supporters had their man hob-nobbing with him, primarily because their views were very close on some issues. That's the way it is.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 03:06:00 pm »
Your side (with, what 10 or 12 supporters) is the one that insisted there be no negative comments about Trump on the LIVE thread. 

Thus, this thread.  I didn't intend for it to be divisive. I intended it to be a place for me and a few others to make our own comments about the Convention. 

Now, the OPEN thread has been invaded by Trump supporters telling us what a bunch of neanderthals we are.   

If I said the stuff you just said on the LIVE thread, it would get deleted.   But you know it won't get deleted here.

The only personal attacks are against public figures, which we are allowed to do.   No posters are being attacked over here.

I have read through the thread.  I didn't even know what was happening there until it was referenced here.

It is the Trump supporters who went off the rails.  Sad thing is, that most of us recent deserters from TOS are not #NeverTrump.  I've said this several times before (maybe to you, can't remember) while I will likely hold my nose and vote for Trump this fall, I'll be damned if I'm gonna close my eyes as to what I'm getting.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 03:13:54 pm »
This is soooooo much better than the Pro-Trump sanitized echo chamber.

Been busy here lately so haven't been getting my daily political fix I usually enjoy. But I logged on here at TGBR and out shouts the Convention threads at the top. I click on them and immediately see the forum has set out a special snowflake section for Trump cheerleading only that mimics our beloved TOS... I knew there had to be other threads somewhere.

@Just_Victor
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:15:55 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »
Been busy here lately so haven't been getting my daily political fix I usually enjoy. But I logged on here at TGBR and out shouts the Convention threads at the top. I click on them and immediately see the forum has set out a special snowflake section for Trump cheerleading only that mimics our beloved TOS... I knew there had to be other threads somewhere.

@Just_Victor

Pull up a chair.  I'll get the coffee. 
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 03:23:59 pm »
I thought RNC was supposed to be like 1968... man 1968 must have been boring huh?  :tongue2:

The only shocking thing about the convention so far is how boring it is. It's only slightly less boring than 2012, 2008, 2004, etc. etc.

Offline chae

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 03:26:53 pm »
Here is how I feel, to quote Captain America:
Doesn't matter what the press says, doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say.  Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.  This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences.  When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world:  NO, you move.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:08 pm »
Nothing like that new thread smell!

Sort of like the smell of a new doll...................... or a new shower curtain.  :dx1:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

• Technical
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 03:29:58 pm »
Nothing like that new thread smell!

Smells like feet.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »
Donald Trump, liberal, life-long democrat, whatever; one can say that, so be it.  That's freedom of speech.

But to start to accuse others, supporters or team players,  of all kinds of things per civil discourse, that is a different kettle of fish.  And accusing is really pretty mild as far as stating tactics used.

Likewise, a dedicated thread is not harmful; one as to not offend others; if Cruz or Rubio were the nominee, I'd appreciate that as well.

What, a website has a dedicated thread for Cruz being the nominee and one floods it with jokes about his wife?

This really does reflect the anti-Trumper's mindset though but we might as well call it anti-Democracy, anti-free speech and so on.

And no matter what, GOP is in the name of the website, thankfully, all are welcome here; but if one is posting "Republican party is dead" and all kinds of other things, that's their right but talking about wondering about motives?

What motives?  The Republican party has committed suicide.

I am a life-long, loyal Republican, labeled all kinds of evil things at TOS because I was a so-called "Liberal" by still supporting the Republican party.

But when the GOP nominates a life-long Democrat, and the GOPe in concert with him act like leftist thugs, then the party has killed itself.

Maybe it's not a problem for you to support a party that doesn't support any values we have always held, but it does me.

My "motive" is deep sorrow that I no longer have a political party.

(And you're a hardcore Trump supporter, comparing Reagan negatively with Trump on life issues.  Shouldn't you be elsewhere??)

@TomSea

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »
What motives?  The Republican party has committed suicide.

I am a life-long, loyal Republican, labeled all kinds of evil things at TOS because I was a so-called "Liberal" by still supporting the Republican party.

But when the GOP nominates a life-long Democrat, and the GOPe in concert with him act like leftist thugs, then the party has killed itself.

Maybe it's not a problem for you to support a party that doesn't support any values we have always held, but it does me.

My "motive" is deep sorrow that I no longer have a political party.

(And you're a hardcore Trump supporter, comparing Reagan negatively with Trump on life issues.  Shouldn't you be elsewhere??)

@TomSea

Oh please, will you get a grip? So sick of the melodrama in this place. Seriously.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:46 pm »
Your side (with, what 10 or 12 supporters) is the one that insisted there be no negative comments about Trump on the LIVE thread. 

Thus, this thread.  I didn't intend for it to be divisive. I intended it to be a place for me and a few others to make our own comments about the Convention. 

Now, the OPEN thread has been invaded by Trump supporters telling us what a bunch of neanderthals we are.   

If I said the stuff you just said on the LIVE thread, it would get deleted.   But you know it won't get deleted here.

The only personal attacks are against public figures, which we are allowed to do.   No posters are being attacked over here.

Seeing that ugliness this morning was the very first time since I signed on here that I was embarrassed for the forum.

It was a shameful display, and I pray we won't see anything like it again.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
You are a Trump realist as this poster is as well.

I have read through the thread.  I didn't even know what was happening there until it was referenced here.

It is the Trump supporters who went off the rails.  Sad thing is, that most of us recent deserters from TOS are not #NeverTrump.  I've said this several times before (maybe to you, can't remember) while I will likely hold my nose and vote for Trump this fall, I'll be damned if I'm gonna close my eyes as to what I'm getting.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 03:37:36 pm »
Oh please, will you get a grip? So sick of the melodrama in this place. Seriously.

Do you not yet understand that people are different from each other?  If you are that bothered by personal differences, just put me on IGNORE.  I'm speaking my mind.  I'm serious.  And I'm completely 'together.'

It's not "melodrama" (though the word does come from "melody," which I like), when it's a real expression of a real situation.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »
I thought RNC was supposed to be like 1968... man 1968 must have been boring huh?  :tongue2:

The only shocking thing about the convention so far is how boring it is. It's only slightly less boring than 2012, 2008, 2004, etc. etc.

What a convention should look like. I doubt we'll be seeing any speeches like this one this year unless Jesus arrives and performs a miracle.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukzTmu8tPA

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 03:41:00 pm »
You are a Trump realist as this poster is as well.

That's basically my viewpoint too. I know we're screwed. Only thing left is gallows humor. Except I might go with Gary Johnson or the CP guy. Depends on how much Trump annoys me.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »
That's basically my viewpoint too. I know we're screwed. Only thing left is gallows humor. Except I might go with Gary Johnson or the CP guy. Depends on how much Trump annoys me.

We should not allow the 'believers' to dissuade us from voting Trump.

Nor should we refrain from trying to move Trump to the right and be pro constitution. 
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 03:48:59 pm »
Besides, that Reagan meme was funny.  People need to lighten up a little.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 03:50:20 pm »

The only personal attacks are against public figures,
which we are allowed to do.   No posters are being attacked over here.

More like "The only personal attacks that are suppose to be allowed are against public figures,"

I don't respond back to personal attacks, I do put those people on my ignore list, lengthy now because I was not going to respond in kind nor do I care to be a tattle tail. What you said here is patently false.

" No posters are being attacked over here."

But I do think it says something in that, though I'm sure there are exceptions, Trump folk do not make personal attacks all that much. This is definitely not reciprocal.

It has gotten that in public discourse in such threads, I will state an opinion; I will not watch for a response, it has been that bad.

Who called someone a "pothole" and is going on one's ignore list? A Trumpster did not say it. I can outline alot of these attacks but I'm not going to waste time enumerating such.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 03:51:21 pm »

Boy, this really elevates the political discussion.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 03:51:51 pm »
My comment here has nothing to do with the actual convention, but I want to tell you about this happening:
A member of this family is a pilot for a major airline (which I won't say the name).  Pilots have to go through the TSA "inspection" line just as everyone else.  Pilots are moved to the head of the line so they can get to the flight line (airplane) as quickly as possible.

In this USA major airport, he was not moved forward, was at the back of the line.  The inspector person was a black woman.  When he was his turn, he told the person that pilots are moved to the front to get to their plane.  This person said they treat everyone the same.  He asked to speak to her manager.

The woman MANAGER came and she was dressed in a FULL BURKA, only her eyes could be seen.  This Burka wearing woman is in charge of airport inspections. 

This pilot is a conservative Christian person, knows a plane inside and out, could fix, and has, anything wrong with a plane.  He wanted to be a pilot when he was six years old and stayed with that until he is now almost in his 50s.  You would want him flying your plane.  He had a real problem with a Burka wearing woman in charge of inspections.

DO YOU SEE A PROBLEM WITH THIS?  I was astounded the TSA is hiring Muslims for work in our airports.  I think this employment of Muslims in airports leads directly back to Obama.  The TSA rules are written by Obama's chosen people under his guidelines.

I will add to this, several weeks ago, we went through a Walgreens drive through to pick up medicine for me.  The person in the window handling my medicine was a woman in a Hijab, her head completely covered.  I have a problem with Muslims working in a pharmacy, determining which medicine they put in your prescriptions.

If a person is dressed in Muslim clothing, that indicates to me they are members of a Mosque and adhere to Sharia law.  I prefer to have my medicine filled by non Muslims and do not want Sharia law Muslims working in airports so close to our airplanes.  Call me prejudiced against Muslims if you want, but I don't care, it is Sharia law Muslims killing us.
@sinkspur
@Cripplecreek
@RAT Patrol
@bolobaby
@EC
@CatherineofAragon   

Offline TomSea

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:16 pm »

This is a discussion forum, if you can't contribute to that, please spare me your self-righteousness.

Another round about personal attack by the anti-Trumpsters.

Like water off a duck's back.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:54:14 pm by TomSea »

• Technical
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53:58 pm »
Boy, this really elevates the political discussion.

:silly:

At least it's entertaining.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:01 pm »

But R4 TrumpPence said we should have two threads.  And everything was fine until just now. Maybe it's because we had 300 more posts than the "LIVE" thread. Or that most of the posters are over here.

There seems to be an attitude that, just like the GOP Convention, there will be no dissension, no disagreement, no expression of opinion contrary to Trumpism.

And, just like in Cleveland, you see the result.   It is the Trump people who are lashing out, not those of us who are engaging in free speech and discussion.

You may as well get ready.  After the Convention, the Trumpsters are going to be all over the forum insisting that we support Trump or leave.  "Can't have a divided forum. Looks bad."

I think Myst wants everybody to stick around, but it's going to be a real challenge to manage a forum that's as divided as the party.

Exactly correct.  Some of us warned Myst that this is exactly what would happen, because the Trump Militant are as despotic as the NY Liberal Leftist that they say they want to defeat with THEIR NY Liberal Leftist.

We have already experienced the factual evidence to prove that the mobs for Trump demand oaths of fealty or purges and punishments.  And what they do online, is just a microcosm of what they will want to do in the meat world.  Nothing new under the sun folks.

Trumpism is just Fascism by another name.  We got to witness how a mob motivated by that kind of mindset operates on a supposedly 'open' thread.  They cannot tolerate any dissent whatsoever and all opposition MUST be silenced and shut down, principles ridiculed and insulted.  That is how shallow their belief in liberty is.  They have invested mind, body and spirit to a Trojan Stalking Horse that they want to save them from the person whom Trump himself financed and endorsed.  The rabid supporters as we read last night and this morning, have gone full blown over into idolatry with foam-at-the-mouth invective and demands for purging and banning, just as you witnessed has happened on myriad other former Conservative forums in the past year.

They cannot and will not tolerate any opposition from Principled Conservatives to their political savior.  They have declared us the enemy and actually hate us worse than the Democrats they supposedly fear.  They have said we are 'dangerous' and an 'existential threat' to the nation.  Harsh Despotisms are born and fostered in such environments.

Nothing new under the sun.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775