Author Topic: Veteran turned away from VA after requesting mental treatment, kills himself  (Read 541 times)

rangerrebew

Veteran turned away from VA after requesting mental treatment, kills himself
By Andy Wolf|July 14th, 2016|Military News, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines

An Iowa family is demanding answers after their 33-year-old veteran committed suicide last Thursday, following his being denied admittance to a VA psychiatric ward.

Marine and Army National Guard veteran Brandon Ketchum took his own life less than one day after being denied treatment at the Iowa City VA Medical Center, where he had requested admittance for “serious mental issues.”

“I requested that I get admitted to 9W (psych ward) and get things straightened out,” he wrote on Facebook hours before committing suicide. “I truly felt my safety and health were in jeopardy, as I discussed with the doc. Not only did I get a ‘NO’, but three reasons of no based on me being not f***** up enough. At this point I say, ‘why even try anymore?’ They gave up on me, so why shouldn’t I give up on myself? Right now, that is the only viable option given my circumstances and frame of mind.”

http://popularmilitary.com/veteran-turned-away-va-requesting-mental-treatment-kills/

READ MORE
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:43:58 am by rangerrebew »