General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

The Vineyard

<< < (20/21) > >>

mountaineer:
Alsatian wine update: we were in Kaysersburg, France, and I was determined to buy some wine. We stopped at a vintner's shop and picked up two bottles of 2016 Pinot Gris (at something around $9.32 per bottle), as that's all we could manage to transport home. We've had one of them and oh my gosh, is it good.

Andre et Lucas Ancel is the winery.

Night Hides Not:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on October 01, 2018, 06:59:03 pm ---Alsatian wine update: we were in Kaysersburg, France, and I was determined to buy some wine. We stopped at a vintner's shop and picked up two bottles of 2016 Pinot Gris (at something around $9.32 per bottle), as that's all we could manage to transport home. We've had one of them and oh my gosh, is it good.

Andre et Lucas Ancel is the winery.

--- End quote ---

Here's their website, though I don't know any French.

https://vinsdacote.com/33__vins-d-alsace-andre-ancel

The pictures of the town are stunning. I'm going to contact them to see if they ship to Texas. There are several that look very tempting, i.e. the Rieslings and the Gewurztraminers. The pricing on every selection was very competitive.

mountaineer:
@Night Hides Not   We met a British couple at a little cafe in Obernai who told us they drive their Land Rover to the Alsace on a regular basis and fill it up with cases of their favorite wines. Does that sound like heaven!

mountaineer:

--- Quote ---Sommelier reveals the PERFECT wine pairing for every course on Christmas Day - and they all cost less than £21

The supermarket wines to pair with all of your Christmas day dishes
    Includes recommendations for breakfast, turkey, goose, beef and pudding 
    Tesco's Pinot Noir, £11, is perfect with turkey, and Asda's £5 Rioja for a nut roast

By Chloe Morgan For Mailonline
Published: 08:06 EST, 24 December 2018 | Updated: 09:03 EST, 24 December 2018
--- End quote ---
Not sure many of the wines mentioned are available here, as this is from a British newspaper, but you may find it helpful, nonetheless. Read all about it at the Daily Mail

Here's a recipe for mulled wine:
--- Quote ---- Heat (don’t boil) red wine in a large pan with sugar to taste (roughly 3 tbsp. per bottle).

- When the sugar has dissolved, squeeze in the juice of an orange, retaining the skins. 

- Push cloves into the orange skins and add them to the pot with a couple of cinnamon sticks (or 2 tsp. powder) and a good grate of nutmeg.

- If you require a bit more kick (in case of especially difficult relatives) add a good slug of cognac, whisky or cherry brandy for extra richness.

- Simmer for 20 minutes and serve
--- End quote ---
He suggests the following wines for mulling:
--- Quote ---    Torretta di Mondelli Nero d'Avola (£4.00 Sainsbury’s)
    El Puente Tempranillo (£4.75 Morrisons)
    Toro Loco Organic Red (£4.99 Aldi)
    Lidl Costières de Nîmes Rhône (£6.49 Lidl)
    Tesco Finest St. Chinian (£6.50 Tesco)
--- End quote ---
He also recommended a sparkling wine from Aldi: Aldi Exquisite Collection Crémant du Jura.

mountaineer:
What Did Jesus Drink? A Bethlehem Winery is Embracing Ancient, Indigenous Grapes
Linda Gradstein

As millions of people around the world prepare to celebrate Christmas, Bethlehem’s Cremisan Wine Estate has just finished bottling its 2018 vintage. Founded by Salesian monks in 1885, Cremisan makes wine using indigenous Palestinian grapes. Some scholars say these are the types of wines that Jesus most likely drank.

“The Salesian fathers started making the first wines, called Messa, to use in churches,” Fadi Batarseh, Cremisan’s winemaker, says. The monastery started making wines in the 1880s, using grapes that are at least 2,000 years old. Batarseh, a Palestinian Christian and Jerusalem native who studied winemaking in Italy, joined the winery in 2015. “We make a white and a red, both sweet, because Catholics use white wine for mass, and the Orthodox use red,” he says.

While winemakers in Israel’s Golan Heights have found success growing imported grapes like Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon, Cremisan and select others are embracing the fruit that has grown in the region for centuries. Batarseh is leading the charge, incorporating modern technique and local, ancient grapes.  ...

Cremisan is just a few miles from Jerusalem, on the outskirts of Bethlehem. The winery is stunningly beautiful, with green hills more reminiscent of Tuscany than the hardscrabble West Bank. There are terraces and hundreds of ancient olive trees that also make excellent olive oil, which the winery also markets.   ...  Read more at Vine Pair

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version