Author Topic: Rocky opening for GOP convention as Cruz forces clash with team Trump  (Read 924 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The Republican convention appears to be facing a rocky opening both inside and outside the arena – inside, from forces loyal to Ted Cruz mulling a procedural fight and outside, from anti-Trump protesters testing the demonstration rules set by the city.

Party Chairman Reince Priebus formally kicked off the convention Monday afternoon, setting in motion a packed day of speeches and official party business including the platform itself.

But on the sidelines, multiple high-level GOP sources in Cleveland told Fox News that officials loyal to Cruz – led by former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli and Sen. Mike Lee of Utah – have been bargaining with the Republican National Committee and Donald Trump campaign over procedural changes they failed to secure in last week’s Rules Committee sessions.

(snip)

RNC Chairman Priebus was huddling with key advisers on these issues Sunday night, to a degree unusual for a sitting chairman on the eve of the gaveling of his party’s convention; on such evenings, the chairman is usually performing more ceremonial duties.

These sources tell Fox News that the bargaining is reaching its end. The deal most likely to materialize would see Cruz rewarded with his name being placed in nomination, and revisions to the rules that reward closed-primary states with more delegates, in exchange for Cruz instructing his delegates to allow the convention to proceed smoothly and perhaps signing some kind of unity pledge.

A Republican source tells Fox News that the key sticking point is Cruz's speaking slot and specifically the content of his speech. The original agreement between team Trump and team Cruz allowed Cruz to speak without offering a formal endorsement of Trump. So far, Trump's folks have not asked to look at the speech.

(snip)

More at the source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/18/rocky-opening-for-gop-convention-as-cruz-forces-clash-with-team-trump.html
Let it burn.

Offline livius

At this point, I'd even be willing to accept Kasich. Trump is such a disaster - and no, he did not have a majority of any vote. He had a plurality of a very divided vote in some initial winner-take-all states (where he had perhaps a point or two over his closest opponent out of something like eight candidates, who had therefore split the vote horrendously so nobody had more than 20+% or so).  He's not the popular choice and it was only (recent) rules that got him to this point.

Offline Suppressed

At this point, I'd even be willing to accept Kasich. Trump is such a disaster - and no, he did not have a majority of any vote. He had a plurality of a very divided vote in some initial winner-take-all states (where he had perhaps a point or two over his closest opponent out of something like eight candidates, who had therefore split the vote horrendously so nobody had more than 20+% or so).  He's not the popular choice and it was only (recent) rules that got him to this point.

It's time to replace First-Past-the-Post voting.  In a large field, it tends to put in an unpopular, bad candidate.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Rules were supposed to commence at 4:01 PM - RNC doesn't have votes. Let me guess - another #printerjam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0hDorkxAPM

Warning: Some bad language.
Let it burn.

geronl

Hey, my IPAD has jammed up... those PDF's are so rough

Offline bolobaby

The opposition to Trump from INSIDE the convention hall should serve as a clarion call to nominate someone else. Even that milquetoast Romney had more support than Trump and he lost handily in the general election.

It's gonna be a bloodbath if we continue this death march.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Gov Bean Counter

The opposition to Trump from INSIDE the convention hall should serve as a clarion call to nominate someone else. Even that milquetoast Romney had more support than Trump and he lost handily in the general election.

It's gonna be a bloodbath if we continue this death march.

Manafort's strong armed move in the rules committee was, to quote Paul himself, "dumb, dumb, dumb".
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline bolobaby

The call for a voice vote demonstrates the extremely tenuous grasp Trump has on this nomination. If they knew they had it, they would have allowed the roll call and buried it once and for all.

Bottom line: if the delegates don't keep fighting, they're fools. Fight, abstain, walk out if necessary. Keep up the pressure.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online kevindavis007

It's time to replace First-Past-the-Post voting.  In a large field, it tends to put in an unpopular, bad candidate.

I hope GOP finds a way to prevent from this to happening again..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

Re: Rocky opening for GOP convention as Cruz forces clash with team Trump
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:56:35 pm »

I hope GOP finds a way to prevent from this to happening again..

I'm not sure the GOP will exist next time

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Rocky opening for GOP convention as Cruz forces clash with team Trump
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 10:00:35 pm »
The call for a voice vote demonstrates the extremely tenuous grasp Trump has on this nomination. If they knew they had it, they would have allowed the roll call and buried it once and for all.

Bottom line: if the delegates don't keep fighting, they're fools. Fight, abstain, walk out if necessary. Keep up the pressure.

I would have though they would have had a roll call vote anyway.

I have to work when these things happen, so I usually miss it, anyway, but I was under the impression they always did that.
Did something change?
Was it always a voice vote?
I thought they went state by state and put the numbers up on TV while it went along?