Author Topic: Ted Cruz contemplates the unthinkable  (Read 550 times)

Online libertybele

Ted Cruz contemplates the unthinkable
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »
The headline is quite misleading; nowhere in the interview did I get the impression that Cruz will endorse Trump ... not even close!

Ted Cruz contemplates the unthinkable

...“In this election I am where a great many voters are, which is that I am listening and watching and coming to a decision,” Cruz, the highest-profile Trump holdout heading into this week’s convention, told me when I asked him if he intended to throw his support behind the former reality TV star imminently.

Cruz, speaking to POLITICO’s “Off Message” podcast on the eve of the Republican National Convention, was in a reflective mood about his second-place finish (“I don't know that I'm in a position to give campaign advice to Donald Trump, given that he just whipped me in a primary,” he said with a rueful laugh), but there was an unmistakably defiant edge to his pre-Cleveland mind-set, and his criticisms of Trump were veiled but vivid....

...Cruz wouldn’t talk specifically about what he plans to say — it’s sure to include a healthy portion of attacks on Hillary Clinton — but he made it clear that his goals extend well beyond getting Trump elected.

“Most wars are not won in a single battle,” said Cruz, who is still paying campaign staff to plan and to create a detailed post-mortem of the 2016 primaries (one thing he’s looking at, I’m told: whether his “New York values” quip about Trump was a blunder).

“What I’m looking forward to is changing the course this country is on. I don’t know if that happens in this election cycle or not,” he added.

...The odds are that Cruz will have to endorse Trump sooner or later, even if he holds out beyond this week, simply because no Republican can afford the perception that they didn’t do everything in their power to stop the hated Clinton from winning the election.

Yet one of the reasons Cruz has held out this long (apart from his curdled-milk relationship with a man who falsely linked his father with JFK’s assassin, insulted his wife and all but accused him of womanizing) is leverage. Trump needs “Lyin’ Ted” a whole lot more than Cruz needs him as this point, which is why he ceded a central prime-time slot to someone who is so lukewarm to him. There weren’t enough Cruz supporters to put him over the top, but his numbers are simply too good for Trump to ignore. The first-term senator won 8 million votes, 600 delegates and 12 states. He raised nearly $92 million — a record for a GOP primary candidate, much of it from small online donors. He ran by far the best ground operation of any GOP campaign this year, with more than 325,000 volunteers flocking to Cruz’s call for a grass-roots Republican renewal....

...As the interview went on, I noticed a barely discernible but noteworthy shift in Cruz’s tone — he wasn’t using the word “Republican” as much as he had in the late primaries when he was vying to become the party’s mainstream standard-bearer.

I asked him if that was intentional. It was.

“I think people are furious with politicians in both parties,” he said. “I care a heck of a lot more about America than I do about any political party. If the Republican Party stands for individual liberty, if we defend the Bill of Rights, if we stand for keeping this country safe, then we deserve to win, and if we don’t, we deserve to lose.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/ted-talks-hes-not-ready-to-endorse-yet-225690#ixzz4EmZTL3Cm
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Ted Cruz contemplates the unthinkable
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »
I think this was posted already but obviously, per some of the insults Cruz has endured from Trump make that option unacceptable.  If Trump was actually elected and a Supreme Court nomination came up, I'd hope Trump would consider Cruz. It is Trump that should be making amends.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:47:29 pm »
I think this was posted already but obviously, per some of the insults Cruz has endured from Trump make that option unacceptable.  If Trump was actually elected and a Supreme Court nomination came up, I'd hope Trump would consider Cruz. It is Trump that should be making amends.

Clearly it is Trump that OWES Cruz an apology.  Cruz has already stated he is not in the least interested in being a SCOTUS justice.  He doesn't have enough latitude to accomplish taking back this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:48:55 pm »
The odds are that Cruz will have to endorse Trump sooner or later, even if he holds out beyond this week, simply because no Republican can afford the perception that they didn’t do everything in their power to stop the hated Clinton from winning the election.

That would be the end of his career.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »
  If Trump was actually elected and a Supreme Court nomination came up, I'd hope Trump would consider Cruz. It is Trump that should be making amends.

Trump is more likely to appoint a liberal who supports the gay agenda, abortion, ethanol subsidies, corporate handouts and political corruption.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:55:54 pm »
Clearly it is Trump that OWES Cruz an apology.  Cruz has already stated he is not in the least interested in being a SCOTUS justice.  He doesn't have enough latitude to accomplish taking back this country.

It looks like Cruz said that after dropping out of the race or whenever it was, Cruz said this in mid-May.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279834-cruz-not-interested-in-supreme-court-position

I doubt if it is chiseled in stone that he would not accept such a job and that's just my opinion.

Rubio seemed to say he would not endorse Trump but has been more supportive. Perry had his run-ins with Trump but has also changed.

Though Trump's words were too offensive to be in a similar position to Perry or Rubio.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »
Trump is more likely to appoint a liberal who supports the gay agenda, abortion, ethanol subsidies, corporate handouts and political corruption.

Jeff Sessions is Trump's national security advisor.  As far as I know, Sessions supports none of those things.
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/donald-trump-jeff-sessions-national-security-adviser/2016/03/03/id/717368/

Mike Pence is Trump's running mate, as far as I know, Pence does not support any of those things.

Trump has also already floated a number of names he would consider for the Supreme Court. As far as I know, they don't believe in those things either.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 06:19:04 pm »
Jeff Sessions is Trump's national security advisor.  As far as I know, Sessions supports none of those things.
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/donald-trump-jeff-sessions-national-security-adviser/2016/03/03/id/717368/

Mike Pence is Trump's running mate, as far as I know, Pence does not support any of those things.

Trump has also already floated a number of names he would consider for the Supreme Court. As far as I know, they don't believe in those things either.

I understand that Trump is also very impressed with Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke (whose speech tomorrow night is must watch) as a guy who might just end up with a major gig in DHS or the FBI in a Trump Admiistration.

I've seen movement by Trump toward conservative positions and leaders.   He's not going to change overnight and become a measured, brilliant Conservative like Ted Cruz or Mike Lee but I do see movement and it should be recognized as such.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
but I do see movement and it should be recognized as such.

Any examples?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 06:35:09 pm »

He wouldn't and Cruz shouldn't accept.  Anyone with intelligence and conservative convictions can be a good Supreme Court justice.

Cruz has better things in store.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:24 pm »
The headline is quite misleading; nowhere in the interview did I get the impression that Cruz will endorse Trump ... not even close

And, you know why that is, right?

You're not going to read this

But you'll probably share it anyway

By Adrianne Jeffries
    on February 14, 2014 02:30 pm
    @adrjeffries

Share on Facebook Tweet Share Pin

Earlier this month, there was yet another lengthy public debate about Upworthy, the two-year-old publisher that has become one of the most popular sites on Facebook due to its knack for overselling its bite-size content with "curiosity gap" headlines like, "Why Is Bill Nye Acting Like A Lunatic? Because He Doesn't Want To Get Blown Up, That's Why."

In the midst of the Twitter argument, Tony Haile, CEO of Chartbeat, which measures real-time traffic for sites like Upworthy, dropped a bomb: "We've found effectively no correlation between social shares and people actually reading," he wrote....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/14/5411934/youre-not-going-to-read-this

The content doesn't matter.  You just have to create buzz, and even if (or maybe especially if) the content doesn't match the headline it just doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:07:07 pm by Sanguine »