Author Topic: How Trump Folk Talk  (Read 3470 times)

Offline sinkspur

How Trump Folk Talk
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:34:24 pm »
How Trump Folk Talk

by JAY NORDLINGER   

July 18, 2016 12:00 AM

A political movement and its lexicon

All groups and movements develop their own lexicon: their own terms, often slurs. Take the Chinese Communist Party: They have had “running-dog capitalist,” “right-wing deviationist,” etc. In Hoxha’s Albania, they said “Titoist.” It was not a compliment.

I would like to talk about the Trump movement, the Trump army. I am not going to talk about the “alt” people. I am not going to talk about the Nazis or the fascists or the racists or the “identitarians.” I may address them another day.

I would probably entitle that piece “Nazis in My Notifications.” Almost every day, I need to weed the Nazis out of my “notifications” on Twitter. These are people who celebrate the Holocaust (when they’re not denying it). They tweet pictures of crematoria and the like.

The “alt” people — the “alt-Right,” or “alternative Right” — use the word “cuck” a lot. This stands for “cuckold.” The alts believe that the conservatives let dark-skinned people come in and rape their women and take over the country. Hence, they are “cucks.”

So we writers at National Review, for example, would be “cuckservatives,” led by “William F. Cuckley.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437975/how-trump-folk-talk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:53:45 pm by AbaraXas »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: How Trump Folk Talk
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »
"“The primary is over!” I hear this from Trump folk increasingly. What they mean is, “Shut up. No more criticism of Trump. The Right has spoken. The Right has selected its presidential nominee. Shut up and get on board.”

This is not very American. Also, I think of a response from an American general: “Nuts.” Nobody is obligated to surrender his conscience. On the contrary."
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:01:06 pm »
National Review falling for Godwin's law. Weak.

This was Bill Buckley's publication?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Nordlinger

Speechwriter for George W. Bush. That says a lot.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:05:47 pm »
They're too far gone to ever come back. America would be better off if they just refrain from voting in the future.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »

Weak?  Haha! The article is spot on, so you can't refute the content. You have to go for the personal attack.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 03:10:58 pm »
Weak?  Haha! The article is spot on, so you can't refute the content. You have to go for the personal attack.

ELITIST!!!!! :silly:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:13:49 pm »

Haha! If I made a personal attack on a forum member, please report it to the moderator.  You can't. This seems to be a tactic to stifle comment. Sorry, this is America and we have free speech.

Sorry, public figures are going to be criticized and you can't hang that on me or we'd be here all day going after posts by half the members here.

Petty criticism.

In the context of this forum, a falsehood! A fabrication, A non-truth, A.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:14:38 pm by TomSea »

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:15:45 pm »

It just sticks in his craw that we won't dance with the fat pig the GOP brought to the party.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:25:11 pm »
It just sticks in his craw that we won't dance with the fat pig the GOP brought to the party.

I look at the average Trump fanatic as having their heart in the right spot. Its their brain thats been displaced.

There is only one answer for what ails this country, and its not found in the person of a "nationalistic" authoritarian real estate celebrity.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 03:27:13 pm »

You didn't read the article did you??

It is EXACTLY correct in every aspect.  The words used are the very idiotic words we read here every day from Trump people.

There is a lot of ignorance out there, and Trump has been a magnet for it.

NOTHING Trump people say is historically accurate.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 03:29:51 pm »
Haha! If I made a personal attack on a forum member, please report it to the moderator.  You can't. This seems to be a tactic to stifle comment. Sorry, this is America and we have free speech.

Sorry, public figures are going to be criticized and you can't hang that on me or we'd be here all day going after posts by half the members here.

Petty criticism.

What in the world is wrong with you??

Your "personal attack" was against the writer of the article and the magazine.

Because you have NOTHING you can say to accurately refute a single word of it.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »
When you get lemons, make lemonade. That's all one can do

What's NRO's purpose? Are they trying to sway the convention to nominate someone else?

Other than that, which is unlikely, are they! meaning NRO in the bag for Hillary?

Neo-Nazis supporting Trump? What is it? .01% of his support? What do they think they are accomplishing. A lot of felons probably vote for the democrats, people who have criminal records, even for violent crimes. What's the point of this?

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:30:45 pm »

I read the article earlier this morning then read one by someone supporting black lives matter and was struck by how similar Trumpers and the BLMs are. The Trumpers blame the "rich elitists" and the BLMs blame rich white folks for taking or blocking the wealth and power from them.

Workers of all lands, unite — to smash the rule of English capitalism! You young upward-striving nations of the earth, combine to annihilate the old English dragon who blocks the treasures of the earth and withholds from you the riches of the world.
- Robert Ley, German labor front leader under Hitler

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »
I read the article earlier this morning then read one by someone supporting black lives matter and was struck by how similar Trumpers and the BLMs are. The Trumpers blame the "rich elitists" and the BLMs blame rich white folks for taking or blocking the wealth and power from them.

Both have a cult-like attitude, and both groups are basing their words and actions, not on TRUTH, but on ANGER.

They are remarkably similar in that regard.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 03:37:00 pm »
Both have a cult-like attitude, and both groups are basing their words and actions, not on TRUTH, but on ANGER.

They are remarkably similar in that regard.

Both appeal to victimology with a promise to punish those who made them "victims".

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 03:41:11 pm »
Both appeal to victimology with a promise to punish those who made them "victims".

That as well.

That's part of what makes the Trump cult liberal.  NO responsibility for their own behavior and words.  Just blaming others in anger.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 03:48:32 pm »
Some 16,000 people went into S-21. Seven are known to have survived.

One of them, a man named Chum Mey, was able to question Duch at trial. Chum Mey asked, “Why did you keep saying that we worked for the CIA?” Duch answered, “The real CIA is different from people accused by the regime of being CIA. You were identified as someone who opposed the regime. That’s why we called you CIA.”

And in Hoxhite Albania, when they called you a Titoist, they didn’t really mean that you were for Tito, or working for him. They meant that you opposed the regime, or were suspected of doing so.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437975/how-trump-folk-talk

Bingo. Scary accurate, right?

Does this sound familiar: "If you're not for Trump, you must be a Hillary supporter!"
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 03:52:33 pm »

Petty criticism.

I didn't say you made a personal attack on a poster.  I think it was clear to most people reading my comment that I meant that you couldn't refute what the author said in the article, so you attacked his integrity by associating him with Bush.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »

:tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 04:03:44 pm »
When you get lemons, make lemonade. That's all one can do

What's NRO's purpose? Are they trying to sway the convention to nominate someone else?

Other than that, which is unlikely, are they! meaning NRO in the bag for Hillary?

Neo-Nazis supporting Trump? What is it? .01% of his support? What do they think they are accomplishing. A lot of felons probably vote for the democrats, people who have criminal records, even for violent crimes. What's the point of this?

You prove Nordlinger's point.  Beautifully.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 04:05:28 pm »

Does this sound familiar: "If you're not for Trump, you must be a Hillary supporter!"

To be fair, as a pretty rock-ribbed Conservative who has been strictly voting Conservative for a long time, the whole 'If you don't vote for the Republican, you're supporting the Democrat' meme has been there all the way along.

And it has been just as false all the way along.

It is how that big rhinestone 'R' came to be - How it can associate itself with Conservative causes for the votes without being conservative at all. It is how 'lesser evil' propagates itself, and it is a damnable lie.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »
You prove Nordlinger's point.  Beautifully.

I didn't vote for Trump, I never have in any online poll or in the primary. Never voted that he won any of the debatets. 

So, if you are calling me the name of "Trump folk", no I am Conservative folk, I have voted for every Republican candidate since 1984 folk.  I'm party unity folk.

Before one comes back and says,  they themselves are conservative, I have seen no example of this through your posts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:29:48 pm by TomSea »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 04:26:55 pm »
To be fair, as a pretty rock-ribbed Conservative who has been strictly voting Conservative for a long time, the whole 'If you don't vote for the Republican, you're supporting the Democrat' meme has been there all the way along.

And it has been just as false all the way along.

It is how that big rhinestone 'R' came to be - How it can associate itself with Conservative causes for the votes without being conservative at all. It is how 'lesser evil' propagates itself, and it is a damnable lie.

I have been guilty of saying that when McCain and Romney were running. I advocated the hold your nose, lesser of two evils approach then.  I have finally come to my senses and see this all with a different view. Back in 91 Louisiana Govenors race my choices were David Duke (R) and Edwin Edwards (D).  At the time, I voted Edwards because I didn't want to support Duke in any way, shape or form. I still, to this day, feel sick about voting for Edwards. I do not want any more of that  on my conscience. I could justify McCain and Romney, just barely.  I cannot perform the mental gymnastics it would take to justify voting for Trump. He gives me the same sick feeling Edwards gave me. I'm not loading that monkey on my back.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 04:29:05 pm »
Remember how everyone had to rally to get congress to not pass amnesty during the Bush administration, at least 2 times even.   Now, that was questionable. So, if Nordlinger fits into the Bush camp; Neo-Con camp; then, that should be taken issue with as well.

That's discourse.

If others try tactics to stifle conversation, so be it. I am a Christian as well.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:33:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 04:31:32 pm »

:tongue2:

And what's this suppose to mean? Just a clever way to name call or what?

I won't break forum rules to the best of my ability. Others can make their own choices!

Touche!