Author Topic: Cruz praises Pence, but isn't yet sold on Trump endorsement  (Read 1257 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288071-cruz-praises-pence-but-isnt-yet-sold-on-endorsement

July 17, 2016, 12:43 pm
Cruz praises Pence, but isn't yet sold on Trump endorsement

By Rebecca Savransky

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) praised Donald Trump's running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, in a new interview, but apparently he is still not ready to endorse the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

"I think very highly of Pence — he's a good man," Cruz told Politico, according to an excerpt of an interview that will be posted Monday morning.

“I think he’s been a good governor. He did a good job in Congress. And so, you know, I certainly congratulate him on being named."

But Cruz, who will speak at the Republican National Convention next week, said he has yet to make up his mind about endorsing Trump.

“In this election I am where a great many voters are," he said, "which is that I am listening and watching and coming to a decision.”

During the primary contests, Trump launched a series of personal attacks against the Texas senator. Cruz shot back, calling the presumptive GOP nominee a "pathological liar" and a "narcissist."

Cruz has yet to offer an endorsement of Trump. He said he plans to use a speech at the GOP convention in Cleveland to talk about the need for the country to change its direction after eight years under the Obama administration.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Cruz praises Pence, but isn't yet sold on Trump endorsement
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:10:03 am »
I hope Cruz sticks to his principles and does not endorse Trump.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:37:30 am »
This is a good sign that he plans to do just that.  At least I hope so.

I'd argue that it's a sign is moving towards endorsing. He's speaking at a convention dominated by the nominee (which is pretty normal). Now, he's endorsing the VP. And he is saying that he's "thinking" about endorsing Mr Trump.

I think Cruz is easing his followers into the hot water and is heating it up very slowly so they don't jump out. My guess, he either thinks he needs to endorse to help his run in 2020....or he's been promised a SCJ nomination if he does so. I'm just speculating of course, but never forget he is a politician and will set aside personal animus or long term political advantage....without hesitation.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 12:40:58 am »
He has no choice.  Pence endorsed him.  I still say Pence is Captain Cave Man.

I would hope Cruz would give Pence the same kind of endorsement Pence gave Cruz. No more.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:01 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288071-cruz-praises-pence-but-isnt-yet-sold-on-endorsement

“In this election I am where a great many voters are," he said, "which is that I am listening and watching and coming to a decision.”

Outrageous. Has this man no honor at all? /s

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 12:44:43 am »
I'd argue that it's a sign is moving towards endorsing. He's speaking at a convention dominated by the nominee (which is pretty normal). Now, he's endorsing the VP. And he is saying that he's "thinking" about endorsing Mr Trump.

I think Cruz is easing his followers into the hot water and is heating it up very slowly so they don't jump out. My guess, he either thinks he needs to endorse to help his run in 2020....or he's been promised a SCJ nomination if he does so. I'm just speculating of course, but never forget he is a politician and will set aside personal animus or long term political advantage....without hesitation.

He won't endorse Trump.  Not after what Trump said about his wife and his father.  Endorsing Trump could damage him severely in 2020 if Trump loses as badly as he's likely to.   And Cruz's supporters will desert him in a heartbeat if he jumps on the Trump train. 

Cruz doesn't want the obscurity of the Supreme Court.  He's a politician, and wants to be out front and center in the action.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 01:00:53 am »
But Cruz, who will speak at the Republican National Convention next week, said he has yet to make up his mind about endorsing Trump.

Cruz is a politician.  I suspect he's holding out for something.  Politicians are trained to do what is in their best interests at the best time for their benefit.   :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 01:21:30 am »
Cruz is a politician.  I suspect he's holding out for something.  Politicians are trained to do what is in their best interests at the best time for their benefit.   :shrug:

In hindsight, four years from now, not endorsing Trump will look like a very wise decision.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 01:30:02 am »
This is the patented facial expression of every politician who has ever sat next to or stood by Trump.  Cruz doesn't want this, ever:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 01:31:56 am »
Liberace's house wasn't this gay:

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 01:33:43 am »
Liberace's house wasn't this gay:

ostentatious
[os-ten-tey-shuh s, -tuh n-]
Spell  Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
adjective
characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others:
an ostentatious dresser.
(of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice:
Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 01:35:55 am »
I hope Cruz sticks to his principles and does not endorse Trump.
Oh, Cruz should get up there and praise the Donald up one side and down the other.

Then, right at the end, remind them that the Donald has said he is a pathological liar and walk away from the mike.

Either Orange Glorious lied about Ted and he is wonderful, or they have to believe the Great Comb over and think Ted lied in praising him...

Heads should be exploding all over the Convention hall...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 01:39:21 am »
Outrageous. Has this man no honor at all? /s
:bigsilly: :bigsilly: :bigsilly:

Plus....he signed the pledge....he signed the pledge.....lol.  Geez....

Read this thread....disgusting....
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3450291/posts

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 01:44:55 am »

Wow. That's scary over there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:50 am »
He won't endorse Trump.  Not after what Trump said about his wife and his father.  Endorsing Trump could damage him severely in 2020 if Trump loses as badly as he's likely to.   And Cruz's supporters will desert him in a heartbeat if he jumps on the Trump train. 

Cruz doesn't want the obscurity of the Supreme Court.  He's a politician, and wants to be out front and center in the action.

That was just bizarre.  Trump is mental.  I couldn't trust him for a week without some serious meds.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 02:00:44 am »

Yeah, reading that link they sound exactly like this very thread in reverse.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 05:26:10 am »

Cruz is a statesman.

Not sure what Trump is but if he is a politician, he's not a good one.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 05:55:59 am »
Of course Cruz praises the selection, it's the perfect selection, a solid pro-lifer and social conservative. It cements a lot of votes.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:27 am »
Well we have certainly seen that to be true of Trump, but i just can't fathom Trump wanting an endorsement from the man he vilified and painted as a liar. After all if Cruz is the liar that Trump says he is, and Cruz endorses Trump, wouldn't that endorsement be false because Cruz is a liar? More of that quality Trump logic that we are coming to know so well. :huh?:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 06:34:47 am »
Oh, Cruz should get up there and praise the Donald up one side and down the other.

Then, right at the end, remind them that the Donald has said he is a pathological liar and walk away from the mike.

Either Orange Glorious lied about Ted and he is wonderful, or they have to believe the Great Comb over and think Ted lied in praising him...

Heads should be exploding all over the Convention hall...
You beat me by a few posts, GMTA!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:01 am »

I agree on both points.  Unlike Christie and Carson (and now Pence) Cruz has a bright political future.  He'd be a fool to throw that away on the altar of a false god and he's smart enough to know it.

As for the Supreme Court, NO!  He would be great but wasted.  He can do more good as a Senator and eventually president.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 07:28:21 am »
I agree on both points.  Unlike Christie and Carson (and now Pence) Cruz has a bright political future.  He'd be a fool to throw that away on the altar of a false god and he's smart enough to know it.

As for the Supreme Court, NO!  He would be great but wasted.  He can do more good as a Senator and eventually president.

He'll never be President, and an SCJ certainly has a much larger impact than a US Senator when it comes to key conservative issues. Cruz offers no appeal to anyone outside of the deeply conservative voters...and that's nowhere near enough to win a national election. That said, he is quite the brilliant legal mind and could effect national jurisprudence profoundly over the next 30-35 years.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 07:38:09 am »

ROFLMAO !!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:30 am »
[Cruz] is quite the brilliant legal mind and could effect national jurisprudence profoundly over the next 30-35 years.

Seeing how Donald Trump soundly opposes the Conservative viewpoint when it comes to the courts and the Constitution, why would he ever nominate someone as outstanding as Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 07:45:28 am »
Of course Cruz praises the selection, it's the perfect selection, a solid pro-lifer and social conservative. It cements a lot of votes.

Cements a lot of votes for who?  The candidate who advocates taxpayer money going to Planned Parenthood right after they got caught selling baby parts?  Not even Hillary Clinton did that.