Author Topic: Mike Pence Walks Back Prior Positions to Stand With Trump on Muslims, Wall, TPP  (Read 1760 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mike-pence-walks-back-prior-positions-stand-trump/story?id=40633445

Mike Pence Walks Back Prior Positions to Stand With Trump on Muslims, Wall, TPP

By ALANA ABRAMSON INES DE LA CUETARA  Jul 16, 2016, 10:44 AM ET

Just hours after Donald Trump officially named Mike Pence as his vice-presidential pick, the Indiana governor walked back several of his prior policy positions to stand with his running mate -- including having previously called Trump’s Muslim ban “offensive” and “unconstitutional.”

"I am very supportive of Donald Trump's call to temporarily suspend immigration from countries where terrorist influence and impact represents a certain threat to the United States," Pence said on Hannity.

"I don't think things came out quite right or quite how I would have done it," he said of Trump's initial phrasing. "But I want folks to know I strongly agree with Donald Trump we have to do something different."

Earlier this week in Indiana, Pence refused to tell reporters whether he supports Trump’s proposal to build a wall along the southern border with Mexico, saying only that he believes in the need for strong border security.

But post-VP announcement on Friday, Pence insisted he is "absolutely" in sync with Trump on the wall, and that Mexico is "absolutely" going to pay for it.

Pence also walked back his support of the proposed Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal.

“I think when we elect one of the best negotiators in the world as president of the United States I'm open to renegotiating these trade agreements,” he said.

Another previous point of discord between the two candidates -- the war in Iraq. Trump has repeatedly said it was a mistake to send troops to Iraq in the first place. But Pence while in Congress voted in favor of the war.

“I think reasonable people can differ on whether or not we should have gone into Iraq. But where Donald Trump and I are in strong agreement is that Barack Obama's precipitous withdrawal from Iraq created a vacuum in which ISIS was created,” Pence said on Friday.

Hannity asked Pence how he might handle disagreements that may arise with the presumptive Republican nominee.

"You know, you shut the door, you tell the boss exactly what you think. But when the door opens, the job of the vice president is to stand right next to the president and implement the policy that he's decided. And I'm prepared to do that," he said.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Sometime in mid-September, Pence is going to look at himself in the mirror and regret he ever accepted Trump's invitation.   

He's going to wonder what happened to his conscience.

Offline Vulcan

in·ver·te·brate
inˈvərdəbrət,inˈvərdəbrāt/
noun
1. an animal lacking a backbone

Offline Vulcan

HonestJohn

"I am very supportive of Donald Trump's call to temporarily suspend immigration from countries where terrorist influence and impact represents a certain threat to the United States," Pence said on Hannity.

Which is *NOT* what Trump said.  Pence is revising history, now.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

:3:

Trouble is, Mikey, Donny Boy isn't going to be able to bring his real life Luca Brasi to these negotiations so they may not go so well for him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:53:53 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline sinkspur

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:12:58 am by sinkspur »

Offline Vulcan

geronl

Captain Cave-Man!!!

Offline biff

So it is looking like "The Donnie & Mikey Show" is going to turn out to be a comedy?

Offline Henry Noel

The conservative in these shack-ups always ends up taking the inferior position. Pence is the catamite in this particular relationship, so he gets to be on the bottom. It's the way of things.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Suppressed

Because "Who needs convictions and principles?"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

Talk about a flip flop..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Wingnut

No one in or associated with the TPA  Party

TPA=Tits Pits & Ass. We cover all our bases.

Offline RedHead

That's not what Trump called for.

“I think when we elect one of the best negotiators in the world as president of the United States I'm open to renegotiating these trade agreements,” he said.

What if the other parties don't want to renegotiate?  What then?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

They are made of brown sugar when standing next to a boiling hot pot of demagogic rage and cult of personality.

Suddenly one's core melts away to magically become one with the power.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's beginning to look like Venezuela. No TP, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Sometime in mid-September, Pence is going to look at himself in the mirror and regret he ever accepted Trump's invitation.   

He's going to wonder what happened to his conscience.

So, now... apparently we can't trust either one of them.  Well, the idiot algore went on to make a fortune touting global warming; wonder what's in the cards for Pence? 

But if Trump actually won, Pence would be ... what do they say?  A heartbeat away from the presidency.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

But if Trump actually won, Pence would be ... what do they say?  A heartbeat away from the presidency.
That was the logic I used to vote for McCain/Palin. Burn me once, ....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline unknown

Trump is 100% correct on these three issues!
Pence is 100% wrong on these three issues!

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Smokin Joe

Trump is 100% correct on these three issues!
Pence is 100% wrong on these three issues!
Well, I will concede their positions are equally believable.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

It's beginning to look like Venezuela. No TP, either.

I need TP for my bunghole.  Bungholio.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Pence and Kasich have similar pedigrees in serving on Newt's leadership team, and now as governors of adjoining states, posing as pseudo-conservatives.

A principled person is one who sticks to principle, and we do not have this on this ticket.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

I need TP for my bunghole.  Bungholio.
Don't make this Venezuela, then.

C S Lewis