Author Topic: Election to shape Supreme Court  (Read 1216 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Election to shape Supreme Court
« on: July 17, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/287828-election-to-shape-supreme-court

By Lydia Wheeler - 07/17/16 08:00 AM EDT

This year’s presidential election will have a profound effect on the direction of the Supreme Court.

Given the decision by Senate Republicans to block any nominee from President Obama to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia, the next president will almost certainly get to make a nomination that could swing the balance of the court.

And the new president might have more than one seat to fill over the next four years, providing further opportunity to put their stamp on the bench.

By the end of the summer, two of the nine justices will be in their 80s.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 83, and Justice Anthony Kennedy, known as the court’s swing voter, is turning 80 at the end of July.

“We could have a dramatically different Supreme Court over the next four to eight years with the change in personnel,” said Elizabeth Slattery, a legal fellow at The Heritage Foundation. “Kennedy has been on the court the longest, but he’s given no inclination he wants to retire. He seems pretty happy in his role.”

Obama has had two appointments in his eight years in office: Justices Sonia Sotomayor and, more recently, Justice Elena Kagan.

The ramifications are well known by both parties as well as court-watchers.

“The court is now balanced between Republican appointees and Democratic appointees that pretty consistently vote in line with the positions of the president that appointed them,” said Dori Bernstein, director of the Supreme Court Institute at Georgetown Law. “Whoever gets to chose the tiebreaker is going to be making a very influential appointment.”

The justices on the eight-member court certainly recognize the stakes.

Ginsburg made headlines with her recent criticisms of Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

Ginsburg told The New York Times that she “can’t imagine what the country would be — with Donald Trump as our president.”

“For the country, it could be four years,” she said. “For the court, it could be — I don’t even want to contemplate that.”

Supreme Court justices generally refrain from making political remarks. Ginsburg later said she regretted her comments.

“Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office,” she said in a statement. “In the future I will be more circumspect.”

Trump called on her to step down from the high court.

“Justice Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court has embarrassed all by making very dumb political statements about me. Her mind is shot — resign!” he said in a tweet.

In deciding to block Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland to the court, Senate Republicans said the decision of who to nominate should be made by the next president. That effectively leaves the decision to voters in this year’s election, making it even more critical in deciding the makeup of all three branches of the federal government.

The decision also put more pressure on Trump, who has unnerved both establishment Republicans and some social conservatives with his rise.

Trump is a businessman who has given money to candidates from both parties, and he has taken liberal positions in the past, including on abortion.

As a GOP candidate, Trump has moved to the right on abortion but has kept more centrist views on other social issues such as gay rights.

In an effort to sooth concerns on the right, the real estate tycoon has promised to appoint conservative jurists.

In May, he released a list of 11 judges he would consider appointing. Several of his picks were appointees of former President George W. Bush.

Some on the left say the list was able to appease the concerns of conservatives about the makeup of the court.

“You don’t ever know what Donald Trump will do, but for issues around the court he will turn to the establishment to help him make that decision and they know that, and they know that’s worth having as opposed to whoever [Hillary] Clinton will put in place,” said Michele Jawando, vice president for legal progress at the Center for American Progress.

The power to shift the balance of the court might even help him win supporters.

The list gained praise from members of the GOP, with Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (Iowa) calling it “impressive.”

The court fight could also help Trump by bringing conservatives to his cause.

Hillary Clinton, who is expected to be nominated by Democrats for president at that party’s convention later this month, is an adamant supporter of abortion rights who would be expected to continue Obama’s move of the court to the left.

In fact, if Clinton beats Trump, some groups think it is possible the Senate will move to confirm Garland to prevent a more liberal nominee from being offered by Clinton.

Conservatives are concerned a liberal court could put new restrictions on the Second Amendment and overturn the court’s 2010 decision that allowed corporations to spend freely on politics.

“I think it should come as no surprise that Citizens United is on the hit list,” Slattery said.

Supporters of Garland also see this as a possibility, though they note nothing can be taken for granted.

“It certainly would take a significant amount of coordination and willingness to make that happen, but we’ve seen a lot of complex legislation pass in a lame-duck period,” said Sarah Warbelow, legal director of The Human Rights Campaign.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Election to shape Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »
And it matters not a whit which one of the major party cretins gets to do the shaping!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 03:16:10 pm »
And it matters not a whit which one of the major party cretins gets to do the shaping!

Of course it does.  This is a major consideration.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 03:28:18 pm »

Right in Virginia, why do you even bother offering up rational thoughts here? This is where dead horses come for more beatings. You're such a bright, intelligent person. You should bill them for your time

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 03:30:30 pm »
Right in Virginia, why do you even bother offering up rational thoughts here? This is where dead horses come for more beatings. You're such a bright, intelligent person. You should bill them for your time

:laugh:

:bighug: @aligncare

Offline RedHead

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 03:52:34 pm »

What makes you think that regardless of who wins the White House that Supreme Court appointments would be acted on?  The Republicans can continue to block appointments if Clinton wins and they retain the Senate.  And if Trump wins then there are any number of ways that the Democrats can block his appointees even if they aren't in the majority.  A seven or a six member court could be in the future.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »
What makes you think that regardless of who wins the White House that Supreme Court appointments would be acted on?  The Republicans can continue to block appointments if Clinton wins and they retain the Senate.  And if Trump wins then there are any number of ways that the Democrats can block his appointees even if they aren't in the majority.  A seven or a six member court could be in the future.

Republicans can't and won't block court nominations including the Supreme Court for eight years.  To begin with, it's unlikely Republicans will have a senate majority.  And Democrats won't be able to hold out for eight years either.  Regardless of how one might view Trump, no one here...or anywhere else has the prescience to accurately predict who Trump would nominate.  We all have 100 percent foreknowledge of who Hillary will nominate.  That's more than enough for me.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 04:10:08 pm »
Republicans can't and won't block court nominations including the Supreme Court for eight years.  To begin with, it's unlikely Republicans will have a senate majority.  And Democrats won't be able to hold out for eight years either.  Regardless of how one might view Trump, no one here...or anywhere else has the prescience to accurately predict who Trump would nominate.  We all have 100 percent foreknowledge of who Hillary will nominate.  That's more than enough for me.

...and I might add I pray his conservative advisers will guide him in the right direction on choices for SCOTUS.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 04:14:47 pm »
...and I might add I pray his conservative advisers will guide him in the right direction on choices for SCOTUS.

Indeed!  :0001:

geronl

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »
2 leftist candidates will appoint leftists

Vote for Castle!

Offline RedHead

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 05:52:49 pm »
Republicans can't and won't block court nominations including the Supreme Court for eight years. 

Republicans blocked some of Obama's other appointments out of sheer petulance.  For something like the Supreme Court why would they be any different?  And why wouldn't the Democrats do the same?

To begin with, it's unlikely Republicans will have a senate majority.  And Democrats won't be able to hold out for eight years either. 

Nominees can be blocked by individual senators.  And if the Democrats do have the majority then all they have to do is refuse to hold hearings.  What can the GOP do?  Accuse them of not doing their jobs?

Regardless of how one might view Trump, no one here...or anywhere else has the prescience to accurately predict who Trump would nominate.  We all have 100 percent foreknowledge of who Hillary will nominate.  That's more than enough for me.

Nominate is one thing.  Approve is quite another.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:01:39 pm »
As to the Supreme Court nominees, go back and look at some of the turkeys that Republicans have saddled us with and it doesn't seem all that important. We've had Kelo, which trashed eminent domain. We've had the ObamaCare decision. DOMA. Even Heller was wishy-washy and will allow states to put major restrictions on gun rights in the future. I see Trump putting in a Souter or a Kennedy. Scalia won't be replaced by a Scalia.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 06:08:17 pm »
As to the Supreme Court nominees, go back and look at some of the turkeys that Republicans have saddled us with and it doesn't seem all that important. We've had Kelo, which trashed eminent domain. We've had the ObamaCare decision. DOMA. Even Heller was wishy-washy and will allow states to put major restrictions on gun rights in the future. I see Trump putting in a Souter or a Kennedy. Scalia won't be replaced by a Scalia.

You're right; Trump loves those!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 09:38:07 pm »
2 leftist candidates will appoint leftists

Vote for Castle!

If I had that kind of prescience, I'd be buying lottery tickets.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:10 pm »
Republicans blocked some of Obama's other appointments out of sheer petulance.  For something like the Supreme Court why would they be any different?  And why wouldn't the Democrats do the same?

Nominees can be blocked by individual senators.  And if the Democrats do have the majority then all they have to do is refuse to hold hearings.  What can the GOP do?  Accuse them of not doing their jobs?

Nominate is one thing.  Approve is quite another.

So for eight years the Democrats would refuse to confirm nominations?  I don't think so.  Both sides have and will continue to play games with judicial and other nominations, but I'll chance a Republican president for the nominations, rather than Hillary whose nominations every one here knows will continue the Obama transformation of the courts into far left bastions of judicial activism.  Perhaps if the Democrats do try to block everything, another Gang of 14 will decide to stop the BS, just as they did eleven years ago.

HonestJohn

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 10:03:12 pm »

If they only thing in our arsenal to make that happen is prayer... we are already doomed.

We've got to help ourselves.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 10:51:57 pm »
So for eight years the Democrats would refuse to confirm nominations?

Many of Bush's appointments took years and years to get votes. Miguel Estrada never got one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:58:47 pm by geronl »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »

Umm...could you point out those conservative advisers, please?  From what I can see, they don't actually exist.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 10:57:31 pm »

Even in the final year of the Bush admin, the Democrats managed to block and delay a lot of nominations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_judicial_appointment_controversies

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 11:12:19 pm »
You're right; Trump loves those!
Yes and some of those pompous intellectuals up thread know exactly what Trump is going to go with every aspect of his presidency. Like he has a political track record that they can lean on. And let anyone question his past statements, they are idiots. Liberals have been using the "well his intentions are good" argument for so long most of us conservatives don't give a rat's ass.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

HonestJohn

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 11:31:50 pm »
It's both.  And the means by which we help ourselves matters.  But that's ok.  You don't have to pray if you don't want to.  Some of us will.

Prayer for the Lord to rescue you is a last resort.  And it hardly ever works.

---

Prayers to the Lord, recognizing his great works and the debt you owe, is not.

Dayenu (it would have sufficed) is a good example of the latter.

If He had brought us out from Egypt, and had not carried out judgments against them, it would have sufficed us!
If He had carried out judgments against them, and not against their idols, it would have sufficed us!
If He had destroyed their idols, and had not smitten their first-born, it would have sufficed us!
If He had smitten their first-born, and had not given us their wealth, it would have sufficed us!
If He had given us their wealth, and had not split the sea for us, it would have sufficed us!
If He had split the sea for us, and had not taken us through it on dry land, it would have sufficed us!
If He had taken us through the sea on dry land, and had not drowned our oppressors in it, it would have sufficed us!
If He had drowned our oppressors in it, and had not supplied our needs in the desert for forty years, it would have sufficed us!
If He had supplied our needs in the desert for forty years, and had not fed us the manna, it would have sufficed us!
If He had fed us the manna, and had not given us the Shabbat, it would have sufficed us!
If He had given us the Shabbat, and had not brought us before Mount Sinai, it would have sufficed us!
If He had brought us before Mount Sinai, and had not given us the Torah, it would have sufficed us!
If He had given us the Torah, and had not brought us into the land of Israel, it would have sufficed us!
If He had brought us into the land of Israel, and had not built for us the Beit Habechirah (Chosen House; the Beit Hamikdash), it would have sufficed us!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 12:00:11 am »
Even in the final year of the Bush admin, the Democrats managed to block and delay a lot of nominations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_judicial_appointment_controversies

And the Republicans have stopped numerous of Obama's nominations.  Still,m I'm not aware of any of Obama's nominations and confirmations that were conservative.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 12:01:40 am »
Yes and some of those pompous intellectuals up thread know exactly what Trump is going to go with every aspect of his presidency. Like he has a political track record that they can lean on. And let anyone question his past statements, they are idiots. Liberals have been using the "well his intentions are good" argument for so long most of us conservatives don't give a rat's ass.

And yet most of us conservatives do care.