Author Topic: How Trump’s adversaries lost it all in Cleveland  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How Trump’s adversaries lost it all in Cleveland
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 01:22:56 am »
You do an Honor where none is deserved.

Before this election.. I used to go there.

But they are worse than TOS.. and earned an early distinction of being known as .." Trumpansie NutHouse". That was before Jim lost his mind... or liked the paycheck he was getting.

P.S. OK folks.. I am an oldtimer...I know FR.. what does  "TOS" stand for?
That Other Site, an euphemism for Free Republic adopted by the host of refugees and emigrants who left.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
Re: How Trump's adversaries lost it all in Cleveland
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 01:28:13 am »
A Deeper Look into Ted Cruz's RNC Convention Speech [Conservative Treehouse] [snip] Before Ted Cruz walked onto the convention stage in Cleveland, Donald Trump had a very good idea what was about to happen. Without pre-planning, or staged set-ups, Trump knew what to expect because Donald Trump has an exceptional political sense; he knows how to read his adversaries. Throughout his life, Ted Cruz has exhibited a character of division; entirely tone-deaf to the people he encounters and leaves in his wake... a lonely person despite his intellect. Toxic abrasiveness is the same reason why President George W Bush would not elevate Ted Cruz in the White House 2001-2005... That same toxic abrasiveness in 2013 is what created a lonely, divisive and ineffective Senator -- with zero legislative accomplishment -- who announced a presidential bid only 2 years after election to the Senate... The only risk to Donald Trump was if Cruz broke character and came to Cleveland to deliver a unity speech... by mid-afternoon yesterday any doubts about what direction Cruz was going to take... returned to the national political scene exactly where he left off after losing Indiana. A review of Cruz twitter feed merely confirmed the same cast of characters, the same tone, the same delivery and the same predictable approach heading into the evening. The only thing that remained last night was for Trump to see how far Cruz was willing to expose himself... The divisive, too-cute-by-half "vote your conscience, up and down the ticket" commentary came out exactly as Trump thought it would three weeks earlier when he offered the speaking engagement. That’s the moment toxic Cruz lost the audience, and abrasive Ted self-detonated. The audience chants: "we want Trump, we want Trump, we want Trump"! But it wasn’t until Cruz gave the snarky response..: "I appreciate the enthusiasm of the New York delegation" ...that visible loud BOOS commenced... the arrogant poke in the eye to the audience that finally brought Spartacus Trump into visibility within the auditorium. Toxic Ted Cruz left the stage amid a thunderous chorus of boos, having diminished himself spectacularly on the grandest political stage of them all... Only Cruz sycophants are left believing Ted Cruz has any political viability left at all. [/snip]

Leaked Teleprompter Screenshot Suggests Ted Cruz was expected to endorse Trump [Sli.mg]

I don't get it.  Why was the concern that Ted would give a unity speech (which he did, btw) considered a threat by Trump?  Wouldn't a unified party serve to help Trump.  Sounds like Trump is more about destroying conservatives than uniting the party to defeat Hillary.

Offline DB

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:16 am »
Well, dagnabit. A guy who doesn't stick to the script. Who can think on his feet. Can't have that! It'll screw up all the common taters in the MSM!

I haven't used Conservative Treehouse for a source, partly because of their unflagging bias against Cruz, noted in the tender posts of BFAC on FR. Good to 'see' you though!

I believe your linked image is from Newt's speech that followed, not Cruz's.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 01:46:53 am »
I believe your linked image is from Newt's speech that followed, not Cruz's.
You are right. I believe the image was from the post I was replying to. The whole "Cruz went off script" thing has been debunked. Otherwise, how would the Donald been able to pull his WWE grand entry stunt and have his New York Boo Chorus perform on cue for the cameras in a preplanned spontaneous demonstration of Cruz-hate.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 01:47:36 am »
That Other Site, an euphemism for Free Republic adopted by the host of refugees and emigrants who left.

Thank you, like a flee one cannot itch..that was Bugging me to no end.

Back in the day..circa mid 1990's- early 2000'sands.. I was representing on various news paper comment sections.. and liberal boards like WhistleStopper. I did not post on boards like this, as I saw it as "Preaching to the Choir."

In that time I may have placed a "holder " position on FR.. or most likely a .. well it does not matter.

Thank you for letting me know.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

geronl

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 01:56:08 am »

P.S. OK folks.. I am an oldtimer...I know FR.. what does  "TOS" stand for?

That Other Site

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 02:00:14 am »
what does  "TOS" stand for?

Total Orwellian Surrender

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:34 am »

geronl

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 03:55:53 am »
Total Orwellian Surrender

Terrible Offal Stank

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 10:16:51 am »
You are right. I believe the image was from the post I was replying to. The whole "Cruz went off script" thing has been debunked. Otherwise, how would the Donald been able to pull his WWE grand entry stunt and have his New York Boo Chorus perform on cue for the cameras in a preplanned spontaneous demonstration of Cruz-hate.
Nice fantasy world you got there. So all the tweets saying he went off script from people on the floor there and then the fact they had to alter the speeches after it were debunked huh? Hurt Feelings are not a substitute for real world .
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:46 pm »
Nice fantasy world you got there. So all the tweets saying he went off script from people on the floor there and then the fact they had to alter the speeches after it were debunked huh? Hurt Feelings are not a substitute for real world .
The image of the teleprompter was indeed identified from Newt's speech.
Ted didn't give Newt's speech, so he didn't say what was on the teleprompter in the image.
Ted gave his own speech that had been reviewed and approved.

I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, there, snowflake.

There have been millions of tweets and re-tweets during the campaign that were just plain wrong. The electronic gossip mill spreads nonsense far faster and more efficiently than the backyard fence, but that doesn't make it any more accurate than the self-righteous wagging tongues of yore. Read the image text, and see what it says, because there is no way that would be part of a speech by Cruz.

C S Lewis

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:00 pm »
The image of the teleprompter was indeed identified from Newt's speech.
Ted didn't give Newt's speech, so he didn't say what was on the teleprompter in the image.
Ted gave his own speech that had been reviewed and approved.

I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, there, snowflake.

There have been millions of tweets and re-tweets during the campaign that were just plain wrong. The electronic gossip mill spreads nonsense far faster and more efficiently than the backyard fence, but that doesn't make it any more accurate than the self-righteous wagging tongues of yore. Read the image text, and see what it says, because there is no way that would be part of a speech by Cruz.
Hey Normalcy bias one. The Facts are he had a 7 min speech and was 9 min over it. So if his speech was only 7 min and he was more then double over it obviously he was off script. Hope this does not melt ya.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2016, 01:40:49 pm »
Hey Normalcy bias one. The Facts are he had a 7 min speech and was 9 min over it. So if his speech was only 7 min and he was more then double over it obviously he was off script. Hope this does not melt ya.
Awwww. Damn the commercial break, full speed ahead!

I''m going to have a field day watching the normalcy bias head explosions in the next few years. "Melt me"? 
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 12:15:47 am »
Awwww. Damn the commercial break, full speed ahead!

I''m going to have a field day watching the normalcy bias head explosions in the next few years. "Melt me"? 
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Truly amazing. He has no shame whatsoever.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:12 am »
The GOPe never wanted unity. The want to be seen as the liberal little brother to the DemRat party. They are tried and true party of nationalist progressives.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:50 am »
How sweet.  GOP-e and Trump forces working together to crush the conservative grassroots.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

come to think of it I remember the The Donny was Parting on the right.... before he began Parting on the Left...or maybe that was vice versa??
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:04 pm »
Hopefully we will see you around more often

Thanks!  I'm on daily, but basically just going to lurk for the most part.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2016, 05:51:39 pm »
The flaw in your position is you cite to a midway vote total not a final vote total.
the final vote totals were:
Trump: 14,009,098 (44.96%) (who was also 2nd choice and thus not voted against of the vast majority of GOP voters who did not vote for him).
Cruz: 7,810,477  (25.07%)
Kaisch: 4,287,325 (13.76%)
Rubio: 3,513,879 (11.28%)
Carson: 857,023 (2.75%)
Bush: 286,634 (0.92%)
Gilmore: 18,364 (0.06%)
Christie: 57,636 (0.18%)
Fiorina: 40,578 (0.13%)
Paul: 66,790 (0.21%)
Huckabee: 51,441 (0.17%)
Santorum: 16,625 (0.05%)
[9 more]

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/R

The "majority voted against Trump" talking point is a stupid and dishonest argument based on a logical fallacy that incorrectly presumes a vote for one is a vote against all others. Its Stupid because it flips back on the ones parroting it to say the closest opponent of Trump had  74.93% voting against him and it went up from there for all other opponents.

That Trump won 44.96% of a 17-way race is outstanding in any election if you are honest with yourself.

No ...the flaw in your position is that Trump went the last 10 states with no opposing candidate.  And in some cases still couldn't get over 70% (while unopposed) of the vote.

Yeah, he got the most votes, but your claim of 45% final of the entire GOP populous is very misleading and skewed for that FACT..  I am guess, if he had been opposed for the balance, he might not have broken 40%.  Give me an example of a nominee who has done worse (<40%)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline beandog

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2016, 05:53:01 pm »
What did you do to get the de facto ban?  I took a look at your posting history and there wasn't one post that I could find that could posssibly be construed as against the Donald.  In fact, your posts were pretty mild.  Whose feelings did you hurt?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2016, 06:19:07 pm »

Glad you are here! You always manage to find the neatest stuff to post.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2016, 06:15:05 am »
Glad you are here! You always manage to find the neatest stuff to post.
Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2016, 06:18:18 am »
What did you do to get the de facto ban? ...Whose feelings did you hurt?
The FR interface is actually a big favorite of mine, but it's getting long in the tooth and needs a tweaking.  For a few years now, JimRob has repeatedly hollered at me to "stop spamming the keywords", because that custom FR software has about ten separate keyword systems, instead of just one, and even with the greatly reduced user volume, isn't robust enough apparently to stand up to the strain of having topics simpler for users to find.  Topic duplication arises too easily, and that's without considering the fact that some fraction of visitors post topics without any kind of effort to locate earlier topics about the same thing (or based on the same article).