Author Topic: Rastafari Cook Ordered to Cut Dreadlocks, U.S. Sues for Discrimination  (Read 535 times)

rangerrebew

Rastafari Cook Ordered to Cut Dreadlocks, U.S. Sues for Discrimination

JULY 15, 2016

The Obama administration is spending taxpayer dollars to sue a private business for not allowing a male employee to have long, matted and knotted hair required to practice an “Afrocentric” religion in which followers also smoke marijuana (“the spiritual use of cannabis”). Known as Rastafari, it was born in the slums of Jamaica and followers must have dreadlocks, long clumps of ungroomed hair, symbolizing the mane of the Lion of Judah.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency that enforces the nation’s workplace discrimination laws, is suing on behalf of a Rastafari prep cook in an Orlando, Florida Walt Disney resort who was ordered to cut his dreadlocks because it didn’t comply with the company’s appearance standards. Disney isn’t the defendant, but rather the Orlando staffing company, Hospitality Staff, that provides workers for central Florida’s huge hospitality industry. When Disney complained about the employee’s hair, Hospitality Staff management told the prep cook (Courtney Joseph) to cut his hair if he wanted to return to work, even though Joseph explained that he couldn’t because he was a practicing Rastafarian and his dreadlocks were part of his religious beliefs.

http://www.illegalaliens.us/immigrationblognews.htm

READ MORE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:09:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

I shudder to think what critters reside in those hairdos.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I shudder to think what critters reside in those hairdos.
Rastafari is an Abrahamic belief which developed in Jamaica in the 1930s, following the coronation of Haile Selassie I as Emperor of Ethiopia in 1930. Its adherents worship him in much the same way as Jesus in his Second Advent, or as God the Father.
Sound like a legit religion to me! I am guessing the major requirements are having a picture of Selassie, not washing your rats nest and probably most important of all, a truckload of weed to aid in multiple daily devotionals. :amen: