See subject

Seems like it.
20 (80%)
Stop being a drama queen.
1 (4%)
Somewhat/Maybe/Other
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Is the world descending into chaos?  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Is the world descending into chaos?
« on: July 16, 2016, 12:50:19 am »
Am I alone is seeing this?

Oceander

Re: Is the world descending into chaos?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:52:40 am »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:24:30 am »
You're not alone, but chaos is the natural disorder of things. Humans are behaving more chaotically, or we are just hearing about it more, but that has a way of being self limiting, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 03:07:38 am »
It depends on the region. 

The Middle East is no better or worse than it's been for the last 100 years.

But outside of Venezuela, South and Central America seem to be better off than they were.  And the same goes for Africa and Asia, too.

Western Europe and America are sinking, though, as compromise has become an 'evil' notion.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 03:17:53 am »
It depends on the region. 

The Middle East is no better or worse than it's been for the last 100 years.

But outside of Venezuela, South and Central America seem to be better off than they were.  And the same goes for Africa and Asia, too.

Western Europe and America are sinking, though, as compromise has become an 'evil' notion.

Argentina was following the Chavez model and destroying its own economy too, most of South America has elected leaders that emulate the bolivarian revolutionary. Central is an impoverished mess like always.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:18:25 am by geronl »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 03:29:48 am »
You're not alone, but chaos is the natural disorder of things. Humans are behaving more chaotically, or we are just hearing about it more, but that has a way of being self limiting, too.

OK, I was going to say exactly what Smokin Joe just said.  I just wouldn't have said it as well. 

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 03:38:07 am »
Some days it just seems that way...when everything you touch....

:beer:

geronl

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:43:35 am »
In Venezuela Maduro just appointed a military guy to something akin to co-President. The man is a true believer in government control of production and distribution of goods too.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 03:56:03 am »
In Venezuela Maduro just appointed a military guy to something akin to co-President. The man is a true believer in government control of production and distribution of goods too.

He won't be able to get raw materials or food imported any better than anyone else before him has. 

Venezuela is descending into chaos and a massive humanitarian crisis.  We have a lot of local friends in the local Venezuelan ex-pat community and the stories we hear about family back home are heartbreaking and terrifying.  Hard to believe this is going on in 2016 but it is.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 07:07:35 am »
People have been complaining that the world is descending into chaos since the times they had to put twig to clay (Seriously, read the epic of Gilgamesh - it's in there) to record their thoughts.

Yet here we are. Still. Unchaoticised.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 11:58:12 am »
I miss the days when 30 minutes of Walter Cronkite each week night would direct my fear and loathing about the world around me so I could sleep soundly at night.  Then I would know how to answer the OP's question.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »
People have been complaining that the world is descending into chaos since the times they had to put twig to clay (Seriously, read the epic of Gilgamesh - it's in there) to record their thoughts.

Yet here we are. Still. Unchaoticised.  :shrug:

Unchaoticised?    Economies are failing, governments being overthrown, wars and organized murder abound.  Yes the human race will most likely continue for a while.  A lot of people wont.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 01:12:23 pm »

It all about POV. If you're directly involved in the chaos [or the media frenzy] then it seems so.

If you believe the Bible, it's not much of a surprise.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 02:12:16 pm »
Unchaoticised?    Economies are failing, governments being overthrown, wars and organized murder abound.  Yes the human race will most likely continue for a while.  A lot of people wont.

Name one year in the last 7000 years when that has not been the case.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 02:17:51 pm »
Name one year in the last 7000 years when that has not been the case.

Kind of a simplistic view.   There is more war, more death, more violence then at any time.  Yes there are cycles but more people have died in wars the last few decades than at any other time in those 7000 years.

The better question is why do you seek to minimize the violence Islam is bringing the world and their efforts to establish their Caliphate.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »
Kind of a simplistic view.   There is more war, more death, more violence then at any time. 

100% false. We are actually living in very peaceful times.

Homicide rates, rape , genocide etc through out the world are at record lows.  There is fighting in the ME but in a nutshell not that any people are dying.

It only seems like times are worse because we have the internet.  1-2 people getting killed by a jihadist would have never made the papers 40 years ago.

China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Burma etc had huge genocide/internals strife and wars and they are all now peaceful

My sisters Catholic grade school teacher in the 70's raped and strangled 2 of his young girl students. No one outside 30 miles where we live heard of it. Today it would have made The Daily Mail, internet chat sites.

The US murder rate for 2015 is at a 51 year low according to the FBI report which just came out in June.

@driftdiver
@HonestJohn
@geronl

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:35:32 pm by mirraflake »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 02:42:19 pm »
I'm mixed but I'm too tired right now to write one of my long, boring soliloquies no one wants to read anyway so I'm noting this for later. :)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 04:55:59 pm »
Kind of a simplistic view.   There is more war, more death, more violence then at any time.  Yes there are cycles but more people have died in wars the last few decades than at any other time in those 7000 years.
We also have far more people and far more efficient means of killing people than at any time in the past. That's going to lead to a higher body count.

The better question is why do you seek to minimize the violence Islam is bringing the world and their efforts to establish their Caliphate.
Oh, I don't. They, too, have more efficient means of delivering their particular mayhem than ever before. As those means become more capable, their influence will be felt more, and since they are long students of inflicting the most mayhem with the least resource investment, they will be an influence until countermeasures are appropriate or deterrents are effective. Keep in mind they have been focused on a specific goal for 1400 years. If Western Civilization is to survive that, it would be advisable for us to get our feces consolidated and focus on our survival as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:56:30 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 03:20:59 am »
If you think the world is descending into chaos now, just wait till Clinton or Trump takes office; you ain't seen nothin' yet!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 08:21:34 pm »
ABSOLUTELY  evil is inherently DISORDERED!!   The Father Of Lies is the author of CHAOS! I'lll be charitable and not mention any NAMES here1
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 08:24:06 pm »

Homicide rates, rape , genocide etc through out the world are at record lows.  There is fighting in the ME but in a nutshell not that any people are dying.

It only seems like times are worse because we have the internet.  1-2 people getting killed by a jihadist would have never made the papers 40 years ago.

China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Burma etc had huge genocide/internals strife and wars and they are all now peaceful

My sisters Catholic grade school teacher in the 70's raped and strangled 2 of his young girl students. No one outside 30 miles where we live heard of it. Today it would have made The Daily Mail, internet chat sites.

The US murder rate for 2015 is at a 51 year low according to the FBI report which just came out in June.

@driftdiver
@HonestJohn
@geronl

THOUSANDS Of CHRISTIAN are being MURDERED by Muslims in the Middle East!  why you don't know this is either ignorance of naiveté  I will allow that it may be naiveté as BIG MEDIA rarely mentions this second tier HOLOCAUST!!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:25:10 pm by Meshuge Mikey »
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:13 pm »

@driftdiver
@HonestJohn
@geronl

When did the world become the USA? The discussion was the world not the USA.

geronl

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:25 pm »
ABSOLUTELY  evil is inherently DISORDERED!!   The Father Of Lies is the author of CHAOS! I'lll be charitable and not mention any NAMES here1

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 08:56:00 pm »
I see the bad moon arising.

I see trouble on the way.

I see earthquakes and lightnin'.

I see those bad times today.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour