Author Topic: Barbecue Wars It's the old-fashioned versus the newfangled.  (Read 634 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.weeklystandard.com/barbecue-wars/article/2003185

Barbecue Wars
It's the old-fashioned versus the newfangled.

JUL 18, 2016 | By TERRY EASTLAND

Barbecue is a Southern food, and a special one. The food writer Jeffrey Steingarten says it is “simply the most delectable of all traditional American food." It originated in the 18th century in eastern North Carolina with whole-hog barbecue, in which the entire pig is cooked. While that tradition persists, barbecue has diversified in recent decades. Parts of a hog, its shoulders in particular, have become a meat for barbecue, as have non-pork meats, such as beef, mutton, and even fish. Meanwhile, outside the South, Kansas City has warmed to barbecue, creating its own distinctive style. What Southern barbecue has in common (at least in Barbecue) is not the state in which it is cooked, nor the particular meat that is cooked, but how the meat is cooked: "For a long time at a low temperature with heat and smoke from burning wood or wood coals."

John Shelton Reed, who taught sociology at the University of North Carolina, is a barbecue authority and the author of a previous title on the subject, which I reviewed in these pages ("Pigs Without Blankets," December 8, 2008). Reed is worried about barbecue's future. Lately, he writes, barbecue has begun to appear on the menus of tony restaurants whose "chefs just can't resist adding cheffy touches" such as "blueberries in sauces, ground coffee in rubs, that sort of thing." Holding back, a little, on what he really thinks, Reed says that there is "nothing intrinsically wrong with this, and much of it tastes pretty good." Yet such innovations could undermine "local barbecue traditions."

Reed is the conservative here in an argument between the keepers of tradition and the pioneers of self-expression. This is an argument playing out in many contexts, even (you may now have learned) barbecue. Reed wants to preserve local barbecue traditions against the fancy-food chefs of national ambition. And toward that end, in Barbecue, he has translated those traditions "for home production." Which means that he has written an actual cookbook, reckoning that its recipes will teach home cooks how to cook Southern barbecue, local traditions thus maintained.

Most of the recipes call for indirect heat, in which the fire is not directly below the meat, as it still is in whole-hog cooking, but "off to the side." It is made with commercial lump charcoal or briquettes out of the bag, and a few soaked wood chunks (oak or hickory) can be added to generate more smoke.

The recipes assume that home cooks will have, or obtain, the necessary tools for cooking barbecue: a cooker; two thermometers (one to measure the temperature in the cooker and the other the internal temperature of the animal); a starter chimney for the charcoal ("you'll wonder why you ever fooled with lighter fluid"); gloves (because trying "to handle big chunks of meat with tongs or a fork is just stupid"); a small mop or squirt bottle, for basting; plenty of heavy-duty aluminum foil; and a wire brush/scraper tool, for cleaning up.

Perhaps the best decision Reed made here was to include recipes for everything that traditionally has gone into cooking barbecue, meaning the rubs and mops; presenting it, meaning the sauces; and been eaten alongside, or after, it—meaning the side stews and dishes, the slaws and breads, and the desserts. Thirty-six of the 52 recipes in Barbecue are for those items, which Reed calls barbecue's "usual accessories." And this is the tradition they teach: that Southern barbecue is not just the meat, though that is the central attraction.

Among the recipes that stand out is one for Pan-Southern Pork Shoulder. Pork shoulder is a hard meat to mess up and an easy one in which to excel. It is

the most forgiving of barbecue meats. It's self-basting, it develops a wonderfully smoky "bark," and it's hard to overcook. It's a good place for beginners to start and not a bad place to stop, which is probably why it's found chopped, pulled or sliced on barbecue plates and sandwiches almost everywhere in the South.

I would also recommend the recipe titled Texas Monthly Brisket. Texas Monthly has a barbecue editor, and Reed uses the editor's simple recipe, which calls for a "10-12 pound well-marbled brisket with the fat cap still intact" and cooks at the rate of a pound an hour. "Don't mess with the meat," says Reed. "You don't need to turn, flip, poke, prod, or even look at it."

Among the recipes for sides, the one for Virginia-Carolina "Yes We Can" Brunswick Stew is worth a try. It's not clear why this recipe got the long name it did. Not that it matters: To make the stew you need chicken and beef or pork, corn, butter beans or limas, tomatoes, and onions. And you can use canned foods: "Combine the ingredients in a stockpot and bring to a boil," writes Reed.

The recipes for Cold Slaugh and Creamy Coleslaw are more interesting. The first dates back, at least, to the 19th century, when there was no refrigeration. It does not use mayonnaise. The second recipe does use mayonnaise—although, as Reed cautions, it includes onions, the taste of which "gets stronger as the slaw ages." Among other promising side-dish recipes is one for a potato salad of central Texas origins and one for boiled potatoes of eastern North Carolina origins. The latter calls for Texas Pete sauce, which is a North Carolina creation!

As for the bread recipes, there is one for hush puppies that has proved terrific on the occasions I have been to one of the Stamey's restaurants in the North Carolina Piedmont. Stamey's began using the recipe in the 1950s. Before then, writes Reed, "these little deep-fried doughballs had rarely been found apart from fried fish." Now it is a Southern barbecue tradition.

A barbecue tray or plate may be all anyone wants for a lunch or dinner. But for those seeking "sweet relief," as Reed puts it, the recipe for Dori's Peach Cobbler looks to be the best of the traditional desserts discussed here. Dori Sanders is a South Carolina peach farmer and her cobbler, writes Reed, is "a 'magic' cobbler, because it creates its own top crust. .  .  . This is best served warm, with vanilla ice cream, but it's good cold, too."

As for something to drink, Reed has just one recipe—and yes, it's for sweet tea: "It can go with anything, and in barbecue places run by Baptists—often the best—it usually does. It's especially a counterpoint to vinegar-based sauces, producing a fine old sweet-and-sour yin yang."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Barbecue Wars It's the old-fashioned versus the newfangled.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:32:52 pm »
Didn't know where to put this.   Anyway, thought a little diversion might be in order.

We do baby back ribs.  My wife has a secret rub she uses; we cook three or four full racks each time.  She covers in foil and puts them in the oven at 275 degrees for two hours (or, in a test, when the meat begins to separate from the end bones). 

Then, I take them outside and, in indirect heat, cook each rack on a grill with wood briquets for an additional 30 minutes each, turning and basting.   They are exquisite.

Love cole slaw with a tiny bit of mayo , no sugar.  And, of course, potato salad. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:45:06 pm by sinkspur »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:07:54 am »
I like this thread. I can't get good BBQ where I live, so I look forward to visiting relatives during the summer months that live in the south. I can get good BBQ and grits! Hurray!

A person would clean up of they brought BBQ to  NJ/ NY area. Good BBQ. Not Famous Dave's.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »
I fired up the smoker last Saturday and smoked some ribs and chicken halves.
I like to do brisket, but only when they are on sale now.
They got pretty expensive.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 01:15:37 pm »
I use mesquite charcoal in my smoker and grill.  I get 50 pound bags for $16 here, and nothing beats the flavor.  I usually cook outside 3-4 times a week in the summer.

Don't overlook gilling veggies.  I've got a couple of stainless steel wire mesh grilling baskets that I use to cook all kinds of sides.  A couple of sliced potatoes, onions, garlic and sweet peppers, marinated in balsalmic vinegar & olive oil, cook up quick and tasty over hot coals.

:beer:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:20:57 pm »
I use mesquite charcoal in my smoker and grill.  I get 50 pound bags for $16 here, and nothing beats the flavor.  I usually cook outside 3-4 times a week in the summer.

Don't overlook gilling veggies.  I've got a couple of stainless steel wire mesh grilling baskets that I use to cook all kinds of sides.  A couple of sliced potatoes, onions, garlic and sweet peppers, marinated in balsalmic vinegar & olive oil, cook up quick and tasty over hot coals.

Love the mesh baskets.  I love grilled onions and garlic too.  Have to try peppers.  Love to do corn on the cob on the grill.

Two weeks ago I bought some oysters in the shell.  Cracked them open, basted with garlic butter and sprinkled on parmesan cheese.  They turned out pretty well, although not as good as Acme Grill in New Orleans.  Love grilled oysters.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 01:49:38 pm »
bookmark for later developments...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TheMom

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 07:16:34 pm »
I like this thread. I can't get good BBQ where I live, so I look forward to visiting relatives during the summer months that live in the south. I can get good BBQ and grits! Hurray!

A person would clean up of they brought BBQ to  NJ/ NY area. Good BBQ. Not Famous Dave's.

BBQ, Tex-Mex and Whataburger were the first things I ate when I returned home from my two month trip to NYC. 
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:38:47 pm »

Love the mesh baskets.  I love grilled onions and garlic too.  Have to try peppers.  Love to do corn on the cob on the grill.

Two weeks ago I bought some oysters in the shell.  Cracked them open, basted with garlic butter and sprinkled on parmesan cheese.  They turned out pretty well, although not as good as Acme Grill in New Orleans.  Love grilled oysters.

I had to sell my townhouse in MD back in 2010 after I lost my job and I currently live in an apartment in PA and I really, really miss having a grill.  I can’t have one here because I live on the second floor.

I had a really nice gas grill which I liked for the convenience but I used a smoker box to get a bit of that smoky flavor – and I experimented with different types of wood chips and sometimes soaked them in apple juice or cider, even cranberry juice one time, instead of water.

I used to grill just about every Sunday weather permitting, even in the winter, and I would grill extra for meals for the upcoming week, chicken breasts, salmon, pork chops, steaks. I had a rotisserie attachment and did whole chickens and turkey breasts and even one time a butterflied boneless leg of lamb, with great success.  I loved grilling vegetables too – marinated zucchini halves, red and green peppers, eggplant, onions, potatoes and corn (the corn I would leave the husks on, cutting off just the ends and soaking them in water for about a ½ hour before grilling).  I also liked grilling salmon on cedar planks, the flavor is amazing.

Darn. Now I’m hungry.

The good thing is since I moved to PA, my niece and her husband live not far away and her husband is an avid griller, BBQ’er and really an all-around great cook. He has one of those big combo gas/charcoal grills with a wood smoker attachment and he makes really delicious things on it – ribs, chicken, beef. I never miss an invitation to dinner at their house.

The only thing he wishes he had was something big enough to do a whole pig on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:39:09 pm by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »
Y'all are making me REALLY hungry.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 11:46:43 pm »
Beef is barbeque.  And the sauce goes on the side for dipping.

Beef ribs, brisket, sirloin tri-tips...

...drooooooooool.

Pork is just... meh.  Too juicy and bland.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:50:12 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 02:23:43 am »
I do like pork alright.
It is easy to smoke, a lot of fat to keep it moist.
But Brisket, it is an art, dang near alchemy.
Those who do it well, and consistently, are all friends of mine.
I am okay at it, more hits than misses.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:25:06 am by GrouchoTex »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 03:06:17 am »

The grilling baskets are really handy & I use them all the time.  The Missus got 'em on Amazon.  I built a decent outdoor grilling area that serves me as an outdoor kitchen that I use all summer long.  I got new grills this year and sprung for the enameled cast iron.  They cook like a champ and put some nice grill marks on a steak. 

Balsamic vinegars come in many different flavors and you just can't go wrong with using it as a marinade on just about anything.  Any recipe with tomatoes needs a good shot of your favorite balsamic.  Grilled chicken marinated in nothing but balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper is really good hot  but even better cold.  I make the Missus a potato-chicken salad for her lunch last week...I grilled a couple extra chicken breasts then chilled 'em and chunked 'em.  I had some new Yukon Golds I just dug in the garden & steamed a couple for the salad.  Toss in some fresh herbs...thyme, fresh chives and some sweet onion.....yah man....

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 03:14:41 am »
Okay, fire at me with both barrels, if you must, but barbecue is an all day affair with a smoker, a ball cap, most likely a free one, friends and family, and generous amounts of beer. Should be a ball game or a car race on in the background. Anymore talk about balsamic vinegar and such, I'll have to call the authorities and have them take away your man cards!

LOL!

(Well, this is what we do here, anyway).