Author Topic: Ted Cruz to meet with secretive conservative group in Cleveland  (Read 1126 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Ted Cruz to meet with secretive conservative group in Cleveland

CLEVELAND — Ted Cruz is making an extra trip to Cleveland to address a closed-door meeting of influential conservative leaders this Friday ahead of the Republican National Convention, according to four people familiar with his plans.

Cruz will speak to a gathering of the Council for National Policy, a secretive group of conservative activists, many of whom backed the Texas senator in his failed presidential bid earlier this year.

The CNP is a nonprofit, but some of its members, including President Tony Perkins, who also serves as head of the Family Research Council, are part of a subgroup that had voted to endorse Cruz in hopes of uniting the conservative movement behind a single candidate in 2016, rather than splintering as it had in 2008 and 2012.

Republicans instead nominated Donald Trump, who performed well among evangelical voters but has struggled to sell himself to evangelical leaders, citing “Two Corinthians” in one speech and saying he hopes not to have to ask God “for much forgiveness.”

Cruz’s address, which his spokeswoman Catherine Frazier confirmed, comes at a pivotal moment for the conservative movement, only days ahead of the Republican convention where Trump is expected to be nominated.

The closed-door speech also represents a chance for Cruz to stay in the good graces of conservative leaders who could power a 2020 presidential run. Cruz has already agreed to speak at the nationally televised convention, even though he has yet to endorse Trump....

...Cruz will arrive in Cleveland as the RNC’s Rules Committee is scheduled to meet. That is where anti-Trump delegates are hoping to make a last stand to change party rules to allow delegates to vote against Trump. Frazier said Cruz plans to appear only at the CNP gathering, not at the RNC meetings....

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/ted-cruz-republicans-cleveland-225452#ixzz4EJGHQ3rx
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:11:23 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Ted Cruz to meet with secretive conservative group in Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:18:44 pm »
                             Got it out for some of our Trumpet Crowd here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:27:46 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »
                             Got it out for the some of our Trumpet Crowd here.

Thank you for your service. :silly:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »
                             Got it out for the some of our Trumpet Crowd here.

To paraphrase a great movie quote:

You're gonna need a bigger roll...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:30:35 pm »
The closed-door speech also represents a chance for Cruz to stay in the good graces of conservative leaders who could power a 2020 presidential run. Cruz has already agreed to speak at the nationally televised convention, even though he has yet to endorse Trump....

I think Sen Cruz is smart enough to see it would be nothing short of a trainwreck to replace Trump now. Odds are Trump loses in Nov. and preparing for 2020 makes a lot of sense.

Trump killed any chance of an endorsement the second he started with the "lying Ted" crap. All the "conservatives" who have jumped on the Trump train will never again be trusted by conservatives who are actively involved in trying to advance conservatism, but this is something that will play out after the election.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »
I have to laugh at these things...

A "secretive meeting" that everyone knows about, and no one is denying.

Even his spokeswoman, Catherine Frazier,  confirmed it!

geronl

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 05:41:55 pm »
I have to laugh at these things...

A "secretive meeting" that everyone knows about, and no one is denying.

Even his spokeswoman, Catherine Frazier,  confirmed it!

Audio-video and transcripts available within an hour of the speech too.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 07:09:59 pm »
Trump wasn't invited, so it's a secret plot, see?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 07:35:25 pm »
To paraphrase a great movie quote:

You're gonna need a bigger roll...

Great movie quote and apropos for the situation.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 10:15:55 pm »
Great movie quote and apropos for the situation.

:beer:
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...