Author Topic: 5 Reasons You'll Avoid the new 'Ghostbusters' Reboot  (Read 1882 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

5 Reasons You'll Avoid the new 'Ghostbusters' Reboot
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:48:37 pm »
SOURCE: PJ MEDIA

URL: https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2016/07/12/5-reasons-youll-avoid-the-ghostbusters-reboot/?singlepage=true

by: Christian Toto

The most controversial movie of the year hits theaters this week.

It doesn't involve politics, abortion or other white-hot issues. It's about four women who fight ghosts to save the world.

How did we get here?

It started when the reboot of the beloved 1984 comedy cast four women, not men, as the Ghostbusting quartet. That isn't bad on the surface. Heck, it's a clever way to distinguish the reboot from the source material.

It still rankled some hardcore fans. Yet that's far from the film's only trouble spot.

Here are five reasons why audiences may take a pass on the film when it opens July 15. This has nothing to do with the film's quality, mind you. The reboot is now a part of the culture wars, plain and simple. It's also a movie with some serious red flags.

1. That Trailer

The first "Ghostbusters" trailer became the most disliked movie preview in YouTube history? That's not fair, since we've already suffered through many movie trailers that were clearly worse. Yet given the expectations attached to the film, that awful trailer deserved that chilly reception. Plus, in 2016 movie trailers matter. We eagerly await them, pore over every detail and share them with friends via social media. When the "Ghostbusters" trailer landed with a thud, everyone heard

2. Who Needs to Be Lectured?

The media has been rallying around the movie ever since the casting news hit the web. It's Hollywood's attempt to balance the gender scales at long last. There's some truth to that. Hollywood remains a male-dominated industry. Yet movie lovers who approached "Ghostbusters" with skepticism were instantly labeled as "haters" or even "misogynists." Movies should be a fun experience, the ultimate in escapism. Getting lectured at for hating a trailer is the exact opposite.

3. It Was a Bad Idea in the First Place

Hollywood has been working on a "Ghostbusters" project for some time. The original film's cast toyed with a number of scripts, although co-star Bill Murray appeared consistently reluctant to revisit the property. Years passed with no resolution, despite the potential riches tied to the brand. Finally, the all-female "Ghostbusters" plans came forward. Maybe there's a reason Hollywood hemmed and hawed over the idea. It was a great concept at the time, but the culture has moved on.

4. We Don't Even Want the Toys

The New York Post recently reported that Target is discounting "Ghostbusters" toys days before the film even opens. This reporter confirmed that account. If consumers aren't gobbling up "Ghostbusters"-related merchandise, it could mean they don't have an appetite for the actual film.

@Lesdoggg @melissamccarthy Why in the hell are Ghostbuster toys on clearance before the freaking movie comes out! pic.twitter.com/OWKe7h3qoi

— boo_blair (@cooke_blair) July 5, 2016

5. Reboot Fatigue

Audiences are fickle when it comes to Hollywood reboots. We apparently were overjoyed to return to Jurassic Park, given the sizable box office haul for last summer's "Jurassic World." Yet not all reboots get a similar welcome. We still love the original "Ghostbusters," but perhaps we prefer it was left alone and not recast as a commercial franchise.

THE ORIGINAL GHOSTBUSTERS

GHOSTBUSTERS 2016

Offline r9etb

Re: 5 Reasons You'll Avoid the new 'Ghostbusters' Reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:05:11 pm »
6.  Why does "Ghostbusters" (or pretty much any movie) need a "reboot" in the first place?  Surely there are new ideas out there, waiting to be worked on.... or is that just too hard?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:18:14 pm »
6.  Why does "Ghostbusters" (or pretty much any movie) need a "reboot" in the first place?  Surely there are new ideas out there, waiting to be worked on.... or is that just too hard?

$$$$$$$. People like nostalgia plus they already own the rights and story so it saves production costs. With rare exception like The Fantastic 4 reboots, they generally have a higher ROI.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 03:21:34 pm »
They should rename it GLOCK-BUSTERS.

Offline Millee

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:33:53 pm »
#6 - Melissa McCarthy is incredibly annoying. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »
An old movie simply re-worked with reversed gender rolls and a marketing campaign painting it 'controversial'.

I can already hear the feminist-themed wisecracks. No thank you.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »
I don't like remakes anyway

I definitely don't have any desire to see a PC remake

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 05:04:56 pm »
Does anyone look at that cast and think "Comedy SUPERTEAM!"...?

Now, consider Akroyd and Murray with a Ramis as a straight man and a dash of Moranis thrown in.

Seriously. There is no comparison.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:08:23 pm »
Does anyone look at that cast and think "Comedy SUPERTEAM!"...?

They look like extra's or fans posing for a picture. Then again, at least they'd smile.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 05:19:29 pm »
Hollywood's creative juices seem to have run dry. When they made the Flintstones into a movie I generally stopped looking for anything new. There have been a few odds and ends, but so much seems like it lacks the ingenuity reserved for some of the series shows on cable.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 05:26:49 pm »
They look like extra's or fans posing for a picture. Then again, at least they'd smile.

Exactly. It looks like bad cosplay.

Here is good cosplay:

...and...

(I like the throwback pinup look here instead of the sloppy halloween costumes on the new cast.)

...and...

(The scuffed up boots is a nice touch compared to those ridiculous boots the cast has on, even if the rest of her outfit is spotless.)

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 06:54:17 pm »
So since this is a public event, and these are obviously lesbian women, are we not compelled to go watch the movie? Since we have to bake cakes for gay marriages, I figured we must attend the movie or we're homophobic and violating the 14th amendment, Equal Treatment.

Especially if you seen the first Ghostbusters, then to be fair attendance should be mandatory, to be fair and equal.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 08:21:41 pm »
Sorry I see that pic of the 2016 cast and all that comes to mind is Butch Bitches Busting, one look at them and who would be afraid of ghost in comparison. I was ambivalent of this movie from the start, my brother worked on some of the props for the original, so it would take something special to supplant those memories, from what I have seen, this movie is just especially bad and try as I might I have never found any of these women funny.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:49 pm »
An old movie simply re-worked with reversed gender rolls and a marketing campaign painting it 'controversial'.

I can already hear the feminist-themed wisecracks. No thank you.

The walls in the 53rd precinct were free-bleeding...
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 12:50:34 am »
To be honest I didn't much like the original Ghostbusters movies, and I'm a huge Bill Murray fan. The second was a little more interesting than the first, but not something I'd want to see again.
But really irks me is the trend today to place females in roles originated by males, and everybody is supposed to fall in line praising the women actors......none of whom I've ever heard of.
  Sorry, I won't see the movie, (I see very few modern movies anyway), and I certainly won't see something cooked up by the prevailing liberal p.c. SJWs.  What's next...they'll remake all the old war movies and give females the starring roles?  We'll see D-day movies with women soliders jumping out of Higgins boats?
It's like all the comic book characters as well being remade into either feminist or homosexual characters. Thor is a woman? The Green Lantern is  a homo?  Who does these sorts of things? Out of control liberal maniacs that's who.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 12:55:44 am »
Thor is a woman? The Green Lantern is  a homo?  Who does these sorts of things? Out of control liberal maniacs that's who.

Captain America and Green Lantern and some others are black now, so is the next Iron Man apparently.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »
Captain America and Green Lantern and some others are black now, so is the next Iron Man apparently.
Which proves that liberals ruin everything eventually.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »
They could have at least made any of them attractive. I don't want to watch 4 butch lesbos for 2 hours. no thanks.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 10:32:20 pm »
They could have at least made any of them attractive. I don't want to watch 4 butch lesbos for 2 hours. no thanks.
GhostBUSTers could attract a big following with the proper casting.
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »
On a sports forum I frequent there was a thread about WNBA basketball players and why more people don't like to watch them. I suggested that the potato sacks they wore for uniforms didn't help much. Sexier unis might bring in more male fans.
The basic truth is that most men only like to watch females play sports if the women are attractive or its their own children. Some people are accused of racism because they don't like to watch Serena Williams (who is built like a fullback) play tennis. But the same people didn't like to watch Martina Navratilova who looked like the butch bulldyke she was when she played.
I think that's probably true for men watching female actors. Men like to watch attractive women...that will never change. If they wanted more more to watch the movie, they should have dressed the women in sexier outfits. That might not have helped much, but it couldn't have hurt. Of course, the men would have been accused of rank sexism....and the accusers would have been right.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:39:57 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »
On a sports forum I frequent there was a thread about WNBA basketball players and why more people don't like to watch them. I suggested that the potato sacks they wore for uniforms didn't help much. Sexier unis might bring in more male fans.
The basic truth is that most men only like to watch females play sports if the women are attractive or its their own children. Some people are accused of racism because they don't like to watch Serena Williams (who is built like a fullback) play tennis. But the same people didn't like to watch Martina Navratilova who looked like the butch bulldyke she was when she played.
I think that's probably true for men watching female actors. Men like to watch attractive women...that will never change. If they wanted more more to watch the movie, they should have dressed the women in sexier outfits. That might not have helped much, but it couldn't have hurt. Of course, the men would have been accused of rank sexism....and the accusers would have been right.
A valid point. Who wants to watch people whose appearance exudes a hostility toward your very being?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 01:56:06 pm »
I tried to watch the movie 'The Heat' with Melissa McCarthy but she was so butch and annoying and the abysmal stupidity of the plot and dialog made my ears start to bleed. I made it through about 20 minutes of this torture before I recycled the DVD to scare birds and small animals out of my garden. And it works really well.

Serena Williams is a monster. I have never before seen a woman who I thought could actually kick Michelle Obama's ass, but if there is one it would be Serena. Watching those two fight would be like watching Ali vs. Frazier redux.

All the comic book characters are being changed into women, or Black, or homosexual/transgender. Which is fine with me because the whole audience for 'comic books' is in death throes anyway. These companies will pay for their market ignorance with their wallets. The average guy following this stuff is an aging White guy in his mid-30s to 40s. And they simply will not buy the new crap no matter how "politically correct" it may be.

This is just an old industry ringing the rag for the last few drops of money before the whole industry goes belly up.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 05:35:27 pm »
I tried to watch the movie 'The Heat' with Melissa McCarthy but she was so butch and annoying and the abysmal stupidity of the plot and dialog made my ears start to bleed. I made it through about 20 minutes of this torture before I recycled the DVD to scare birds and small animals out of my garden. And it works really well.

Serena Williams is a monster. I have never before seen a woman who I thought could actually kick Michelle Obama's ass, but if there is one it would be Serena. Watching those two fight would be like watching Ali vs. Frazier redux.

All the comic book characters are being changed into women, or Black, or homosexual/transgender. Which is fine with me because the whole audience for 'comic books' is in death throes anyway. These companies will pay for their market ignorance with their wallets. The average guy following this stuff is an aging White guy in his mid-30s to 40s. And they simply will not buy the new crap no matter how "politically correct" it may be.

This is just an old industry ringing the rag for the last few drops of money before the whole industry goes belly up.
I haven't read any comic books  for about fifty years, but I was a huge Marvel Comics fan as a teen back in the sixties. I don't believe I would have been able to handle the comics owners changing the characters to homosexuals or different races or sexes.
It's not that males wouldn't buy superhero comics. I'll bet most of the people who bought Wonder Woman comics were males. I never bought any WW comics, but I'd read them if a friend owned them. And if there had been a black superhero, I would have read him as well. My biggest sports hero at the time was Hank Aaron.
 But to have the characters you've come to love or like changed into something completely different on the whims of some liberal SJW is something I wouldn't have tolerated.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »
I haven't read any comic books  for about fifty years, but I was a huge Marvel Comics fan as a teen back in the sixties. I don't believe I would have been able to handle the comics owners changing the characters to homosexuals or different races or sexes.
It's not that males wouldn't buy superhero comics. I'll bet most of the people who bought Wonder Woman comics were males. I never bought any WW comics, but I'd read them if a friend owned them. And if there had been a black superhero, I would have read him as well. My biggest sports hero at the time was Hank Aaron.
 But to have the characters you've come to love or like changed into something completely different on the whims of some liberal SJW is something I wouldn't have tolerated.
I read a lot of Sgt. Rock, THe Haunted tank, and the like. Some Marvel comics, usually when someone else had them...

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 05:52:12 pm »

I think Olympic Women's Hockey is a bit interesting. I'm not sure why.