Author Topic: Marine Corps rolls out biggest fitness standard overhaul in 40 years  (Read 1646 times)

rangerrebew

Marine Corps rolls out biggest fitness standard overhaul in 40 years
by Hope Hodge Seck, Military.com - Jul 1, 2016 3:32:38 pm US Marine Corps

The Marine Corps is solving the problem of requiring pull-ups for women by adding a push-ups option for all troops on the physical fitness test, Military.com has learned.

On Friday, the Corps rolled out a series of sweeping changes to the PFT, combat fitness test, and body fat standards — the result of a review of existing policies that began last November. The new fitness standards go into effect Jan. 1, 2017, officials said, and the body composition standards take effect immediately.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/marine-corps-rolls-out-biggest-fitness-standard-overhaul-in-40-years

READ MORE
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:07:22 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Marine Corps rolls out biggest fitness standard overhaul in 40 years
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:09:40 am »
I can think of only one reason they are changing, the number of women who are failing the physical fitness test.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 10:25:55 pm »
Push-ups - great.  We're the f*cking Army now.  Commandant should have resigned rather than lowering standards for all to account for gender politics.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:46:25 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:27:55 pm »
wow....

this is truly messed up

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 10:52:19 pm »
I can think of only one reason they are changing, the number of women who are failing the physical fitness test.

Oh hell, you don't even have to imagine why - they said it right in the article:

and in 2014, Marine officials admitted that half of women tested in boot camp couldn’t meet the three-pull-up minimum

And given that the SecNav has ordered that the tests be the same....the men can't be required to do it either.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:53:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

geronl

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:51 am »
US Marines..... someday will become similar to the Coast Guard Reserves

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:32:27 am »

Will this include those who self-identify as women?
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:28 pm »
The body fat standard elimination for PT studs is a great change. I knew plenty of guys in the army who were buff, but body fat measurements always skew horribly when you have a muscular neck.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 06:30:03 pm »

Now we gets us some wimmin!!!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 12:45:26 am »
The body fat standard elimination for PT studs is a great change. I knew plenty of guys in the army who were buff, but body fat measurements always skew horribly when you have a muscular neck.

I have no issue with the other changes.  But changing the pull-up requirement for men because women couldn't meet it is the canary in the coal mine.  Any hope that infantry standards would not be lowered so that women can meet them just vanished.

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »
I have no issue with the other changes.  But changing the pull-up requirement for men because women couldn't meet it is the canary in the coal mine.  Any hope that infantry standards would not be lowered so that women can meet them just vanished.

Didn't, at one time, the Marines say they would not change the physical standards for women to get in the infantry?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »
Didn't, at one time, the Marines say they would not change the physical standards for women to get in the infantry?

Yes, yes they did.

Now, those standards have not yet been changed.  The problem is that the SecNav has ordered gender integration of boot camp and the adoption of uniform tests, which means that either you disqualify large number of women from being Marines period, or you change the standards for males and females.  They took the latter course.

My guess is that most training personnel will themselves resist pressure to make things easier.  But over time, they'll be replaced by those who are more compliant.

Maybe I should give the Commandant the benefit of the doubt that he will not do that, but after he dropped the pull-up requirement for men, I have zero faith in him.