Author Topic: Study: Methane in Colorado water isn't always from oil wells  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Study: Methane in Colorado water isn't always from oil wells

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2016/07/study-methane-in-colorado-water-isn-t-always-from-oil-wells.html?eid=290980193&bid=1460733

July 12, 2016

Dan Elliott, Associated Press
DENVER (AP) — The oil and gas industry may not be to blame if northeastern Colorado tap water is so full of methane it can be set on fire, researchers say.

Fewer than 5 percent of the region's water wells that were checked for methane pollution had been tainted by oil and gas leaks, according to a study released Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

About 18 percent had methane that came from coal seams that underlie the area, the researchers said.

The other wells either had methane that couldn't be definitively traced or had no detectable methane at all.

Dramatic videos of residents igniting water running from a faucet occasionally surface in communities near oil and gas wells, including in Colorado, and the images are sometimes cited as evidence of the danger posed by energy development, including fracking.

"I think it's important for people to realize that being able to light your tap water on fire in many cases is a natural occurrence," said Owen Sherwood, lead author of the study and a research associate at the University of Colorado.

"However, accidents do happen, leaks do happen,...
Excerpt: more at
http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2016/07/study-methane-in-colorado-water-isn-t-always-from-oil-wells.html?eid=290980193&bid=1460733
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: Study: Methane in Colorado water isn't always from oil wells
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:16:20 pm »
Headline is misleading. The vast majority of methane in groundwater noted was from coal seams. Eleven instances of specific well contamination (traced to a contaminating well) were noted, in much older wells, none of which had been hydraulically fractured.
This study was confined to the DJ Basin.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:17:09 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:38 pm »
Headline is misleading.

I'm shocked this would happen!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »

C S Lewis