Author Topic: Fox News Suspends Agreement With Newt Gingrich, Further Stoking VP Buzz  (Read 2101 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I wonder if some lawyers are getting their client's ducks in a row before any official announcement (closing out contracts, potential conflicts of interest, etc)- ie, not actually based on speculation but lawyers closing out some business and getting paperwork in order.

The Fox News Channel has suspended Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich as a contributor, CNN’s Brian Stelter reported Tuesday afternoon.

“Fox News Channel has mutually agreed to suspend its contributor agreement with Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich effective immediately,” executive vice president for news Jay Wallace said in a statement to CNN. “Due to the intense media speculation about Gingrich’s potential selection as Donald Trump’s vice presidential candidate, we felt it best to halt his contributor role on the network to avoid all conflicts of interest that may arise.”....

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/07/12/fox-news-suspends-agreement-with-newt-gingrich-further-stoking-vp-buzz/

Offline Fantom

Probably trumps best choice. Newt is a heavyweight in conservative circles, and Newt has nothing to lose on a trump gamble.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline ABX

Probably trumps best choice. Newt is a heavyweight in conservative circles, and Newt has nothing to lose on a trump gamble.

Newt may be the only one who can calm down the Conservative rebellion against him, and that's iffy.

Offline kevindavis007

Newt was.. His time in the sun is over.. 20 years ago yes, but in theory we should go with new people.. Not old farts like Newt.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline kevindavis007

Newt may be the only one who can calm down the Conservative rebellion against him, and that's iffy.

I'm still not voting for Trump..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline r9etb

At the cost of repelling pretty much everybody else.   IMO, Newt Gingrich is electoral poison: one of those guys who would make a Trump candidacy even worse than it already is.

Offline Fantom

Newt was.. His time in the sun is over.. 20 years ago yes, but in theory we should go with new people.. Not old farts like Newt.

Problem is no real new talent with a future will risk all on a trump gambit. Which leaves a has been. And there are few of those with Newts creds. Heck, Newt actually was my man last cycle. Best of what was there.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline montanajoe

I like Newt, but not enough to vote for Trump,  that said I'm sure the late night talk show writers must be ecstatic at the prospect...as they say the jokes will write themselves... :laugh:

Offline ABX

I'm still not voting for Trump..

Neither am I. I was just thinking in terms of a strategic move. Name recognition, mostly conservative cred (albeit, I plan to pull out the old Newt/Pelosi on a couch imagery), good speaker, and knows the ropes.

Offline kevindavis007

I like Newt, but not enough to vote for Trump,  that said I'm sure the late night talk show writers must be ecstatic at the prospect...as they say the jokes will write themselves... :laugh:

They both have 6 wives together..

Offline ABX

A funny flashback.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:05:54 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

So far.

Offline Fantom

Ah, Mormons.

Frederick Douglass

Offline roamer_1

Newt is a heavyweight in conservative circles

No, Newt WAS a conservative heavyweight. No longer.

geronl

Newt is a has-been

Offline montanajoe

Their new motto:  Scare 'em with your harem.

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Offline kevindavis007

geronl

If it ain't Newt then FNC has just participated in a partisan campaign publicity stunt.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
Trump probably couldn't find anyone who was married four times, to make himself look better, but with Gingrich's three to tie, maybe that will be good enough.

Also Mike Pence is a LOT better looking than Trump, plus he's younger, height/weight proportionate, muscular, and has had only one wife.

Mike Pence!

Whoops! That's a different Mike Pence.

Anyway, with Gingrich, there's no type of battle regarding looks. Two old pasty overweight white guys. Maybe Trump could introduce Newt to his bottle of spray tan. That would be hilarious to see them both dashed out in orange.

America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline ABX

If it ain't Newt then FNC has just participated in a partisan campaign publicity stunt.

They could also be trying to lay their bets with a scoop of the other networks. If it is Newt, they can say they called it first.

Offline bilo

At the cost of repelling pretty much everybody else.   IMO, Newt Gingrich is electoral poison: one of those guys who would make a Trump candidacy even worse than it already is.

How so?

Newt may be older, but he understands the issues. He is articulate. He is willing to be confrontational. He was speaker when the Pubs actually did most of what they promised to do.

I won't vote for Trump, but Newt doesn't seem so bad.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Problem is no real new talent with a future will risk all on a trump gambit. Which leaves a has been. And there are few of those with Newts creds. Heck, Newt actually was my man last cycle. Best of what was there.

Great points.

Anyone who thinks they may want to run for POTUS in the future isn't going to go with Trump this time.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline ABX

Interesting, I happened to drop by FR and many of the most pro-Trump people there would hate Newt and some say they couldn't support him if he chooses Newt. Outside a sudden purge of pro-Trump people who don't like Newt, I wonder if we'll have another split in the party over it. So we now are split in thirds.

geronl

Newt may be older, but he understands the issues. He is articulate. He is willing to be confrontational. He was speaker when the Pubs actually did most of what they promised to do.

I won't vote for Trump, but Newt doesn't seem so bad.

Newt has been flip-flopping on his "core beliefs" to be more in line with Trump. This tells me he is a complete sell-out.

geronl

Interesting, I happened to drop by FR and many of the most pro-Trump people there would hate Newt and some say they couldn't support him if he chooses Newt. Outside a sudden purge of pro-Trump people who don't like Newt, I wonder if we'll have another split in the party over it. So we now are split in thirds.

More likely they will fall into line and keep marching once the announcement is made, even if it's a Clinton as veep.