General Category > Space

Astronauts are returning from space with mysterious eye problems

(1/4) > >>

mystery-ak:
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-to-your-eyes-in-space-2016-7

Astronauts are returning from space with mysterious eye problems
ScienceAlert

Fiona MacDonald, ScienceAlert

Space does plenty of whacky things to astronauts' bodies, like deteriorating their muscle mass and making them on average 5 centimeters (2 inches) taller.

But scientists have uncovered another, more subtle side effect — space is totally ruining astronauts' perfect eyesight.

In fact, 80 percent of astronauts who come back from long-duration missions display symptoms of a mysterious eye condition that causes nearsightedness, Shayla Love reports for The Washington Post.

While it's a myth that all astronauts have to have natural 20/20 vision (they're allowed to have corrective laser surgery) by the time they launch, their vision does need to be flawless — so this problem could be a big issue for future human spaceflight missions, like the one hoping to get humans to Mars by the 2030s.

more

kevindavis007:
Two words Artificial Gravity.

geronl:
You are probably correct that micro-gravity is a prime suspect, but I wonder if the radiation might contribute as well.

kevindavis007:

--- Quote from: geronl on July 12, 2016, 11:37:41 pm ---You are probably correct that micro-gravity is a prime suspect, but I wonder if the radiation might contribute as well.

--- End quote ---

I follow Robert Zubrin, he says the radiation threat is kinda overblown.. However, I think by the time we are ready to go to Mars, we will have those problems resolved..

Cripplecreek:

--- Quote from: kevindavis on July 12, 2016, 11:31:01 pm ---Two words Artificial Gravity.

--- End quote ---

Yup a simple spin would do a long way toward alleviating the gravity problem. Constant thrust would be better but is a ways off.
(One of the things I like about The Expanse series is the creation of artificial gravity with thrust)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version