Author Topic: The End Of A Republican Party  (Read 1332 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: The End Of A Republican Party
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 09:52:47 pm »
You know−the Constitution−there's nothing like it. But it doesn't necessarily give us the right to commit suicide,
as a country, OK?
---Donaldus Minimus. (Hands up to everyone who thinks, appropriately, that that could have
come from the mouth of Hilarious Rodent Clinton herself.)

Time was when the Republican Party would have drummed out of the ranks anyone who even thought like that,
never mind enunciated such a thought, as a Democratic plant.

That was then: The parties sold us snake oil. This is 2016: The parties are selling the snakes.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 09:58:31 pm »
Pathetic excuse of a convention.  The GOP is dead!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Silver Pines

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:30 pm »
This.

We're in a dangerous new world with this election.  In essence, we have an insane party and a corrupt party now.

It really is a kind of insanity, you know.

When I see people who formerly understood exactly what Trump is, now crowing and laughing at the vote being shouted down...what else is there to assume?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 11:20:32 pm »
Minority populations in the US have a positive birth rate.  Whites have a negative birth rate. 

The only reason Aemrica maintains a positive birth rate overall is due to immigration and minorities.

So each year the demographics worsen on both ends for the GOP.  Furthermore, the current GOP base has been pushing out those that would be a natural fit in  our party.  Hispanics, Muslims, and Asians in particular would naturally gravitate to the GOP due to its policies, if the current crowd would stop screaming about how immigrants are the source of all evil.  (that was hyperbole)

But now... I'd have to agree with the article and say the damage Herr Drumpf has caused is now irreversible. 

Much like the self-inflicted damage with the black and Jewish votes.

Minority communities are not always on the growth:

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2012/us-population-growth-decline.aspx

Graph is showing the drop in ethnic groups.

Your argument is incorrect.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:25:55 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 11:22:27 pm »
Nigel Farage, UKIP, will be at the convention.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 11:24:56 pm »
Let alone, for this far flung op;

Let's see, Republicans once again, I guess it has to be mentioned control more governorships and more legislatures than the Democrats. State level, the Republicans are doing well.

Do we really need to go through this again? The mid-term elections, a US Senate and House controlled by the Republicans, pretty good for a party that is dying.

We can look up the stats, they control more governors and more state legislatures, my gosh, we really have to repeat this?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 11:27:38 pm »
The End Of A Republican Party
Racial and cultural resentment have replaced the party’s small government ethos.

By Clare Malone

.Maybe this jackwagon can tell us why Republicans still control more Governorships, more state legislatures than Democrats and control both the US House and Senate.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 11:30:37 pm »
Do we really need to go through this again? The mid-term elections, a US Senate and House controlled by the Republicans, pretty good for a party that is dying.

And they handed Obama his dictatorship and circumvented the Constitution by surrendering their specific powers to the Executive.

The next Midterms are going to be a real eye opener as it will make what happened in 2006 look tame in comparison.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 11:34:00 pm »
.Maybe this jackwagon can tell us why Republicans still control more Governorships, more state legislatures than Democrats and control both the US House and Senate.

Talking about the national party under the "leadership" of Donald J. Trump.

There is still some decency and some conservative ideals at the state level.

If the Republican party survives the vile, corrupt Donald Trump, it will have to be from the bottom up.

Because right now, the top is filthy.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 11:39:14 pm »
Let's see, Republicans once again, I guess it has to be mentioned control more governorships and more legislatures than the Democrats. State level, the Republicans are doing well.

I suspect the immediate concern is that the top of the national GOP ticket could have a negative effect on
the downticket national races and on enough state races. It's not an unreasonable concern. Marry that
to the contradictory views of what the current GOP Congress did or didn't do, and it's not unreasonable
to suggest the party was in big enough trouble before a perceived wrecker was brought in (by how
many actual Republicans, who knows, since we don't really know just how many actual Republicans did
vote in the primaries overall thanks to the open primaries, pending release of anything resembling a solid
accounting) to shore up and renew the structure.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 11:42:46 pm »
His argument is absolutely correct. From the chart you posted:

Population growth for Latinos averaged 3.6 percent per year during the previous decade, but fell to just 2.5 percent between 2010 and 2011 (see Figure 1). There was a similar drop for Asian Americans during the same period, from 3.6 percent to 2.2 percent.4 Although the rate of change fell for both groups, the number of Asians and Latinos is still increasing. And both groups are still growing faster than African Americans (1 percent) and non-Hispanic whites (0.1 percent).

Even though the growth rate has slowed from the peak, latinos are the fastest growing group and by large margins when compared to whites.

And from PEW research we read about the Hispanic population in the US:

It is projected to grow to 129 million by 2060, according to the latest projections from the U.S. Census Bureau (2012). Its share of the U.S. population, currently at 17%, is expected to reach 31% by 2060.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2014/04/29/hispanic-nativity-shift/

This growth is mostly due to the higher birthrate for Hispanics already living in the US. It's fairly steady, right above zero but mostly positive still.
You are changing the original wording for your argument.

All I said was this:

Are Democrats the party of the black aging population? Of Hispanics? What does the Republican party do? More public assistance? Endorse abortions?

So please don't claim I am saying anything else, I merely said "black aging population" and as far as I'm concerned that stands.

Likewise, HJ's statement the white population is declining per the graph seems in error as well.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:49:42 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:10 pm »

I didn't change a word. I just clicked the quote button to show your entire quote, which was referencing the growth rate of minorities.
Here is your entire quote again:

My take was you were trying to downplay the importance minorities play in politics for the Republican party. I disagreed with your assessment and I posted from PEW research and the Census office this data:

the Hispanic population in the US:

It is projected to grow to 129 million by 2060, according to the latest projections from the U.S. Census Bureau (2012). Its share of the U.S. population, currently at 17%, is expected to reach 31% by 2060.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2014/04/29/hispanic-nativity-shift/
to back up my post.

If I misunderstood what you posted and misrepresented what you were implying I do apologize to you.

But the flip side of this is the whole USA could go the way of California. How does one appeal to Hispanics? More immigration? Etc. on all other issues. It is a tricky situation.

HonestJohn

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:34 pm »
Minority communities are not always on the growth:

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2012/us-population-growth-decline.aspx

Graph is showing the drop in ethnic groups.

Your argument is incorrect.

:facepalm2:

Did you even look at your chart?

The rate of growth is decreasing, but *it's still growth*!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:53 am »
:facepalm2:

Did you even look at your chart?

The rate of growth is decreasing, but *it's still growth*!

If the birth rate is going down, then the aging population would grow.

True or false?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/05/us/us-sees-decline-in-births-for-sixth-year.html?_r=0
US Birthrates See Decline For Sixth Year

Offline TomSea

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 12:15:56 am »
Also from a year after his chart:

‘First time' in history: White deaths outnumber births in US

https://www.rt.com/usa/us-white-births-census-613/

Deaths of white people outnumbered births for the very first time in US history, the Census Bureau revealed Thursday. The census predicts that significant drops in birth rates v death rates will be regular by 2025

The new 2012 annual census calculated births minus deaths as of July 2012 and saw a decrease of about 12,400 people out of 198 million non-Hispanic whites in the country.
Such a natural decrease within the white population is the first of its kind and was not even observed in the US during wars or Depression, the Washington Post reported.

Non-Hispanic whites in the US are older than other groups, with a median age of 42. In comparison, the median age for Asians is 34, for African Americans, it is under 32, and for Hispanics it is under 28.

“We’re jumping the gun on a long, slow decline of our white population, which is going to characterize this century,” demographer with the Brookings Institution William Frey, who analyzed the census data, told the Washington Post.

And even if all this is so. Where does it come in in talking about the original subject.  The Republican party? Democrat Lite?

What does one propose? Amnesty for illegals? More government programs? What are people saying is the answer.

Yes, demographic changes are happening but it may not be across the board.  And there may be other reasons for the demographic changes then just birthrate.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:20:19 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 12:24:42 am »
The economy has hurt growth in families per some experts:

The general fertility rate also declined by about 1 percent in 2013 to 62.5 births per 1,000 women ages 15 to 44, reaching another record low for the United States, the report noted.

But experts say that births are likely to pick up as the economy continues to improve.

"By 2016 and 2017, I think we'll start seeing a real comeback," said Dr. Aaron Caughey, chair of obstetrics and gynecology for Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. "While the economy is doing better, you're still going to see a lag effect of about a year, and 2014 is the first year our economy really started to feel like it's getting back to normal."

Another sign that the post-recession economy is affecting family planning -- the average age of first motherhood continued to increase, rising to age 26 in 2013, compared with 25.8 the year before.

"You had people right out of college having a much harder time getting a first job, and so you're going to see a lot more delay among those people with their first child," Caughey said.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2015/01/15/us-birth-rate-continues-decline-cdc-reports

Offline TomSea

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 12:37:58 am »
In fact if one looks up definitions of ageing population growing,  by life expectancy, the ageing population is growing. I'd think it would be growing for blacks too.

The number of people aged 60 years and over has tripled since 1950, reaching 600 million in 2000 and surpassing 700 million in 2006.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_ageing
Population ageing is a phenomenon that occurs when the median age of a country or region increases due to rising life expectancy and/or declining fertility rates. There has been, initially in the more economically developed countries (MEDC) but also more recently in less economically developed countries (LEDC), an increase in life expectancy which causes the ageing of populations. This is the case for every country in the world except the 18 countries designated as "demographic outliers" by the UN.[1][2] The aged population is currently at its highest level in human history.

So, unless one can demonstrate the life expectancy of blacks is going down, I don't see what the harm is of saying that one can say the Democratic Party is the party of the ageing black population.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 01:06:22 am »
We are being whigged out of existence by an entitlement class that prefers to suck on the left hind teat of the government.
We have two entitlement classes, only one wears slick suits and tells us what it is going to do for us, at least until the votes are counted. The other one gets free phones, too, but the ringtones are different.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:14 am »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 01:13:41 am »
If it ended, look for the first 8 years of the 2000s. I'm sorry, I liked Bush but he tried to push amnesty, all of these people were calling congress not to push amnesty, he could have done much more for pro-lifers and the media was not on his side on the Iraq war.  Worse yet, he could defend the US's actions but no, that's not presidential; so he leaves his supporters hanging in the air.

If one wants to see what harmed the Republican Party, as long as people are throwing stones, I'd look at the Bushs; oh no, but Trump is the arch-villain.
Bush was not my first choice that year, either. That was bad enough and set up Obama, especially with the candidates proffered afterwards, but Trump? Comparatively, I view Trump as an electoral temper tantrum. Just when the GOP needed to return to the Constitution and the core platform values, we get someone who people want to walk all over those. Trump will do this, Trump will do that, nonsense! Not if he is Constitutionally constrained in the office of President of the United States of America. Talking like he's some banana republic dictator writ Yuuuge isn't saving the Republic, or the Republican Party, but it may well bury both.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 01:15:57 am »
It is an establishment coronation, not a convention.
But...but... 'he's an outsider!'  :thud:

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 01:39:22 am »
But...but... 'he's an outsider!'  :thud:

After tonight's debacle, on top of what was done by Boehner over rule 12 in 2012 - it should be perfectly clear to anyone who has an ounce of integrity and honesty that Trump and the Establishment GOP are one and the same, now having consolidated all power and removed from the grassroots and the state delegations any ability to make new rules, proposed rules or amended rules within the GOP.

Trump, Manafort and the Establishment have now rested that power soley in the RNC Chair.

The Republican Party in itself is now officially demonstrated it is an oligarchy courtesy of Trump.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775