Author Topic: F-35's Vulnerabilities to Cyberattacks Provide Cautionary Tale  (Read 575 times)

rangerrebew

F-35's Vulnerabilities to Cyberattacks Provide Cautionary Tale
By Vivienne Machi

When it comes to protecting new weapon systems from cyberattacks, the Air Force can learn from the mistakes it made on the F-35A program, the senior service official in charge of network operations said July 7.

"For newer weapons systems, there is a tremendous effort to ensure that key parameters in the cybersecurity realm are being met," Chief Information Officer Lt. Gen. William Bender said during a breakfast meeting with reporters in Washington, D.C.

The cyber warfare threat is real, he added. The F-35 Lightning II development provides a cautionary tale for the B-21 and other programs in development, he said.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=2244

READ MORE
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:50:04 am by rangerrebew »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: F-35's Vulnerabilities to Cyberattacks Provide Cautionary Tale
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:40:27 am »
"About 80 percent of our threat vector is self-induced," Bender said. "It's just bad behavior, on how you click on links and use thumb drives, all of the things we know not to do."

I knew a fellow who had left the USAF to work in the oilfield doing MWD (Measurement While Drilling, providing real-time data from a survey tool near the drill bit), work on horizontal wells. He had done basic computer security audits, and found the two biggest problems were Passwords either written on a surface under the keyboard or taped to the underside, and the password "password". 

No system can be created which cannot be messed up from the inside, even if the problems are not malicious.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:53:15 am »
I knew a fellow who had left the USAF to work in the oilfield doing MWD (Measurement While Drilling, providing real-time data from a survey tool near the drill bit), work on horizontal wells. He had done basic computer security audits, and found the two biggest problems were Passwords either written on a surface under the keyboard or taped to the underside, and the password "password". 

No system can be created which cannot be messed up from the inside, even if the problems are not malicious.

The amount of people on the net that have admin / password is crazy.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »
In the 60s it was plastics; in the 2010s it's cyber security.  Pace Mr. Robinson!

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:12:34 pm »
In the 60s it was plastics; in the 2010s it's cyber security.  Pace Mr. Robinson!

I fear in the 2020s it may be chains of slavery.  Of course, I'll be pushing up daises or so senile it won't matter to me but it will to my kids.