Author Topic: Former Boxer Knocks down Black Bear in Self Defense  (Read 711 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Former Boxer Knocks down Black Bear in Self Defense
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:29:54 pm »
Excerpted:

Former Boxer Knocks down Black Bear in Self Defense
Nelson said he was originally aiming for the bear’s snout. Surprisingly, he managed to knock the large animal down with a punch to the teeth instead. Bears are a lot more resilient than your average boxer, however, and the animal came straight back up for a second round. This time Nelson caught the bear with uppercut right on the nose. It was a perfect shot that sent the animal reeling.

Suddenly, the bear decided it was no longer in the mood to fight and ran off with its cub. Nelson wrote off the victory as luck, although he did suffer a few scratches and bruises from the encounter. Thankfully, most of his injuries were light and superficial—but not something you would see in a boxing ring.

Nelson added that he held no grudge against the bear and that it was just doing what came to it naturally. Black bear attacks are rare, but chances of getting on the wrong side of one increase when cubs are involved.

“Black bears really aren’t dangerous unless you have a cub involved. So sometimes black bears get a really bad rap. Probably they’re more afraid of you and me, than we are of them,” he later told the CBC.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/07/07/former-boxer-knocks-black-bear-self-defense/

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Former Boxer Knocks down Black Bear in Self Defense
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »
My weapon of choice if the very unlikely event of a black bear attack ever happens is a 3-iron. Each fall we vacation in B.C. and run into black bears all the time on the golf course in Whistler.   This is my photo.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »
The article reads at the end, that if one has a dog with them, this may raise the risk of attack.

This story could go in ridiculous news but one may actually have to face something like this some time. I guess we have the boxer's word mainly; but it sounds credible. He has some scratches it sounds like.  So, maybe there is proof.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:50:18 pm »
My weapon of choice if the very unlikely event of a black bear attack ever happens is a 3-iron. Each fall we vacation in B.C. and run into black bears all the time on the golf course in Whistler.   This is my photo.

Great photo!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:09:59 pm »
Do notice the radio collar. Several blackies are normal residence on that golf course. Never heard of anyone getting attacked by one in the many years we have been going up there.   Whish I had a camera in Hawaii this year though. A fully grown Scalloped  Hammerhead was within 20 feet of me while snorkeling. That is a very very rare sight where we were at off Maui's Black rock. You are unlikely to ever see a far more common black tip reef shark. To run into a hammerhead was like striking gold. Bragging rights over my wife's encounter with a barracuda several years earlier. Lucky her, though she did have a camera.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »
Of all things, the London Daily Mail came out with this article on a man fighting wrestling a bear in Russia.  The man here does not seem to be too concerned; the bear does not appear to be overly vicious either.

A Kamchatka Brown Bear? The article says they rarely attack.

It's like playing with a pet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3678586/Now-s-bear-hug-Bizarre-footage-shows-Russian-man-grappling-huge-animal-wrestling-contest.html

The video is a riot!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:22:47 pm by TomSea »