Author Topic: We Must End Needless Interactions With Police Officers During Traffic Stops: A broken taillight does not require armed agents of the state to approach a motorist’s window.  (Read 2320 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
TBH, being stopped for "driving while black" seems to be a universal.

My son in law works nights - he's a maint. engineer over at the Canary Wharf complex. His shift starts at 20:00 and finishes at 05:00.  He's black. He gets stopped on his way home from work roughly 3 times a week, that's on a 5 mile drive. When he loads up my daughter and the grandkids to go to Dorset for the weekend (as happens most summer weekends, they have a caravan down there), he'll be stopped at least once. If my daughter drives, they never get stopped.

I keep telling him to sell his damned BMW and buy a nondescript, but nope - he'd rather keep his car and the hassle.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Mechanicos

All these posts and no one commented on the fact the premise of the article was knowingly false.  The Police Dispatch record from before the shooting with audio tape proves he was pulled over not for a tali-light out in daytime but a felony stop of a suspected armed robber. And, the media source knew or should have known that fact before publishing this article.

But the liberal narrative of driving while black sailed right on thru.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline jedidah

A broken tail light, especially in the daytime, is just an excuse. They had obviously run the plates before stopping him (the see if he had any warrants).

If I understand correctly, the only source for the broken tail light story is the stoned girlfriend.  The first part of the cop encounter wasn't on her video.  We simply don't know what was said when the car was pulled over, but the police audio doesn't agree with her story.

How can anyone calmly video and narrate the dying moments of someone next to them without even trying to help??!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
All these posts and no one commented on the fact the premise of the article was knowingly false.  The Police Dispatch record from before the shooting with audio tape proves he was pulled over not for a tali-light out in daytime but a felony stop of a suspected armed robber. And, the media source knew or should have known that fact before publishing this article.

Do you have an actual link citing this is what happened? Yesterday there were several not so credible websites claiming this is what could have happened, but I haven't seen any actual legitimate claim this is what happened.

Offline Mechanicos

Do you have an actual link citing this is what happened? Yesterday there were several not so credible websites claiming this is what could have happened, but I haven't seen any actual legitimate claim this is what happened.
One of those posts links to a police site with an audio recording. Blue Shield or something. Another Poster put it up.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline ABX

One of those posts links to a police site with an audio recording. Blue Shield or something. Another Poster put it up.

Thanks, I found it.
http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

That still doesn't answer if it is a justifiable shooting, just says why the officer may be nervous.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:32:48 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

UPDATE.
The audio provided in the previous report I linked to was provided by a viewer to the station. However, the license plate didn't match the Castile's car. It seems like someone provided audio for a different traffic stop or possible shenanigans going on.

http://www.snopes.com/philando-castile-was-not-wanted-for-armed-robbery/

Offline jedidah

I thought you were concerned about "not so credible websites."   :shrug:

However, Snopes says the plate number DID match.

Also from the Snopes report: 

WHAT'S TRUE: Police who pulled over and killed Philando Castile reported they thought he might have resembled a suspect in an armed robbery case.

Snopes says that Castile had not been named as a suspect.  That is true.  Police had descriptions, but not names, for the suspects in the robberies.  Assuming the scanner audio is authentic, the cop used the security camera shots and descriptions as reason to pull the car over.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:43:42 pm by jedidah »

Offline ABX

I thought you were concerned about "not so credible websites."   :shrug:

However, Snopes says the plate number DID match.

Also from the Snopes report: 

WHAT'S TRUE: Police who pulled over and killed Philando Castile reported they thought he might have resembled a suspect in an armed robbery case.

Snopes says that Castile had not been named as a suspect.  That is true.  Police had descriptions, but not names, for the suspects in the robberies.  Assuming the scanner audio is authentic, the cop used the security camera shots and descriptions as reason to pull the car over.

totally my bad. I misread that story as not matching. I need more coffee.

Offline jedidah

totally my bad. I misread that story as not matching. I need more coffee.

Me, too.  And sleep!  Been staying up way too late this week.

Offline jedidah

It does show once again that the ConservativeTreehouse is a hideous and untrustworthy source.   That was not my source.  It may have been a source of my source.  I don't know.

We need to stop convicting people by mob rumor.  That includes the officers.

Amen.

We all need to be careful about believing much of anything we read on the internet, even from seemingly legit sites.  I'll read just about anything, including flaky sites -- but I also take it all with a grain of salt and make sure to follow links and seek other sources to verify.  Even then, there's almost always more to the story.  Everybody has an agenda.

The whole MN story hasn't been told yet, and those cops shouldn't be stoned until all the facts are out.  The infamous and bizarre video shows only the last part of the encounter, and we have only the girlfriend's account of what happened.

Offline Mechanicos

Thanks, I found it.
http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

That still doesn't answer if it is a justifiable shooting, just says why the officer may be nervous.
I do not know if its a justifiable shooting, likely its not. However the MSM has created a false narrative just like they did with Zimmerman and Brown by selecting what to show the public, etc. My issue was with the dishonest reporting to flame a race war.

There is a squad car video of it, but they will not release it. Only thing we know for sure is the lying media want blood and violence.

Offline DB

Yeah, I've two nonsensical stops on the highway by county deputies myself.  The first was by an older sergeant who just pulled me over and gave me a ticket for doing 63 in a 55, even though he did not have his radar out.  I asked him how he arrived at that number, and he just shrugged and said that he estimated it.  I went to court and beat that corrupt $90 ticket with my $100 traffic lawyer.

The second time, I was pulled over by an obvious rookie, fresh out of the academy and obviously prior military, based on how he looked and presented himself.  In that case, he pulled out in front of me on a 4-lane highway after completing another traffic stop, and then proceeded to play the old game of speed-up/slow down, in an attempt to get me to tailgate him.  Finally, as he slowed down, I gave my signal, pulled into the left lane, and gently glided past him as his speed decreased.  After I cleared his vehicle, he zoomed in behind me and hit his lights.  During the ensuing traffic stop, he gave me a ticket for an "unsafe lane change," which was horse hockey and clearly engineered by the officer.    I beat that ticket in court too, but it again cost more money than if I had just paid the ticket.

In both instances, the deputies approached me guardedly with their hands on the weapons, ready to draw down if I made any sudden moves, even though I was in dress clothes on my way to work.  Everybody I know has similar stories about their own encounters with the cops.  And stuff like this is what has eroded the public's trust in Law Enforcement in general.  I know that after my own personal experiences, I don't have any respect for them at all.

California (at least along the 101) must be different. Over the 38 years I've been driving I earned all the tickets I got... I've never been pulled over for a warning or anything other than excessive speed. And in general on the freeways here very few drive the speed limit. Typical speed is between 70 to 80 with the limit set to 65. So in short, at least in my experience, you have to work at it to get pulled over.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Proving once again that virtually everything reported in the first 24 hours can not only be wrong, but spectacularly wrong to the point of provoking a violent backlash. 

None of this happens by accident.

:smokin:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I ended up starting an absolute inferno on my FB page yesterday by simply posting the Daily Mail Article about all of the traffic stops and criminal history of the victim. My military friends that quietly support BLM came out of the woodwork to try and have a go at me for simply posting more facts of the case. It was rather sad.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I ended up starting an absolute inferno on my FB page yesterday by simply posting the Daily Mail Article about all of the traffic stops and criminal history of the victim. My military friends that quietly support BLM came out of the woodwork to try and have a go at me for simply posting more facts of the case. It was rather sad.
Unfortunately, that is an affliction of identity politics. Who the person is means more to people than what they have done. Facts suffer and emotions prevail, at least in the minds of some.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mirraflake

Privatise the roads and highways and let the private company handle licensing, permitting, taxing and enforcing of drivers and vehicles.

We had a bridge go over  a  river in my area.  For some reason the local poli's sold it to a private concern. The company later went bankrupt after they pocketed tens of millions  in toll fees, never kept up with bridge maintenace all those years now it is deemed unsafe to go over and was shut down.

Now it's going to cost millions to take it down at taxpayer expense as the owner is saying he is broke even though he owns 5-6 homes and it has been in court now for at least 10 years.

I don't want private companies to take over my roads or prisons.

@goatprairie

@geronl

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:33:42 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Unfortunately, that is an affliction of identity politics. Who the person is means more to people than what they have done. Facts suffer and emotions prevail, at least in the minds of some.

The Democrats have played the identity politics game for decades.  Its how they have incrementally passed a progressively progressive Congressional agenda while successfully demonizing any Conservative that dared raise their head.  It has never been about the veracity of the evidence, but the seriousness of the charges flung at the target that count.  That's in part how we got to where we are today.

We have been conditioned to tolerate far too much.

Offline Smokin Joe

>snip<
We have been conditioned to tolerate far too much.

Bottom line said it all. The founders would have tarred and feathered  the government agent who told them what they could have in their lantern, their privy, and claimed dominion over their children, just for starters.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently. Robert Evans. (2002).

My father was a homicide detective and he told me when you arrived on a scene you could have twenty different witnesses tell you twenty different stories and all of them could, technically, be telling you the truth of what they saw.  Dad said it wasn't just that they saw things from different viewing angles, it was that what they saw was filtered by their own life experiences. My father was a very wise men.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Smokin Joe

My father was a homicide detective and he told me when you arrived on a scene you could have twenty different witnesses tell you twenty different stories and all of them could, technically, be telling you the truth of what they saw.  Dad said it wasn't just that they saw things from different viewing angles, it was that what they saw was filtered by their own life experiences. My father was a very wise men.
He was indeed. Everything I have seen would indicate that he is correct.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

My Daddy said; "Son, don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see."  And he didn't even know about the internet!