Author Topic: Newt Gingrich on police shootings: Sometimes whites don’t fully appreciate that it’s more dangerous to be black in America  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Its not an us verses them or shouldn't be.  We need a uniter to make us all Americans again.  Pointing fingers and fussing amongst ourselves only serves to make America weaker.  Bringing us all together will make us stronger to fight the real enemies trying to destroy us.  if Newts words can bring us together via compromise, I am all for it.  I see wrongs on both sides, so use this to put it behind us and unite.  That is the last thing the Dems want as a divided country keeps them in power.

Bless you, sir.  The civic-minded American should think as you do. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Blaming whites for unprovoked black violence is "leadership"... lol

Newt wasn't "blaming whites".   We all don't appreciate how dangerous it is to be black in America.  Street crime, gun crime, gang crime, you name it - it all disproportionately affects African-Americans.  And the black middle class was decimated by the Obama recession/"recovery".     

Obama has been a cruel joke.  Clinton, because she won't focus with an eye single on economic growth,  just promises more impoverishment, dislocation and exploitation.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Henry Noel

40 percent of officers killed are killed by blacks ( 6 percent of the population).  Officers have a good reason to be on a high level of alert.

If redheaded men aged 18 to 30 committed more than half the crimes in the United States, they'd be in exactly the same position blacks are in today, the objects of fear and suspicion by everyone, and rightfully so.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline goatprairie

Objective and superficially he's right. Blacks are way more likely to be victims of violence I believe.

But that' ain't whitey's fault. Which is where Newt is wrong.
yes. :amen:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Newt blew it on this one.
This is the kind of malarkey I'd expect to hear from Bush the elder.

And unlike the replies from some above, I sense this IS turning into an "us v. them" scenario. That it is becoming such IS NOT the fault of whites, who have bent over backwards and turned themselves into human pretzels trying to kowtow to the never-ending demands of blacks.

It's time for a large segment of America's black population to stop acting like animals and savages, and begin to re-adapt the semblence of a civilized people. Unfortunately, black "culture" (if you wish to call it that) no longer promotes the virtues of integration, but for the last 50 or so years has pushed "separateness" instead.

Blacks who think of themselves as "African Americans" will never BECOME "Americans".
They can choose to be one or the other.
Not both.

Offline goatprairie

Blaming whites for unprovoked black violence is "leadership"... lol
I'm in my sixties, and I've been reading bullroar about whites not understanding blacks for fifty years. In my teens I was a real liberal on race i.e. black problems were Whitey's fault. 
Since then I've become  a  lot wiser. People....., white, black, whatever.....are basicaly responsible for the state they find themselves in.
The facts are the Klan isn't riding through black neighborhoods killing blacks. There is a black Klan though that operates in most black cities. The black Klan has killed a lot more black people than the Klan ever did.
What many whites, conservatives and liberals, in positions of power are unwilling to state is that blacks are themselves responsible for their problem and not Evil Whitey.  Until the majority of blacks and whites understand and accept that fact we'll continue on this path that is wrecking the country.

Offline montanajoe

I was stationed at Fort Polk for awhile back in 74, a local black girl was our secretary. One Monday morning she came in and told us about a guy getting shot dead in front of their house over the weekend. I asked her how she knew he was dead, she said matter of factually  that the hole on the right side of his head was tiny but she could put her hand in the hole in the left side of his head.

I'd been in a war zone for a few years but I was struck by how non chalet she was about this guys death, In Montana it would have been news for days in that part Louisiana back then I don't think it even made the news, I came to the conclusion that blacks don't have life experiences that I could relate to. My life since then has shown that fact to be true. Newt is right on this...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The whole idea of this group experience mentality has bias and resentment written all over it.  There will never be and can never be justice unless we return to the responsibility of the individual and personal character matters type thinking.  Each act and thought stands alone and should be judged alone with due process of law.  This taking up offense for things that happen to members of ones "group" will only result in more conflict.  That's what wars are made of.

George Washington Carver and his contemporaries didn't want to be different, they wanted to be the same as everyone else. They wanted nothing more than to be part of American culture with no interest in the white/black culture BS.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
George Washington Carver and his contemporaries didn't want to be different, they wanted to be the same as everyone else. They wanted nothing more than to be part of American culture with no interest in the white/black culture BS.

George Washington Carver was a great man. There were others, Like Dr. Charles Drew, or General James, but it's the grievance gang that get to take up 'Black History Month' for sitting on a bus or writing 'poetry' or such. Pity the people writing that history don't stress those who were truly great Americans first, sans hyphenation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

George Washington Carver was a great man. There were others, Like Dr. Charles Drew, or General James, but it's the grievance gang that get to take up 'Black History Month' for sitting on a bus or writing 'poetry' or such. Pity the people writing that history don't stress those who were truly great Americans first, sans hyphenation.

I was a science-y kid and was fascinated by Carver when I read about him in the 3rd grade. He was born in the final years of slavery then raised and educated by the family that had owned his parents.

Offline Smokin Joe

I was a science-y kid and was fascinated by Carver when I read about him in the 3rd grade. He was born in the final years of slavery then raised and educated by the family that had owned his parents.
Owner's families educating their slaves and former slaves was not so unusual. The relationships between families were often generations deep, and cordial with a great deal of mutual loyalty. Some families even (with permission and blessing) took the same surname upon manumission.

I had a great great aunt who corresponded with and exchanged tree cuttings for grafting with George Washington Carver and who had had quite an orchard going. Sadly, only some sickle pears, peaches, and a row of mock orange (used as an insect repellent) trees remained when I was a child.  Most of the orchard was long gone by then, but I ate from those peach and pear trees in my youth.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
There are lots of brilliant black scientists. Why didn't racism stop them? Blacks need to stop blaming everything on racism and achieve.

Offline Cripplecreek

Owner's families educating their slaves and former slaves was not so unusual. The relationships between families were often generations deep, and cordial with a great deal of mutual loyalty. Some families even (with permission and blessing) took the same surname upon manumission.

I had a great great aunt who corresponded with and exchanged tree cuttings for grafting with George Washington Carver and who had had quite an orchard going. Sadly, only some sickle pears, peaches, and a row of mock orange (used as an insect repellent) trees remained when I was a child.  Most of the orchard was long gone by then, but I ate from those peach and pear trees in my youth.

Slave owners were a mixed bag but most treated slaves fairly well. I found this collection of stories from former slaves that are pretty interesting. One story is from a woman who was grabbed from one plantation by runaway hunters and taken to another plantation with a bad master. She ran away and went back to the plantation she grew up. Some slave owners even gave the slaves money to go see movies and buy candy for the kids etc.

Slavery was obviously fundamentally wrong but it was not a constant life of misery either.

Click on name then click view image to read the stories.  http://dbs.ohiohistory.org/africanam/html/mss/gr7999.html

Offline Smokin Joe

Slave owners were a mixed bag but most treated slaves fairly well. I found this collection of stories from former slaves that are pretty interesting. One story is from a woman who was grabbed from one plantation by runaway hunters and taken to another plantation with a bad master. She ran away and went back to the plantation she grew up. Some slave owners even gave the slaves money to go see movies and buy candy for the kids etc.

Slavery was obviously fundamentally wrong but it was not a constant life of misery either.

Click on name then click view image to read the stories.  http://dbs.ohiohistory.org/africanam/html/mss/gr7999.html
Minstrel shows or live theater (many such troupes and chataquas were on the road in the summer months, and larger towns had theaters for plays and the like), but movies didn't get their start until the 1890s, long after slavery.

I agree on both counts, that yes, the idea of owning another person is repulsive, but not all slaves were mistreated by any stretch. Happy, healthy, and loyal people were far more valuable to have around than someone who had to be beaten into submission anyway.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Slave owners were a mixed bag but most treated slaves fairly well.

Most? That's a bold statement to make IMO. Anything to back that up? I do agree that not all were mistreated.

Offline Cripplecreek

Minstrel shows or live theater (many such troupes and chataquas were on the road in the summer months, and larger towns had theaters for plays and the like), but movies didn't get their start until the 1890s, long after slavery.

I think the word they used was matinee or theater.

Offline Cripplecreek

@Smokin Joe

Phillis Wheatley was a world famous poet and slave in the 1700s. She traveled to Europe where she was free but still returned to her master. She denounced slavery in the strongest possible terms yet still saw being taken from the barbarism of Africa is a good thing.

Twas mercy brought me from my Pagan land,
Taught my benighted soul to understand
That there's a God, that there's a Saviour too:
Once I redemption neither sought nor knew.
Some view our sable race with scornful eye,
"Their colour is a diabolic dye."
Remember, Christians, Negroes, black as Cain,
May be refin'd, and join th' angelic train.

Offline Smokin Joe

Most? That's a bold statement to make IMO. Anything to back that up? I do agree that not all were mistreated.
Uncle Tom's Cabin was a novel, and Abolitionist agitprop. While it likely portrayed the worst of the worst, slaves were a considerable investment.

Mistreating that investment made no sense, as their labor would bring success to their owners, their inability to be productive would harm them. Far better to treat them well and earn their loyalty. Keep in mind that while not all owner's wives were wonderful people, many were good Christians who would brook no mistreatment of their servants, except in the most extreme cases when severe discipline was seen as absolutely necessary. It was easier to sell recalcitrants down the river and keep morale up on the farm or among those in the business.

Do sample the accounts at this link: http://dbs.ohiohistory.org/africanam/html/mss/gr7999.html as the accounts seem pretty typical of those I have read from other areas. Yes, there were incidents and some were known for cruelty, but it was far from universal, and by simple logic, in the minority.

That is, of course, putting aside for the moment the fundamental objection to owning another person, which I think we all share.

C S Lewis

Oceander

It is more dangerous to be black in America, mainly because of other blacks.  Whites got nothin' to do with it.

Offline East of the Beast

As I told a black friend of mine.You are a lot safer in a white neighborhood than I would be in a black neghborhood.He thought for a moment and finally said he'd have to agree.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:08:30 pm by East of the Beast »

Offline mountaineer

Newt and ...  Bill DeBlasio?
De Blasio: ‘Young Men Of Color Live In Fear All the Time,’ ‘There’s Implicit Bias In All Of Us In This Country’
by Ian Hanchett11 Jul 2016

On Monday’s broadcast of CNN’s “New Day,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) argued that we have to help “our police understand there’s implicit bias in all of us in this country,” and “all of us in white America have to understand better that, young men of color live in fear all the time.”

De Blasio said that part of the solution is “retraining our police, helping our police understand there’s implicit bias in all of us in this country, and that we have to work to get that bias out of our systems. And that’s across all backgrounds.”   ...

More at Breitbart
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

As a good and loyal communist, de Blasio would send the cops to re-education camps.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Not so keen on some of the logic linked in the original article:

In the era of Facebook Live and smart phones, it’s hard to come to any conclusion other than the fact that police brutality toward African-Americans is a pervasive problem that has been going on for generations. Seriously, absent video proof, how many innocent African-Americans have been beaten or killed over the last hundred years by the police—with little or no media coverage or scrutiny?

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/08/a-confession/#ixzz4ECdlOmHs

This is drawing conclusions by anecdote, which is all that smart phone videos are.  Anectodes are fine for refuting blanket assumptions like "the police are always right" or "African-Americans are never mistreated by cops".  But to draw a general conclusion from cell phone videos that blacks are treated worse than whites is bogus.  Truth is, there are an awful lot of white people who are also mistreated by cops.  We just tend not to see those videos because the media doesn't promote them.  So what you have is a whole bunch of people -- including many young white people -- believing the false narrative that white people are never/very rarely mistreated by cops, never/very rarely shot by cops, etc..  Toni Morrison's statement from a few days ago exemplifies that mindset.

If I believed some of the things some BLM protestors believed, I'd feel that shooting cops is perfectly justified.  The media narrative that cops believe it is open season on black people needs to be countered, not endorsed.

Offline skeeter

"Newt Gingrich on police shootings: Sometimes whites don’t fully appreciate that it’s more dangerous to be black in America"

Could this be because in an overwhelming number of cases its blacks endangering blacks?

Offline Cripplecreek

"Newt Gingrich on police shootings: Sometimes whites don’t fully appreciate that it’s more dangerous to be black in America"

Could this be because in an overwhelming number of cases its blacks endangering blacks?

And just by coincidence I see this in the local news this morning.

Investigation continues into drive-by shooting in Jackson that injured four http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2016/07/police_investigating_drive-by.html#incart_2box_news_jackson

Black lives matter when there is a police shooting but otherwise not. (Drive by shooting at the same house last month)

And while we're on the subject, does anybody want to come up here and riot with us over this white guy killed by police?

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2016/06/columbia_township_man_killed_b.html