Author Topic: Let’s Have a Moment of Candor  (Read 1008 times)

Offline sinkspur

Let’s Have a Moment of Candor
« on: July 08, 2016, 05:09:28 pm »
http://theresurgent.com/lets-have-a-moment-of-candor/

Let’s Have a Moment of Candor

By Erick Erickson  |  July 8, 2016, 10:36am

“A nation where the hashtag #AmericaWasNeverGreat can become a trending topic on Twitter on Independence Day is not a nation for much longer.”
Those of you on edge and hesitant to consider something because you think I’m making a grossly partisan point need to stick around past the next few paragraphs because I will keep nothing from you. But commit to moving beyond the next few paragraphs.

For the last eight years, whether you want to admit it or not, President Obama has succeeded not by uniting everyone, but by dividing everyone into groups and pitting them against each other. If you search this website or my writings anywhere, you will note that one conservative trope I try religiously to avoid is trotting out the name Alinsky. It is overdone and scratches a conservative itch to find the single silver bullet to explain and solve everything. But I do think a lot of leftwing tactics have been employed by the President including “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Alinsky advised to go after people, not institutions, and we see the President often going after groups. Republicans are the enemy, they’re hostage takers, he urged people to get in their neighbors’ faces, he encouraged people to take guns to knife fights.

Essentially, the President has spent eight years playing tribal politics, dividing the rich and poor, the races, the parties, the sexes, etc. and it has gotten to the point where even President Obama acknowledges he has contributed to the partisan rancor in the country. “It’s one of the few regrets of my presidency, that the rancor and suspicion between the parties has gotten worse instead of better,” the President said during his last State of the Union.

Straight vs. gay, black vs. white vs. hispanic, rich vs. poor, male vs. female, college educated vs. non-college educated, etc. the country has descended to tribal politics and it has, in part, come about because of a society that, in progressivism, no longer embraces the idea of a melting pot, but has embraced a “salad bowl” approach to assimilation.

The founders believed horizontal and vertical federalism was the salve for this factionalism and regionalism. The federal government should have the limited powers necessary to unite the various factions for national ends, but otherwise should leave people alone. Those who wanted a liberal paradise should be able to live together and those who wanted a conservative stronghold should be able to have it. But now everyone is vying for a one size fits all homogenous tyranny where we are a truly diverse, heterogenous republic and all that does is drive up the stakes.

Concurrent to all of that, Democrats know that black voters are not going to vote GOP so they inflame black voters with grievances and victim ideology to drive up election day turnout while Republicans, knowing black voters are not going to vote for them, just ignore black voters and their concerns. Meanwhile, the black family crumbles caught in partisan politics, but anyone who speaks up and offers solutions who is not of the right tribe is called a racist.

That, whether you agree or disagree, is how a lot of conservatives see the dynamic of the last eight years. You may disagree, but understand that close to half the country sees it that way. To the extent we see things vastly differently, again I think it is a bit of tribalism on all our parts and that we are more and more a nation without common idiomatic expressions and culture. A nation where the hashtag #AmericaWasNeverGreat can become a trending topic on Twitter on Independence Day is not a nation for much longer.

Into this, Republicans are responding not with a candidate who will rise above the fray and try to unite us all back into common culture, but a man with no temperament to do anything other than divide. His loudest supporters embrace a “convert or die” mentality. We are either with him or against him.

Republicans have embraced a man who takes tribalism to new levels and, in the process, have put on blinders and willfully ignored how much he excites white nationalists and the race baiters of the right. For every New Black Panther in love with Barack Obama there are two white nationalists willing to march through hell for Donald Trump.

The GOP response, largely driven by anger, has been to double down on what they perceive caused Barack Obama to win. They have decided to embrace what they consider are the tactics of the left with gusto. Instead of trying something different or to be better than they perceive the other side, they’re going to try to deploy what they perceive as the President’s playbook with a man far more divisive and even less able to unite the nation.

The Republican Presidential candidate laments how divided the nation has become while playing on those divisions in the same way Barack Obama has.

The Democrats’ successor for Barack Obama is likewise unable to unite people. Neither party is playing to the idea of America, but to base mobilization, fear, and our lesser selves.

The party that claims to represent the poor has chosen a woman who got rich through government service. The party that claims to represent the family has chosen a man who has destroyed families.

We have reached a moment in this country where most everyone lacks seriousness and the one institution that should fill the void, the church, is on the defensive in some cases and in others has descended as much into the culture of left and right as the secularists have.

I’m afraid 2016 is the beginning of a chaotic time and not a one off occasion. We may look back on 2016 as the calm before the storm. What is most galling to me is that my party, the party I once served as an elected official, has turned to a man who has no intention of uniting the nation, who brings out the worst in absolutely everybody, and with so much on the line has so little a chance of even winning. But to point this out is to be accused of being a traitor and helping a woman I find equally offensive.

All of this is to say we get the government and national character that reflects us and right now it is all a damning indictment of our American character. How many more will die? How many more Americans will turn against each other? How many will seek blame instead of reconciliation? I suspect more on all counts than the number who might turn and seek the Lord.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline RedHead

Re: Let’s Have a Moment of Candor
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:26:48 pm »
For the last eight years, whether you want to admit it or not, President Obama has succeeded not by uniting everyone, but by dividing everyone into groups and pitting them against each other.

If Mr. Erickson honestly thinks that this country was not just as badly divided before Obama became president or that politicians in this country weren't pitting one group against the other for their own gains just as much before Obama was elected then he is a complete idiot. 

And anyone who thinks that will change under a President Trump or a second President Clinton are just as foolish.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:29:34 pm »
If Mr. Erickson honestly thinks that this country was not just as badly divided before Obama became president or that politicians in this country weren't pitting one group against the other for their own gains just as much before Obama was elected then he is a complete idiot. 

And anyone who thinks that will change under a President Trump or a second President Clinton are just as foolish.

Well, Redhead, you must be calling me a complete idiot because I do remember before the big 0 became president, and yes, the division was not nearly as stark or well-developed.   0 and his crew have deliberately created, exploited and aggravated divisions. 

I would expect a pres. clinton to carry on the same process, because it works and she has exhibited her willingness to do so with her rhetoric.  A DT presidency?  I simply don't know.  Nor do you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »

I dunno. With the riots and police shootings and all, I think the case is pretty clear that Obama has further divided the country, rather than unite it. He certainly hasn't helped any.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 03:29:47 pm »
Well, Redhead, you must be calling me a complete idiot because I do remember before the big 0 became president, and yes, the division was not nearly as stark or well-developed.   0 and his crew have deliberately created, exploited and aggravated divisions. 

I would expect a pres. clinton to carry on the same process, because it works and she has exhibited her willingness to do so with her rhetoric.  A DT presidency?  I simply don't know.  Nor do you.

I'm afraid Pandora's box has been opened, and I can't imagine how any president can put the lid back on it. How would such a thing be done in the current social and political environment?

At this point a Trump, or any other non-maoist president, would only provide an additional incentive to the mobs Obama has released.

He just may be able to accomplish other things of benefit to the country, but I do not think improved relations with the black community is one of them.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 04:02:23 pm »
I'm afraid Pandora's box has been opened, and I can't imagine how any president can put the lid back on it. How would such a thing be done in the current social and political environment?

At this point a Trump, or any other non-maoist president, would only provide an additional incentive to the mobs Obama has released.

He just may be able to accomplish other things of benefit to the country, but I do not think improved relations with the black community is one of them.

1968 was like this, not as bad tho with the Muslim influence and Soros funded violence we have now. But eventually we became more stable and less divided for awhile.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:23:16 pm »
1968 was like this, not as bad tho with the Muslim influence and Soros funded violence we have now. But eventually we became more stable and less divided for awhile.

We were more homogeneous back then. And, generally speaking, alot more socially conservative and traditionally minded.

I'm not as optimistic - I think we'll soon be breaking brand new ground.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »
We were more homogeneous back then. And, generally speaking, alot more socially conservative and traditionally minded.

I'm not as optimistic - I think we'll soon be breaking brand new ground.
One of the possible scenarios that was discussed in a professionals forums as very possible in the future was America breaking up and turning like Bosnia with different races and factions killing each other because of race.

What happened in Bristol TN  is inline with that theory.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 04:35:20 pm »
One of the possible scenarios that was discussed in a professionals forums as very possible in the future was America breaking up and turning like Bosnia with different races and factions killing each other because of race.

What "professionals."  Sounds like a bunch of skinheads to me.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 04:37:20 pm »
What "professionals."  Sounds like a bunch of skinheads to me.
To somebody who trusts the left wing press anybody opposing the agenda you have been pushing here sounds like a skinhead.
I stand with the police.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 05:16:51 pm »

America doesn't have to break up, different races and factions have been killing each other for a long, long time now. I would say it started escalating under the direction of lbj and the democrats in the sixties. The backs and Browns kill the Whites, the Blacks kill the Browns, the Browns kill the Blacks, hell the only people the Blacks and Browns hate more than the Whites are each other because of the competition at feeding trough of social programs.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 12:26:14 am »

Its the nature of mankind when it turns its back on it's creator.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:28:04 am by skeeter »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 12:28:35 am »
To somebody who trusts the left wing press anybody opposing the agenda you have been pushing here sounds like a skinhead.
I stand with the police.

What was the name of the "professionals forum"?  Or did you just make that up?

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 12:34:10 am »
What was the name of the "professionals forum"?  Or did you just make that up?
In my experience the ones who ask such things do so for the sole reason of trying to cause trouble and silence people. So you get nothing. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 12:37:06 am »
In my experience the ones who ask such things do so for the sole reason of trying to cause trouble and silence people. So you get nothing.

So there was no "professionals forum."  You just make shit up and expect nobody to notice.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 12:44:05 am »
I stand with the police.

IOW "phony conservatives," who take the liberal side on most issues? Most here were NOT adults in 1968. They are going by hearsay, etc.

The year 1968 was very eventful, to say the least. The year 1969 was reflected in BOTH peaceful Woodstock, and violent Altamont.

Not to be overlooked is a war underway, where over 58,000 young American men were going to die. Over 500,000 deployed, vs. less than 10,000 today "fighting" terrorism in dangerous locations.

While I served in Germany at the same time, we had a study to determine, if we had black-white race problems. The conclusion was we had senior enlisted vs. junior enlisted problems, not racial.

I co-chaired the study. Outside the BLM issue, today is a cakewalk. A bunch of overweight entitled child-adults, with their faces in smartphones most of their time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 12:59:04 am »
Outside the BLM issue, today is a cakewalk. A bunch of overweight entitled child-adults, with their faces in smartphones most of their time.

72 hours ago, I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 01:03:41 am »
72 hours ago, I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

You did note the qualifier "outside the BLM issue?"

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 01:06:13 am »
You did note the qualifier "outside the BLM issue?"

Ah, ok. Noted.

Yeah I don't know where this is all headed. If neither "side" says "uncle" then what happens? Do we need a Kent State or something to put people off violence? I was born in 1976, I have no idea how all the violence peetered out. But eventually it did.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 03:56:19 am »
Ah, ok. Noted.

Yeah I don't know where this is all headed. If neither "side" says "uncle" then what happens? Do we need a Kent State or something to put people off violence? I was born in 1976, I have no idea how all the violence peetered out. But eventually it did.

GOP wins 1968, 72, 80, 84, 88. Nixon/Agnew explicitly ran on Law and Order in 1972. A nation with much more intellectual & social maturity & honesty, than now.

Social unrest went out of style, and even with Clinton there was realization that social programs were not generally the desired end. "End welfare, as we knew it."

This shit under Obama is a result of his nurturing feelings of victimhood. People don't dare speak up, lest they get called "racists."

Do your own research on black crime statistics, out of wedlock statistics, etc. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:14 am »

Not so. I recall the days before LBJ's "Great Society", the riots and divisiveness stoked by the New Left during the 60s (the same sort of Communist agitators who were pimping the Antiwar movement and the Hippies). I recall it only took fifty years to begin to recover from the damage, but that welfare programs and the freebie society were bankrupting the country as an ever decreasing productive class paid for the parasites. Then came Obama, with all the verve of a 60s racist agitator coupled with Islamist apologist, and stirred things up again. Race relations went backwards fifty years as we once again had rioting in the streets, only those now in office would not use the well-understood means (from the 60s) to shut that crap down.
But I recall, when, in spite of Jim Crow, people were more united under the American Flag than they are today. We weren't perfect, there was progress to be made (and it had been made), but we were all Americans, without hyphenation.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:16:33 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 04:15:44 am »
Ah, ok. Noted.

People got into dope, then greed. The pot mellowed them out. Greed made everyone want to exploit everyone else, regardless of race, creed, or national origin...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:12 am »
People got into dope, then greed. The pot mellowed them out. Greed made everyone want to exploit everyone else, regardless of race, creed, or national origin...

Pretty sure lots of these guys smoke dope, it doesn't seem to be mellowing them out.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 10:45:45 am »
Pretty sure lots of these guys smoke dope, it doesn't seem to be mellowing them out.
It was grass back then...mellow. Then coke in the 80s to impress (themselves) with how hip and smart they were...

Nowadays it's meth, crack, and brown tar heroin, and a lot of that stuff is cut with other crap. Meth especially is not the sort of thing to make mellow people, in between digging pits in themselves trying to get the bugs out from under their skin.

C S Lewis

Offline WAC

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 02:41:49 am »
This shit under Obama is a result of his nurturing feelings of victim-hood. People don't dare speak up, lest they get called "racists.".

..Yes it's all about the absolute herding and control of the black community by Obama's administration in conjunction with the black
community leaders, (Maryland as an ex.), and the average black citizen is too willfully ignorant of the facts to realize it.......

But I got to say... the black community better shape up real fast as they'll soon  be replaced with Mexican labor units etc........ Demorats believe the Mexicans will be easier to control.