Author Topic: Trump to House Republicans: ‘Say great things . . . We love Trump.’  (Read 1777 times)

Offline thatcher

Trump to House Republicans: ‘Say great things . . . We love Trump.’

Donald Trump asked House Republicans Thursday to only “say great things” about him in an effort to project a unified front in the presidential election.

Republican members of Congress repeatedly pressed Trump during their hour-long closed-door meeting to reassure them he would work with them constructively and respect their agenda if elected. Trump promised that he would and also repeatedly urged them to exit the meeting and tell the media outside that everything was perfect inside the Republican Party.

“It would great if you could say we had an unbelievable meeting. ‘Trump loves us. We love Trump.’ It’s going to be so good. Okay?” Trump said, according to a detailed account from a person who attended the meeting. “Honestly, if we could say it is great, we have a unified party, I’ll tell you what, you are going to see a difference immediately. That’s what I’m going to say.”

Trump told the Republican lawmakers he loved them all and that they agreed on 99 percent of the issues. Trump said he assured House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) that he would never let him down. He then repeated his call for the members of Congress to praise him and project unity, even if they still had lingering reservations about him as their candidate.

“If when we leave we could just go out and say, ‘We love Trump, he’s going to be great.’ I love you, we’re doing great. As a team, we can’t be beaten,” Trump said. “Say great things, because anything you say that’s even a little — well you know, they magnify it. Just say it’s great. You gotta say great things. Any little negativity that you have, they are going to blow it up twentyfold. You’ve got to be positive.”

The meeting was not entirely smooth. Trump appeared not to be familiar with Article 1 of the Constitution, which specifies the powers given to Congress. Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) asked Trump what his understanding was of Article 1, given congressional concerns about the balance of power.

“I am a constitutionalist. I am going to abide by the Constitution whether it’s number 1, number 2, number 12, number 9,” Trump responded. “I am a constitutionalist. I’m going to abide by the Constitution . . . It’s so important, and we’re getting away from it. And let me tell you, we have gotten so far away from it, we’re not going to have a country anymore.”

The Constitution has only seven articles. Trump did not speak about Article 1 specifically.

Read more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trump-to-house-republicans-say-great-things--we-love-trump/2016/07/07/c487cf2a-447e-11e6-8856-f26de2537a9d_story.html

Offline skeeter

Oh my.

geronl

Trump doesn't seek unity, he seeks to turn the GOP into a choir.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Seig-heil.

That's what he demands.

Trump is far more dangerous to you and me than the Hildabeast criminal traitor in the Mao Pantsuit.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Seig-heil.

That's what he demands.

Trump is far more dangerous to you and me than the Hildabeast criminal traitor in the Mao Pantsuit.

For heaven's sake, no he is not.   **nononono*

Offline plewis1250

I put them at about equal on the dangerous scale.

The problem with Trump is, the party cannot combat him.

I do not want Hillary, but at least we can attack from a position of opposition. With Trump it is impossible.

Really, it boils down to, does one think Trump believes in the same things as Clinton. Decades of support makes me believe he does. Being wishy washy on almost every single major issue makes me believe he does. Standing up for liberal positions such as tax increases, abandoning free trade, and transgender bathrooms makes me believe he does.

Trump is Clinton. Clinton is Trump.
Both are terrible. Both are scum. Both are dangerous. Both have no business being President of the United States of America. Which hurts more, cutting off your leg or cutting off your arm? Both do. Its a pointless question, because the result is the same.

#NeverTrump
#NeverHillary
The pecking order: Christian, American, Conservative

geronl

Trump is just not a serious candidate.

A serious candidate would be going all out to attack Hillary, yet he soft pedals her and does things like attack Republicans and praise Saddam Hussein.

This is insane.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

A serious candidate would be going all out to attack Hillary, yet he soft pedals her and does things like attack Republicans and praise Saddam Hussein.

This is insane.

Stalking Horse for Hillary.

Then it all makes perfect sense.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

debrawiest

This is insane.

Hey, he also attacks mosquitos! That's gotta count for something.

HonestJohn

By his own words and deeds is a man measured.

And Herr Drumpf's words and deeds are a clear and present danger to America.

Offline sinkspur

“If when we leave we could just go out and say, ‘We love Trump, he’s going to be great.’ I love you, we’re doing great. As a team, we can’t be beaten,” Trump said. “Say great things, because anything you say that’s even a little — well you know, they magnify it. Just say it’s great. You gotta say great things. Any little negativity that you have, they are going to blow it up twentyfold. You’ve got to be positive.”

If you have to encourage people to put on a happy face for you, what does that say about you? 

Why are these Republican cowards humiliating themselves like this?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline roamer_1

If you have to encourage people to put on a happy face for you, what does that say about you? 

Why are these Republican cowards humiliating themselves like this?

There's nothing wrong with being positive... I'm positive I will never vote for Trump.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline NavyCanDo

Seig-heil.

That's what he demands.

I have been debating with myself who is more dangerous. The answer I keep getting - they both are. One the most corrupt candidate ever to reach the Convention, and the other the most unstable and Narcissistic.    Heads we lose, Tails we lose.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Fixed your image for you in case some folks miss the reference.

[/quote]

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Exactly.  Don't say anything bad about me.  It isn't in my communist manifesto.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline GrouchoTex

I kept on looking for the sarc tag or the onion byline.
Sadly, I could not find it...