Author Topic: Wah-Hoo!...Ted Cruz to speak at Republican National Convention after all....  (Read 13898 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump got rolled by Cruz.

I actually think that Trump's people looked at the delegate mutiny and did some hard counting and woke up to the very real fact they do not have enough to get nominated.

That's when Trump put the call out to meet with the GOP senators and Cruz.

At least that is how it looks to me.

Hillary cannot risk someone other than Trump running, because Trump is her stalking horse and her guarantee to the crowning.

Because up until the news about the delegates was reaching critical mass, Trump was dismissive of Cruz even being allowed at the Convention unless he endorsed him.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline musiclady

Yes and Reagan gave, not withheld, his endorsement of Gerald Ford in 1976. Very much worth noting.

There's no comparison between Ford and Trump. 

Endorsing the honorable Gerald Ford is entirely different than endorsing the devoid-of-integrity Donald Trump.

There was no damage to Reagan because of his endorsing Ford.  There will be enormous damage to Cruz if he endorses Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Yes.  And Ford was a terrible candidate.  But you cannot really compare Ford and Trump.  Trump is flat out appalling in character and mode of operation.  Anyone who gets near that hideous campaign will get burned in the end.  Wait and see.   "I'm with the racist bully who called my wife ugly, my dad a murderer, my kids...whatever...and myself a liar" will not be easy to explain away.  Do constitutional conservative principles and character matter or is power the only "principle" Republicans have left?

When we see how this plays out, we'll find out if there are any Republicans left with Constitutional Conservative principles.

If they all sell out to this degenerate, then it only reinforces my decision to leave the Republican party for good.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

May it be so!!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

After talking contemporaneously for a good period of time and rousing the delegates, he should say something to the effect of he is releasing his delegates and encourage all delegates to vote their conscience. And to not fear any repercussions.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline musiclady

So true.

Honestly I do still think Cruz is a principled conservative.  He is faced with so many bad choices right now, strategically speaking, that he is bound to make some errors.  I'm not writing him off or anything.  I just think he may get burned by this move.  However someone else said Cruz had enough delegates that Trump really had to let him speak.  So it is possible we are getting the Trump spin on this.

I'm not drawing any conclusions either.

And I also still believe Cruz to be honorable.

And if we are getting Trump spin on this, we know for sure that it is a lie.

Because that's pretty much all Trump does.

Ever.

Offline musiclady

I plan to see it all.

Report back here, OK?

Cause I'm not watching a minute of this Trump fiasco.

(Except maybe Cruz' speech.  It will stand out because of its honesty).

Offline Suppressed

Dated June 26  http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284956-trump-wont-invite-cruz-kasich-to-speak-at-convention

June 26 wasn't yesterday. The surprising thing is that Trump waited more than 24 hours to reverse himself.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Report back here, OK?

Cause I'm not watching a minute of this Trump fiasco.

(Except maybe Cruz' speech.  It will stand out because of its honesty).

As time permits I  will do.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

As time permits I  will do.

Thank you!  As @RAT Patrol has said, I trust you completely to give an accurate report of what's really going on.   :patriot:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
@Bigun

Ditto for me.  I can't stomach watching or even listening to the Trump Sideshow.  I trust Bigun and some others to tell us what we need to know.

I might actually tune into the Clinton/Trump debates, though.  I have a feeling they will be a must see.

Lots of popcorn!  I hope Cruz is up first so I can listen and then turn it off.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
June 28, 1998 here.

Dunno why, but I'm still proud of that.

I understand why you're proud.  Back in The Day, Free Republic was something to be proud of.  And I am one of the originals.  I joined the same day Jim R. created FR as a forum.  Before that, we were posting on kind of a White Water chat room with very few members.  I can remember logging in late at night and saying , 'anybody here?"

Free Republic remained a good forum until 2012.  That was the first time it got out of hand.  I was a supporter of Rick Perry and it got really vicious.  I was banned because I criticized Jim for allowing all the personal insults.  I still think he was wrong to do that. 

I came back at the start of this primary season and, before long, Jim was allowing the most vicious personal attacks against Cruz supporters.  Deja Vue all over again.  Eventually, Jim sold his soul to the trumpers on the forum ... partially because they bribed him with monetary support...

Oh, well.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

geronl

Actually I think Cruz has more to lose by not endorsing Trump...he still needs party support for his reelection to the Senate.

Ted won without the party last time and he can do it again.

geronl

That's really not surprising or much a stretch.  Cruz will be speaking at a convention nominating Donald Trump.   :shrug:

The convention is not about one person. The convention highlights the party and its values.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Pluck the knuckle dragging cretins.

I noticed there are a few reasonable posters trying steer the place back to normalcy, but the mouth breathers keep dragging them back.

I'd add one more thing about the alleged Trump/Cruz detente - it would also help a great deal if Trump would make a solid, very public, irrevocable promise - with something to make it credible -  to allow Cruz latitude in selecting SCOTUS nominees, or something.

In spite of who or who doesn't speak at the convention many of us still have no affirmative reason to vote for him.

Because no one knows ... even Trump ... what he thinks today or will think tomorrow.  If Trump promises you something, get it in advance ... do not believe it, even if he signs it in front of 100 notaries and 3 Supreme Court justices.

I hope and know that Ted Cruz is way too smart to fall for anything Trump says or promises.  I hope like heck that he doesn't say one kind word about Trump when he speaks at the Convention.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Actually I think Cruz has more to lose by not endorsing Trump...he still needs party support for his reelection to the Senate.

Cruz did not have the party's support when he was originally elected and he doesn't need it now.  He will win in a landslide .... unless...if he endorses Trump, that could hurt his chances.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump needs Cruz to speak after he told him he would not allow him to speak unless he endorsed Trump, because Trump knows he runs the risk of not having enough delegates and that is why he met with the GOP Senators.

It's interesting that the Clueless One finally got a clue.  Or listened to someone.  He did NOT get a good reception from the GOP senators and he has to know that Ted Cruz is infinitely a better and more popular man than he is.

Of course, he doesn't know that... he's Trump ... he's just playing his cards.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Great post.  The Convention might be interesting after all.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Cruz has been making some strategic mistakes.  I would accept that he is speaking if it were framed that Cruz demanded a spot.  Phrased as a Trump invite makes Cruz look like an endorser whether he is or isn't.  BAD MOVE.  Cruz will never overcome the labeling he has received -- both fair and unfair.  So he should continue to use it to his advantage.  By trying to become Mr. Get-Along now, he can do nothing but lose.  He loses with those who unfairly slandered him and with those who stuck by him who now feel like it was for nothing.  I cannot accept anything but a hostile demand of a speech because the Trump candidacy is so hideous and outrageous that no respectable person should desire to be associated with it.

Sorry, Ted.  That's what I think about it.

I disagree.  Ted did not promise to endorse but held fast.  Trump was the one who surrendered.  And the Convention is about more than Trump...it's an opportunity for a true conservative to make a great speech and dominate the Convention.

You are wrong to think the Convention is just about Trump.  It isn't.  Ted will make it about Conservatism and maybe about Ted Cruz.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Bigun

Ditto for me.  I can't stomach watching or even listening to the Trump Sideshow.  I trust Bigun and some others to tell us what we need to know.

I might actually tune into the Clinton/Trump debates, though.  I have a feeling they will be a must see.

You are a real downer tonight.  There will be no Clinton/Trump debates unless we give up and give Trump the nomination.

I don't appreciate your negative stance on Ted Cruz.  If anyone can rescue us from this debacle, it will be him.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
June 26 wasn't yesterday. The surprising thing is that Trump waited more than 24 hours to reverse himself.

I honestly at some point...after this has been talked about by the MSM for a couple days...especially if any pundit even hints that Trump talking to Cruz shows a sign of weakness in the Trump campaign...except to see King Presumptive to go off the rails at a campaign stop much like he did the other day over the star and say it wasn't his choice to talk to Ted and blame one of his staffers for giving him bad advice.

Trump: "No...no...no...listen...look I didn't want to have that meeting in D.C....honestly I didn't want to meet with Ted...still can't believe a word he says.."

Crowd: "Lyin' Ted! Lyin Ted!"

Trump: "Exactly...but I made the mistake of listening to a couple of my staffers and it turned out to be a big mistake because now...now...now you have the dishonest lying awful media saying it shows that I was weak...that the Trump Campaign was weak....and that's just bull...we're strong!"

Crowd: *cheering wildly*

Trump: "So in reality...in reality I did Ted a favor by meeting with him because now people won't forget him after the Convention because I met with him at the GOP Headquarters".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:14:57 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Trump: "No...no...no...listen...look I didn't want to have that meeting in D.C....honestly I didn't want to meet with Ted...still can't believe a word he says.."

Crowd: "Lyin' Ted! Lyin Ted!"

Trump: "Exactly...but I made the mistake of listening to a couple of my staffers and it turned out to be a big mistake because now...now...now you have the dishonest lying awful media saying it shows that I was weak...that the Trump Campaign was weak....and that's just bull...we're strong!"

Crowd: *cheering wildly*

Trump: "So in reality...in reality I did Ted a favor by meeting with him because now people won't forget him after the Convention because I met with him at the GOP Headquarters".
@txradioguy
Is this a quote from Trump?

Source?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy
Is this a quote from Trump?

Source?
@don-o

No that all came from my fertile brain this morning...imagining Trump in a couple weeks going off the rails about the meeting he had yesterday LOL!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
@don-o

No that all came from my fertile brain this morning...imagining Trump in a couple weeks going off the rails about the meeting he had yesterday LOL!

Thing is to my mind it was quite plausible, In fact I immediately did  a search for a story.