Author Topic: Trump, seeking GOP unity, has tense meeting with Senate Republicans  (Read 1017 times)

Offline thatcher

Trump, seeking GOP unity, has tense meeting with Senate Republicans

Donald Trump’s private meeting Thursday with Senate Republicans – designed to foster greater party unity ahead of the national convention in Cleveland — grew combative as the presumptive presidential nominee admonished three senators who have been critical of his candidacy and predicted they would lose their reelection bids, according to two Republican officials with direct knowledge of the exchanges.

Trump’s most tense exchange was with Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who has been vocal in his concerns about the business mogul’s candidacy, especially his rhetoric and policies on immigration that the senator has argued alienate many Latino and other voters in Arizona.

Flake stood up at the meeting and introduced himself to which Trump said: “You’ve been very critical of me.”

“Yes, I’m the other senator from Arizona – the one who didn’t get captured – and I want to talk to you about statements like that,” Flake responded, according to two Republican officials.

Flake was referencing Trump’s comments last summer about the Vietnam war service of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Flake told Trump that he wants to be able to support him – “I’m not part of the Never Trump movement,” the senator said – but that he remains uncomfortable backing him, the officials said.

Trump said at the meeting that he has yet to attack Flake hard, but threatened to begin doing so.

Flake’s spokesman did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Characterizing Kirk as a loser, Trump vowed that he would carry Illinois in the general election even though the state traditionally has been solidly Democratic in presidential contests.
Kirk did not attend the meeting with Trump.

Trump also singled out Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), who has refused to support Trump and has emerged as perhaps the most vocal advocate for a third-party candidate. Sasse declined to speak with reporters as he left the meeting.

“Senator Sasse went to today’s meeting ready to listen. Senator Sasse introduced himself to Mr. Trump and the two had a gracious exchange,” said James Wegmann, the senator’s spokesman. “Mr. Sasse continues to believe that our country is in a bad place and, with these two candidates, this election remains a dumpster fire. Nothing has changed.”

Read more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/07/07/trump-meets-with-hill-republicans-as-controversy-over-star-of-david-tweet-continues/

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Trump, seeking GOP unity, has tense meeting with Senate Republicans
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »
Jeff Bezzos 20 Democrats  at the Washington Post add "tense" to the title and then try to spin the meeting as negative as possible to control the  ****sheep****

From the other thread on the meeting:

“The reaction was very positive. I’ve been in politics a long time, so I can be cynical. There was very little cynicism in the room.”
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:11:44 pm by Mechanicos »
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:09:38 pm »
LOL!!  Good for Flake and Kirk and Sasse.  Get under his very thin skin.  And Flake is not up for reelection this year so not sure why Trump thinks "going after him" would be productive. 

That's Trump's first reaction to criticism:  Not to take it to heart, but to lash out at the messenger.

Meanwhile, this is from the House meeting with Trump:

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel  45m45 minutes ago
Rep. Mark Sanford on Trump meeting: “I wasn’t particularly impressed. It was the normal stream of consciousness, long on hyperbole."

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel  44m44 minutes ago
More Sanford: When asked about Article I powers, Trump said he’d protect “all of them,” down to Article 12. “There is no Article 12."

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline thatcher

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

Details, details...

‏@mkraju

Flake reminded Trump in meeting that he is not up for reelect until 2018, after Trump THREATENED to defeat him, sources say

10:07 AM - 7 Jul 2016

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
The man's an idiot, supported by idiots.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 05:16:46 pm »
In his discussion with senators, Trump claimed he had inside intelligence about Hillary Clinton’s vetting process for Supreme Court vacancies and that he knew the names of two people the presumptive Democratic nominee is considering nominating, two Republican officials said. But Trump would not reveal those names.

Trump cannot resist crazy.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:18:45 pm »
“If you look at the trajectory of his unforced errors, he’s getting better,” said Rep. Bill Flores (R-Tex.). “I mean, he’s not where we want him to be, but he’s getting better.”

Like a toddler.  Proud that Trump only pisses in his pants every other day now.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:28:31 pm »
Trump said at the meeting that he has yet to attack Flake hard, but threatened to begin doing so.

Characterizing Kirk as a loser, Trump vowed that he would carry Illinois in the general election

Proof that Trump is Hillary's Stalking Horse.

He is going to continue to attack Conservatives, threaten them, impugn them - and go kid gloves on Hillary, just as he did last night.

Trump is a bulldozer to clear the path to make Hillary's coronation appear legit.

It's what happens after a coup and you have to deceive the plebes a little while longer until the regime has complete and total control of everything.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »
Like a toddler.  Proud that Trump only pisses in his pants every other day now.
Well, that Depends....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thatcher

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 05:48:35 pm »

LOL...

The Senate Intelligence chairman was one of several senators making use of a back exit of the NRSC's building to avoid protesters and media in front. Several others, including Sen. Rob Portman of Ohiowere seen emerging from an alley next to the gas station on the Senate side of Capitol Hill.

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trimp-meeting-senate-republicans#sthash.Cq7U0ouN.dpuf

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 05:53:14 pm »
Only three Senators challenged him?  Nobody else  will challenge a man who retweets 8chan sewage, is on trial for fraud,  and praised a tyrant who tried assassinating President Bush?

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 05:56:05 pm »
Jeff Bezzos 20 Democrats  at the Washington Post add "tense" to the title and then try to spin the meeting as negative as possible to control the 

Huh?  From the exchange with Flake, I'd say yeah the meeting probably was pretty tense.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 05:58:26 pm »
LOL!!  Good for Flake and Kirk and Sasse.  Get under his very thin skin.  And Flake is not up for reelection this year so not sure why Trump thinks "going after him" would be productive. 

That's Trump's first reaction to criticism:  Not to take it to heart, but to lash out at the messenger.

Meanwhile, this is from the House meeting with Trump:

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel  45m45 minutes ago
Rep. Mark Sanford on Trump meeting: “I wasn’t particularly impressed. It was the normal stream of consciousness, long on hyperbole."

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel  44m44 minutes ago
More Sanford: When asked about Article I powers, Trump said he’d protect “all of them,” down to Article 12. “There is no Article 12."

I love what Flake said but he painted a target right over his heart or maybe on his back.

Trump NEVER lets go of anything.  I would not be surprised to see a whole salvo of tweets coming out against Sanford, Kirk and Sasse.

Can the Donald hold off on that until he gets Republican support?  He's not the greatest at self-discipline.  I guess we'll see.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

geronl

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 05:58:47 pm »
I have seen no evidence that Trump seeks unity. I don't think there has been any effort to reach out to the Ted Cruz camp at all.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »
This is not "seeking unity".

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
Tillis said he raised a question about GOP senators acting as surrogates for Trump on policy positions, noting they have the ability explain policies in detail in their respective states, and that Trump's response was "very positive."

Of course Trump was positive.  Trump doesn't know jack-sh*t about policy positions.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »
Of course Trump was positive.  Trump doesn't know jack-sh*t about policy positions.

Exactly sink.  Trump is doing his best at damage contril.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 06:05:37 pm »
Huh?  From the exchange with Flake, I'd say yeah the meeting probably was pretty tense.

Mech is just doing what he always does to defend Orange Jesus. Dodge duck and deflect.

BLUF: Trump made a cluster f*ck of a meeting where he needed to seriously make some allies in a couple of key states.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »
I have seen no evidence that Trump seeks unity. I don't think there has been any effort to reach out to the Ted Cruz camp at all.

He doesn't need us...remember?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 06:11:41 pm »
Mech is just doing what he always does to defend Orange Jesus. Dodge duck and deflect.

BLUF: Trump made a cluster f*ck of a meeting where he needed to seriously make some allies in a couple of key states.

I truly feel sorry for Mech having to defend someone who has no defense.

I wonder how he will handle it, when he finds out that Trump never intended to build a wall.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 06:26:10 pm »
Trump is desperately trying the grave out the GOP for himself and chase the majority of the party, the conservative side, off to another party.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

geronl

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 06:30:50 pm »

I wonder how he will handle it, when he finds out that Trump never intended to build a wall.

oh my, someone who advocated no borders in 2013 might not be serious about the wall.... oh noes...  :tongue2:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 06:36:57 pm »
Trump is desperately trying the grave out the GOP for himself and chase the majority of the party, the conservative side, off to another party.

Which is something Mitch McConnell and the rest of the GOPe want to happen in the worst way.