Author Topic: Senate rejects 'sanctuary cities' defunding bill  (Read 239 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate rejects 'sanctuary cities' defunding bill
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:45:59 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/senate-rejects-sanctuary-cities-defunding-225181

Senate rejects 'sanctuary cities' defunding bill

By Seung Min Kim

07/06/16 04:04 PM EDT

The Senate quickly put an end to an election-year fight on Wednesday when Democrats blocked legislation targeting sanctuary cities — a controversial immigration policy that Republican Sen. Pat Toomey has seized on in his competitive reelection bid in Pennsylvania.

In a replay of a similar vote last fall, most Senate Democrats united against a measure that would strip funding from sanctuary cities, which are cities and counties where local police and jails decline cooperation with the feds on immigration enforcement. The issue grabbed national headlines last year when 32-year-old Kate Steinle was shot and killed on a San Francisco pier by a Mexican immigrant who was in the country illegally after having been deported multiple times.

San Francisco has a policy of not abiding by requests from federal immigration officials to inform them when local officials have an immigrant in custody who has been targeted for deportation.

The vote Wednesday was 53-44. The Senate also voted on legislation from Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) that would toughen mandatory minimums for immigrants who repeatedly try to enter the United States illegally, but that was also blocked, on a 55-42 vote. Both measures needed 60 votes to advance.

more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Senate rejects 'sanctuary cities' defunding bill
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:06:59 pm »
I am writing this purely rhetorical question for no particular reason, except to hear myself talk.

Who does the American Congress 'represent'? Clearly they do not represent America, or the American people, or the rule of law. So, what do they represent? Why are they there? And, why do we need them anyway, for anything.

Has the American Congress outlived its function? Obviously Obama thinks so. If Obama can simply ignore Congress, then why can't the States ignore this archaic and moribund institution which is putrid and stinking with corpulent, fetid, rot.

I fear that the only way the ever growing detachment of Washington D.C. from the nation they claim to represent will only be resolved through some kind of cataclysmic event. Voting has become an all but a meaningless exercise in futility. Depending on any glimmer of honor or self-sacrifice from D.C. to reform themselves is a joke.

The only way to reform D.C. is when they are crushed and desolate. I do not know how this can happen, but it seems to be the only real solution. Otherwise, they will continue to drift into the arms of our enemies.

Eventually, I have little doubt that Congress and the President and all of Washington D.C. will declare the nation of America itself and all of its people as an "enemy of the State", which means of course, we are an enemy to their wealth and power.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:12:13 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:07:48 pm »
I think we need to bring back caning.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:14:34 pm »
but they will defund schools that refuse to let boys shower with girls

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:25:58 pm »
Congress does indeed represent the American people.  It is just that a whole lot of those people have a much different vision of the country than we do.

The sooner we disabuse ourselves of the fiction that conservative-leaning people are a majority, the sooner we can become a more intelligent, effective force.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:31:25 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »