Author Topic: Without Hillary Indictment, Trump's Path to White House Gets Even Harder  (Read 556 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Without Hillary Indictment, Trump's Path to White House Gets Even Harder
The media will move on from Clinton scandals.

6:30 PM, Jul 05, 2016 | By Fred Barnes
http://www.weeklystandard.com/without-hillary-indictment-trumps-path-to-white-house-gets-a-even-harder/article/2003144/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=20160705_TWS-blog-without-hillary-indictment-trumps-path-to-white-house-gets-a-even-harder-4_twitter&utm_content=TWS

Clinton and Democrats can live comfortably with the critical words of James Comey, the FBI chief, aimed at Clinton for the reckless way she treated national security information on her private email server. She and her aides were "extremely careless in their handling very sensitive, highly classified information," he said. Clinton should have known an unclassified system was no place to discuss "Top Secret/Special Access" information. Yet that's just what she did, Comey added. But his words alone won't sting her.

True, there are still plenty of Clinton scandals for Trump to exploit. He won't have to stop calling her "Crooked Hillary." There's the Clinton Foundation, her endless record of lying, her role in silencing women husband Bill has accused of sexually abusing, the Benghazi fraud, the exorbitant fees from Wall Street firms for speeches, and much, much more. They'll give Trump a lot to talk and tweet about.

But the media is minimally interested, if that, in these cases of misconduct or corruption. Clinton's private email happens to be the only scandal the mainstream media has covered intensely and on a daily basis. Now it's gone. Will reporters and commentators shift their focus to the Clinton Foundation, a target-rich environment for investigative reporters if there ever was one? I doubt it. They're more likely to move, crowd-like, to reporting on some Trump peccadillo.

exc - bold is mine

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I beg to differ. If anything, this issue has given Clinton's opponents—Trump supporters, Bernie supporters, and even "Other's" and "NOTA's" like myself—ammo to attack her (and I've seen this among my friends). The refusal to indict reeks of corruption.

It's a packaged gift to Trump. Further helping matters, the third parties aren't making an issue of it, so he has the issue all to himself. If he's going to get any kind of bump this election cycle, this is his best shot.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
  Will reporters and commentators shift their focus to the Clinton Foundation, a target-rich environment for investigative reporters if there ever was one? I doubt it. They're more likely to move, crowd-like, to reporting on some Trump peccadillo.

Trump is wasting time and opportunity in crying about unfair media. He needs to get serious and specific and let go of his emoting, day after day after day.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I beg to differ. If anything, this issue has given Clinton's opponents—Trump supporters, Bernie supporters, and even "Other's" and "NOTA's" like myself—ammo to attack her (and I've seen this among my friends). The refusal to indict reeks of corruption.

It's a packaged gift to Trump. Further helping matters, the third parties aren't making an issue of it, so he has the issue all to himself. If he's going to get any kind of bump this election cycle, this is his best shot.

Then why did he not have at least ten minutes worth of prepared material to deliver at his latest campaign appearance?

This outrage actually did move me to being a possible Trump voter. But, I pay attention and do not rely on what comes out of his mouth. In fact the man still repulses me at gut level.

His incompetent messaging does tend to reinforce a suspicion that he has been nothing more than a stalking horse for Hillary from the get go.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Trump was interviewed in this morning's NYPost,  and claimed that the FBI's decision not to recommend indictment did him a big favor, by ensuring that the corrupt and vulnerable Clinton will be the nominee.  "I would rather face her than Bernie".   

I think he's right about that.   Hillary's a terrible candidate (she leads only by virtue of her negatives being Trumped by another), and the theme that resonates like no other - her abject corruption - is only enhanced by the FBI and the Justice Department appearing to be in the bag for her.   If Trump wants Exhibit A in his quest to upend the DC Establishment,  this miscarriage of justice ought to be it. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide