Author Topic: Election Update: Swing State Polls And National Polls Basically Say The Same Thing  (Read 267 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-swing-state-polls-and-national-polls-basically-say-the-same-thing/?ex_cid=538twitter

Election Update: Swing State Polls And National Polls Basically Say The Same Thing

By Nate Silver
July 5, 2016

Welcome to our first Election Update, FiveThirtyEight’s regular feature where we’ll, uh, update you about the presidential election. More specifically, we’ll use this column to look at the election through the lens of FiveThirtyEight’s forecasting models, which we launched last week.

If you read FiveThirtyEight in 2008 or 2012, you might remember that we used to update our forecasts once a day, usually in the late afternoon or early evening. Then we’d write a post like this one to accompany it. The timing meant our forecasts were often half a day behind as new polls came in.

So this year, we’ve switched over to running model updates as new data becomes available, sometimes several times per day. I won’t promise you that we’ll interrupt everything to run an update if an Idaho poll drops at 1 a.m., but this method should allow us to stay more up-to-date, especially during regular working hours.

We’ll still run these Election Update columns — a couple of times a week at first and, eventually, almost every weekday. However, their focus will often be more macro than micro — before Labor Day, it usually isn’t worth sweating individual polls. We’ll tend to focus on big-picture themes instead.

Here’s one theme that I expect us to revisit repeatedly, for instance: How are Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump polling in swing states relative to their national numbers?

This is a trickier question than you might think, in part because there’s more than one way to define “national numbers.” One way is to calculate an average of national polls. As of late Tuesday evening, for instance, Clinton led Trump by 5.3 percentage points in our adjusted average of national polls, according to our polls-only forecast. But go to the polls-only homepage, and you’ll find that the forecast has Clinton beating Trump by 6.3 percentage points instead. It’s not a huge discrepancy, but what accounts for the difference?

The reason is that our forecast models use both state and national polls to estimate where the national race stands. In fact, they put most of the emphasis on the state numbers. Historically, it’s been more accurate to take a “bottom-up” approach — first, forecast the vote in each state, then sum the numbers together — than to force everything to match the national numbers. (See the users guide to the forecast for the gory details on how the methodology works.)

So that means Clinton’s swing-state numbers must be really good, right? They’re pretty good — but not great, although she’s gotten some better numbers in the past week. Instead, her biggest comparative strength — and Trump’s biggest comparative weakness — comes from red states rather than swing states.

Here, for instance, are the numbers in red states, which I’ll define as every state that was more Republican-leaning than North Carolina in 2012. (Georgia, by this reckoning, is the bluest red state.) To keep things relatively simple, these figures show FiveThirtyEight’s unadjusted polling average in states where there’s been at least one poll since November, and compare it to President Obama’s result against Mitt Romney in 2012.

Trump is substantially underperforming Romney in red states

Romney won these states by an average of 16 percentage points in 2012, weighted by their turnout. By contrast, Trump leads them by an average of only 7 percentage points, a net swing of 9 points toward Clinton. She’s competitive in a few of these states, such as Georgia, Arizona and — more exotically — Utah and Kansas. If you saw polls from these states only, they’d be suggestive of a double-digit landslide against Trump.

More...........
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

Mr 5% Trump will win the Primary spews more PAC paid anti-Trump propaganda.

A 95% error rate and you believe him....
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

Silver correctly predicted 48 out of 50 states in 2008, all 50 states in 2012 and Obama's percentage win over Romney in 2012 (3 points).

To be fair to Silver, nobody in their right mind thought a segment of GOP voters would be so ignorant as to actually put Trump forward as the nominee. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline SirLinksALot

It is a very bad sign when Kansas, a state that has not gone Democrat in 6 decades is trending Hillary.

Offline RedHead

A 95% error rate and you believe him....

A 95% error rate hasn't shaken your faith in Trump.

Offline RedHead

It is a very bad sign when Kansas, a state that has not gone Democrat in 6 decades is trending Hillary.

Cruz beat Trump in the Kansas primary by about 25 points so it's not that surprising. 

Offline Mechanicos

I can understand why people with a 100 percent failure rate would look up to an openly anti-Trump pollster that only has a 95% fail rate...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:14:18 pm by Mechanicos »
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline LMAO

I can understand why people with a 100 percent failure rate would look up to an openly anti-Trump pollster that only has a 95% fail rate...

Yes, we get it.

Every poll is wrong (except the ones that are in Trump's favor), the world is against po' Donnie, the American people really love him and  can't wait to elect him. The election is just a formality
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline SirLinksALot

OK, it seems that polls that show Trump losing to Hillary are not to be believed by your lights.

Maybe you can tell us WHICH POLL/WHICH POLLSTER we should look to for accuracy and why. Is it because of their past track record? Please tell us.

Offline Mechanicos

Yes, we get it.

Every poll is wrong (except the ones that are in Trump's favor), the world is against po' Donnie, the American people really love him and  can't wait to elect him. The election is just a formality
Yeah we get it. You are so desperate for validation for your fringe position you will buy into proven  wrong and proven biased in your favor sources. It takes a suspension of common sense to believe anything Nate Silver claims about Trump after his admitted bias and historical track record regarding Trump.

Notice the sources with the poll believers on both sides of Trump. The Antis have ONLY Online, Admitted Biased against Trump and Fake Pollsters claiming Hillary is way ahead while the Pros have legacy pollsters who consistently say Trump is tied with Clinton.

Neither is relevant to thinking people who are aware of why Gallop no longer does political polling.