Author Topic: ‘Free State of Jones’ reveals a little-known chapter of Civil War history  (Read 701 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘Free State of Jones’ reveals a little-known chapter of Civil War history

Matthew McConaughey seethes with righteous fury in “Free State of Jones,” a tale based on an intriguing, little-known chapter of Civil War history that, despite impeccable intentions, becomes mired within a poorly structured, dubiously focused movie by Gary Ross.

It’s easy to see why McConaughey embraced the chance to play Newton Knight, the scrappy iconoclast at the story’s center. A native of Jones County, Miss., Knight deserted the Confederate army in 1862, enraged both by conscription policies that favored the wealthy sons of slave-owners and by the marauding bands of rebel soldiers who routinely commandeered his fellow yeoman farmers’ livestock and supplies. Over the next several years, he led a growing band of impoverished deserters and freed slaves who fought against the South from within, finally establishing the country-within-a-country of the film’s title.

Read More At: https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/free-state-of-jones-reveals-a-little-known-chapter-of-civil-war-history/2016/06/23/a3a0541e-37bb-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html

Reviews seem to say it is long and perhaps hard to follow in trying to make a movie based on historic events. I think I saw even a commercial for it.

It may principally take place in Mississippi; I'll have to read more on it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:16:07 pm by TomSea »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I've seen a couple of trailers, read up on the actual events, and really want to see this.  A great story.

Offline mountaineer

Mr. M read up on the history after seeing the trailer, and we'll try to catch it at the theater.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My wife and I saw it last night, and found it to be very moving. It is covers a lot of historical, political and moral ground. Mostly historically accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqEiEO9Z9KA
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
My wife and I saw it last night, and found it to be very moving. It is covers a lot of historical, political and moral ground. Mostly historically accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqEiEO9Z9KA

It is on my list for the year. I understood the writers and directors took extra care to make it as accurate as possible in every way, from the story to the settings.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It is on my list for the year. I understood the writers and directors took extra care to make it as accurate as possible in every way, from the story to the settings.
I make no claims for having deep knowledge of either the Civil War, or the South.

I did read a fact check about the film, and there seems to be no element of "rewriting history" or of "political correctness," in the story. A bit of theatrical license, creating "composite" characters.

My prediction: It will not do well at the box-office, since it is a serious adult subject, instead of childlike fantasy, which is the style of this day.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

Thanks for the info, t_s. I'll check the theater listings, as it sounds like something worth seeing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

I have not seen any advertisements for this, but the previews on this thread look very good.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
There were a couple of uprisings in the south.

I remember reading about a group in northern Alabama who refused to take part and went to war on their own. There were plenty of people both north and south who didn't want any of it.  Sam Houston lost the Texas governorship over his opposition to the war and then lost his son in the war.