Author Topic: Keeping the Past Private  (Read 567 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Keeping the Past Private
« on: July 03, 2016, 05:19:44 pm »
July 2, 2016 4:59 am

On July 2, 1985, a 23-year-old woman named Mary Martha Michelson began screaming at a convenience-store clerk in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. She’d dashed in to buy some beer, leaving her pocketbook in the car, and when the clerk demanded proof of age, she became unhinged: screeching obscenities, sweeping the counter clear of its magazine and chewing-tobacco displays, and storming out—only to run straight into a Montgomery County deputy sheriff, on his way in to buy a cup of coffee. After a little conversation and some calming down, Mary Martha apologized to the clerk and was allowed to go her way.

On July 2, 2015, exactly 30 years later, a 16-year-old named Michael Joseph Calford, just a few weeks after receiving his driver’s license, decided to stop at a gas station on the outskirts of Ogden, Utah. When the ratchet wouldn’t hold the pump handle open, he jammed a small stick into the hand grip and walked into the station to buy a pack of gum. Fortunately, the stick held. Unfortunately, the nozzle popped out of his gas tank, the rubber hose writhing like an injured snake as it sprayed gasoline across the station. Across Michael Joseph himself, for that matter, when he slipped on the wet asphalt as he came running out to shut off the pump. Eventually, he managed to wrestle down the thrashing pump handle, but he had to pay for all the wasted gas—and, two weeks later, he received in the mail a ticket from the Weber County courthouse, fining him for spilling a prohibited substance into gutters that emptied into the local storm sewers....

http://freebeacon.com/culture/hidden-memories/

A very thought provoking review.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Keeping the Past Private
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 05:54:52 pm »
Good review. The whole topic is worth discussing in detail for that matter.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 07:47:00 pm »
I don't think the past should be private. Especially a persons criminal history. You want to keep something private, how about your sexual orientation and activities.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:28:43 pm »
Never forget... cameras are everywhere, and once it's in The Matrix, it's out there.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:37:08 pm »
I don't think the past should be private. Especially a persons criminal history. You want to keep something private, how about your sexual orientation and activities.

@geronl, I should have answered this days ago. 

I do think one's past should be private, with the exception of adult criminal history, and things deemed "public information", such as real properties owned or legal actions like divorces and bankruptcies. Why should anyone have a right to know anything about you or me that we don't chose to share with them?