Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Man's leg 'is blown off' by explosion in Central Park near funeral of Holocaust survivor, author and Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel  (Read 1259 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3672483/Man-critically-injured-following-explosion-Central-Park.html

One witness told CBS2 that the man was walking on a rock when something exploded. The NYPD and FDNY have responded but did not have any details.

Three young men from the Washington D.C. area are believed to have been involved.

New York Times reporter Sarah Maslin Nir tweeted: 'Outside Eli Wiesel's funeral I heard a huge explosion just now. Running into Central Park and found a young man with his left leg blown off.

She later added: 'The young man is safely on his way to hospital. No official word as to what transpired. His friends said he was walking&stepped on something.

'Possible fireworks accident or other cause, no word on cause as this happened moments ago.'

The explosion occurred near the Fifth Avenue and East 62nd Street area.

It is an area heavy with tourists and a short distance away from the Central Park Zoo.

Witness John Murphy, 53, told the New York Daily News he tried to keep the young man conscious following the explosion.

'I saw his friends standing there panicking. I saw the young man laying on the grass. His foot is all but gone.

'His friends claimed he was walking down the rocks and he stepped on it. It looks like there was an explosion'.

He said they denied that they were carrying fireworks.

Offline WAC

Posting photo for our military folks who know about such things if this was a possible IED or not....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Unless they were lighting them, stepping on fireworks and having them explode seems a stretch, much less completely blowing off a leg. That's assuming they even had them to begin with.

Wouldn't pass this off till it was completely investigated.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Unless they were lighting them, stepping on fireworks and having them explode seems a stretch, much less completely blowing off a leg. That's assuming they even had them to begin with.

That's what I'm thinking although stranger things have happened. I saw a guy's hand blown off from a roman candle once. Being stupid and holding it to launch it, it malfunctioned and instead of launching all the projectiles, it went off all at once. The projectile end may have been blocked.

Offline WAC

That's what I'm thinking although stranger things have happened. I saw a guy's hand blown off from a roman candle once. Being stupid and holding it to launch it, it malfunctioned and instead of launching all the projectiles, it went off all at once. The projectile end may have been blocked.

In the photo, now here, isn't that colored paper in pieces around the guy?.....I don't know much about fireworks but that paper might make me curious that that's what the kids had???

Offline NavyCanDo

Limbs can be blown off by fireworks. A guy about this same age near us had his arm completely blown off by a homemade sparkler bomb two 4th of July's ago. Judging by the location of the blast I would first suspect he or a companion caused this with their own carelessness.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Would it be "terrorizing," if ISIS announced that they had "mined" various parks in America?

My city will be holding the biggest July 4th Parade West of the Mississippi, tomorrow.

My wife and I agreed it would be super-easy for a terrorist, to walk into the crowds wearing a backpack bomb, and kill dozens of people.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

My wife and I agreed it would be super-easy for a terrorist, to walk into the crowds wearing a backpack bomb, and kill dozens of people.

They didn't outlaw pressure cookers after Boston

Offline ABX

In the photo, now here, isn't that colored paper in pieces around the guy?.....I don't know much about fireworks but that paper might make me curious that that's what the kids had???

Hard to tell. That also could have been bits of his clothing that were cut off along with wrappers for dressing, etc. Not to mention is was in Central Park so that could be trash.

Offline ABX

Not IED. No shrapnel wounds.

Good point. That is a general sign of a bomb made to kill and maim. He seems unscratched except that leg. Even a bomb in a metal casing you would expect the casing to cause other injury as it blew outward. I don't know what the status of the story is now, but it does seem like it may be a fireworks accident.

geronl

Offline flowers

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline truth_seeker

They didn't outlaw pressure cookers after Boston

I attended a rally a couple of months ago with about 7,000 others, and went through metal detectors to get it.

Tomorrow there will be over 200,000 descending on my town, by car, bike, skateboard and on foot. No possible way to screen people. There will be small bleachers in some areas.

My initial post was meant to describe the agreement with my wife, that it represents an easy and well known target.

We have attended this parade for 45 year straight. Never occurred before, to fear terror in our town. Occasional youth riots have occurred. Rowdy drinking, etc. But not outright terror.

Fifteen years since 9/11/2001 and I feel less safe than I did at that time. Most of the muslim terror perps recently WERE on government screens, but got a pass. Then they murder many people.

Offline mrclose

Most people fail to understand that the fundamental difference between dynamite and firecrackers is that dynamite detonates, while a firecracker simply burns really really fast.

Detonation is multiple times more destructive, as it has a shattering force not found with deflagration (burning).

M80's are made of flash powder. It's nothing to do with Dynamite which was based on nitro glycerin.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline truth_seeker

Most people fail to understand that the fundamental difference between dynamite and firecrackers is that dynamite detonates, while a firecracker simply burns really really fast.

Detonation is multiple times more destructive, as it has a shattering force not found with deflagration (burning).

M80's are made of flash powder. It's nothing to do with Dynamite which was based on nitro glycerin.
So based on what has been reported about this incident, would take thee guy's foot off ?

Offline WAC

Channel 7(ABC) news is reporting it's firework related. Dumb luck to step on a firework.

http://abc7ny.com/news/man-critically-injured-by-explosive-device-in-central-park/1411833/

The persons who put those there know they did so, I imagine they're staying very low at this point.  But why would anybody just leave them in a park knowing people come and go there??? 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The persons who put those there know they did so, I imagine they're staying very low at this point.  But why would anybody just leave them in a park knowing people come and go there???

People are, by and large, arseholes. Sometimes unthinkingly, sometimes vindictively, but arseholes all the same.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Well obviously more gun control is needed.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mrclose

So based on what has been reported about this incident, would take thee guy's foot off ?

Depending on who put it there .. explosives.

Of course we may never know.

The way the coverups are so readily applied .. this will remain a "fireworks" accident!

The main difference between firework powders and explosives like dynamite, is that if you pour a large pile of firecracker powder and light it, it will burn very quick, hot, and very bright, but will take some time to burn completely. The same with gunpowder.
Pour it in a little trail and it will burn down the trail at an observable speed.

Take out the insides of a stick of dynamite and make a pile or a long trail and light it, and it will still explode instantly.
None of the burning like flash powder will do when unconfined.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:11:45 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I had a black cat firecracker blow up in my hand;  it did no damage except giving me a numb feeling for a short time in my hand. Though, it is nothing one would want to fool around with, there have always been stories of firecrackers blowing off fingers.

So, the impact of this explosion is interesting.

Some stories seem to be saying that his foot was blown off.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:17:35 am by TomSea »