Author Topic: Byron York: Joining the crowd, a Trump adviser becomes a former adviser  (Read 586 times)

Offline thatcher

Byron York: Joining the crowd, a Trump adviser becomes a former adviser

In the last few months, the veteran Republican operative Barry Bennett did lots of interviews in his role as a senior adviser to the Trump campaign. But Bennett, who earlier served as Ben Carson's campaign manager, stressed that his role with TrumpWorld was not a key position and was not strictly defined.

"It's all informal," Bennett told CBS News back in January, when he joined Trump. "I've been talking to them about some of the things that they need to do, some of the new problems that will be coming their way ..."

Bennett ended up doing a lot of TV appearances in which he was identified as a senior adviser to the Trump campaign. And then, in the last few days, Bennett has been identified as a former senior advisor to the Trump campaign. Quickly and quietly, Bennett became "former."

He's not alone. Even as it tries to build up, the Trump campaign has been hemorrhaging staff in recent days. Republicans Kevin Kellems, Erica Freeman, Vincent Harris, and now Bennett have all left recently — Harris after two days on the job and Kellems after a little less than three weeks. And that is on top of Trump's firing of campaign manager Corey Lewandowski. Earlier, Rick Wiley, a former top Republican National Committee official and Scott Walker campaign chief, also left Trump after a brief tenure.

In a phone conversation, Bennett stressed that his departure was a "mutual" decision and that he still strongly supports Trump. Bennett also said he never signed a contract with Trump, never accepted pay, and worked mostly away from the campaign's Washington-area offices. So there weren't many ties to cut. But now, Bennett said, he is a former adviser and is free to do and say what he wants.

Bennett's individual circumstances aside, the number of departures, some of them after very short times on the job, are a pretty clear red flag about the Trump organization. When a staffer of Kellems' experience resigns in an open note to staff — "To whom it may concern: I hereby resign my appointment as Director of Surrogates for Mr. Trump," Kellems wrote — strange things are happening. Something is wrong in TrumpWorld.

Among GOP politicos not associated with the campaign, there's a commonly-accepted explanation: As an organization, TrumpWorld is a mess. "Total dysfunction, zero plan, bifurcated leadership, and a principal who is so unwilling to be staffed it makes it impossible to have any self respect, pride in your work or sense of accomplishment," one veteran of many Republican campaigns told me.

Read more: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/byron-york-joining-the-crowd-a-trump-adviser-becomes-a-former-adviser/article/2595531k

Offline Mechanicos

:spam2: :boring:

Another Liberal hit Piece on Trump pushing the same worn out meme (Trump is imploding) that has been tried and failed for months.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Online Hoodat

Maybe they can hire Bob Shrum.  I hear he is available.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline r9etb

Another Liberal hit Piece on Trump pushing the same worn out meme (Trump is imploding) that has been tried and failed for months.

Agreed.  It is perfectly normal for a presidential campaign to have continuous turnover among top staff.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This article, which events support to be full of home truths, is why we cannot trust Trump to be a leader.

He will not be able to assemble a staff that is even borderline competent because he cannot deal with competent people.

Those pathetic Trump supporters who post lists of everything Trump 'will do' are living in fantasy land.  Not only has Trump never shown any indication that he will follow through on anything, but he's not even interested in following through.

He's a con man working His Crowd.  He knows what they want to hear and he says it.

The Republican party will rue the day they put this clown up as their candidate.

Some sane people need to step in now.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why on earth would the guy who "managed" the Carson campaign be allowed anywhere near the DT campaign?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

And yet the "former advisor," still strongly supports said candidate.

The big complaint by "advisors" is the principle refuses to be "staffed."

Could this be another case of a "conventional" staffer, joining in expectation of finding a "conventional" campaign, only to discover he does not fit in?

During my 50 year professional career, I have seen a few instances of leaders that broke molds, and really shook things up.

People that expect to do things "the way we have always done them" will sometimes just plain not work out.

Some staffers believe they should get "face time," to go over all of the details of their specialty areas for instance. They may "feel" slighted if the boss gives them a few minutes, when he can squeeze it in, if at all.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not going to disagree with you. There is nothing worse than a "needy" subordinate, no matter how good they are at their job.

I'm a little bothered by the number of staff being turned over though. Most of them have been pretty experienced, and you'd expect them to be able to fit in, even at some discomfort to themselves. While mould breakers exist, the environment they work in and with stays the same. Still, it's better to do it now, during the dead time, than after the convention I guess.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Mechanicos

Agreed.  It is perfectly normal for a presidential campaign to have continuous turnover among top staff.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

It is when you have a CEO who demands performance and is not PC.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Mechanicos

Not going to disagree with you. There is nothing worse than a "needy" subordinate, no matter how good they are at their job.

I'm a little bothered by the number of staff being turned over though. Most of them have been pretty experienced, and you'd expect them to be able to fit in, even at some discomfort to themselves. While mould breakers exist, the environment they work in and with stays the same. Still, it's better to do it now, during the dead time, than after the convention I guess.
This is the Shake out time before the General campaign gets underway. Better now then when its flying hot and heavy.

The Antis are hoping this helps the Liberal funded Dump Trump op at the convention. Problem is most voters are angry at the Dump Trump people so this kind of stuff is a non-issue. 

Offline r9etb

It is when you have a CEO who demands performance and is not PC.

Or maybe he's just an bleep. 

(Note that "bleep" was auto-corrected in.... the word in question starts with "a".)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:02:00 pm by r9etb »

Offline sinkspur

Some people just aren't cut out for all this winning.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.