Author Topic: Did a Trump Staffer Make The Meme That Nearly Broke His Campaign?  (Read 581 times)

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
Did a Trump Staffer Make The Meme That Nearly Broke His Campaign?
GIDEON RESNICK | The Daily Beast | 06.28.16 12:00 AM ET

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/28/did-a-trump-staffer-make-the-meme-that-nearly-broke-his-campaign.html

Who made the now-infamous meme of Heidi Cruz that roiled Donald Trump’s primary campaign? According to one former staffer, the meme came from inside Team Trump itself.

At 11:35 p.m. on March 23, an anonymous Twitter user posted an image with a side-by-side comparison of Ted Cruz’s wife Heidi and Donald Trump’s wife Melania. The caption read: “No need to “spill the beans.” The images are worth a thousand words."

At 11:55 p.m. that night, presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump manually retweeted the image to his millions of followers.

It depicted Heidi Cruz, mouth crookedly agape in anguish, her forehead shiny with unbecoming bags under her eyes, next to the clearly photoshopped and posed image of a flawless-skinned Melania Trump. And for a few days worth of news cycles—now what seems like ages ago—it dominated the Republican primary, drawing ire from everyone from Fox News host Megyn Kelly to former candidate and daily punching bag Jeb Bush.

It was the bridge too far for a candidate who had referred to some Mexican immigrants as “rapists,” questioned whether Kelly was being hard on him because she was menstruating, and planned to impose a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants entering the United States. As Ted Cruz put it at the time: “Real men don’t attack women.”

Months later, after Trump had all but officially secured the nomination and pole-vaulted to the next outrageous news cycle, the meme’s father still felt bad that his creation had the potential to derail the real estate mogul’s campaign. But the image may not have been a pet project from a super-fan. According to a former Trump staffer, it came from within The Donald’s own ranks.

“I made this meme which almost took Mr. Trump down,” the man associated with the account @Don_Vito_08 told The Daily Beast in a phone interview. At the time, he explained, Vito thought that an ad depicting a semi-nude Melania Trump had been distributed by the Cruz campaign. It in fact came from an anti-Trump PAC trying to convince Mormons to vote against the former reality television star and his scantily-clad wife.

“I thought that Cruz was actually making the call to put these things out,” he explained. “That was the reaction that I had.” And Vito imagined Trump sitting in his bedroom, in a gold-encrusted bathrobe looking at the meme and thinking “this is exactly how I feel.”

Don Vito would not provide his real name. He also called from multiple phone numbers during various attempts to schedule an interview—some of which were blocked numbers. He claimed that he works as a graphic artist but has “gone solo” recently.

Vito is persistent on Twitter, tweeting his crude impromptu self-designed memes at Trump’s Twitter account throughout the day. They are often pegged to immediate news as it happens; one recent image depicts an old woman in jorts wearing a bandanna on her head with the words “Crooked Hillary and Sen. Elizabeth Warren ‘Pocahontas’ Losers.” And they’re not so different from official Trump campaign social media blasts, often relying on Trump’s own language.

“All those memes come from two places, my heart and my brain,” Vito explained. “Every time Trump speaks, I get him. I get what he’s saying.”

According to MyTwitterBirthday.com, Vito created the account last August and has since been lifted from obscurity to occasional content farm for Trump’s darkest impulses. He has somehow managed to get retweeted, by his count, three times by the candidate. It’s a surprising achievement—all the more so because Vito’s tweets have popped up in Trump’s feed within minutes of generating the image and tweeting it at Trump.

Earlier this month, Vito tweeted an image of a smiling African-American family with the words: “American Families for Trump” written in red and white font beside the picture. It was, for immediate intents and purposes, an inoffensive image.

The problem with the picture, which ended up on the timeline of a major party candidate for the president of the United States, was that the family depicted took the photo at a family reunion in Cincinnati. And they said that they don’t support Trump.

“I randomly picked this image from out of the internet,” Vito lamented. “I should have vetted the image. It was more like a representation in my mind of what I think an African-American family would look like. That was a mistake.”

Trump’s Twitter feed has been a frequent source of controversy in his campaign, serving as a thorn in everyone’s side including but not limited to his own wife and campaign surrogate Ben Carson. It’s where, at times, you catch a glimpse of the unvarnished Trump—out of the control of his campaign handlers, and often in direct command of his 9 million-strong social channel.

In January this year, Trump’s Twitter raised eyebrows when the candidate retweeted an image from an account with the handle @WhiteGenocideTM. It depicted Jeb Bush in a beanie and a parka looking disheveled outside of Trump Tower with a piece of cardboard on which the words “Vote Trump” were scribbled.

Within nine minutes of its existence online, Trump had retweeted it.

The tiny gap in time between when these memes are created and when Trump retweets them is odd, to say the least. It’s hard to believe that among the thousands of replies to many of Trump’s tweets that he happens upon these questionable images randomly over and over again.

One former staffer familiar with the campaign’s social media practices told The Daily Beast that he thought a Trump Organization employee was creating these pro-Trump accounts and then retweeting them from the main account himself.

The employee’s name is Justin McConney, according to the former staffer, and he helped cultivate Trump’s stylistic short Instagram attack videos.

“He handles/creates all the ‘viral’ images and videos on Instagram, Twitter, etc. and has direct access to the candidate’s Twitter account,” the staffer familiar with the operation explained via email to The Daily Beast. Two former staffers said Trump approves of all the retweets on the account. His campaign did not respond to a request for comment about these details.

But at some point in time on the morning of Jan. 22, whoever was operating Trump’s account was feeling particularly playful and decided the Jeb Bush image was a good idea.

According to the staffer, the retweet of the @WhiteGenocideTM account was brought up to former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski as a possible issue. He didn’t think it mattered and they moved on.

When The Daily Beast asked McConney if he had made the Heidi Cruz meme or the accounts @Don_Vito_08 or @WhiteGenocideTM, he responded in a terse email.

“The answer to both your questions is no,” McConney said. “Anything printed contrary to my answer would be false and erroneous.”

When Vito was asked whether he was involved with the campaign in any capacity, he simply responded: “nope.” As to whether he was getting paid by them to do this work: “nope.”

But if Dan Scavino, Trump’s social media manager called and offered him a job, Vito said he’d happily accept. (Scavino’s current Twitter background was actually made by Vito.)

As he’s moved into the general election, Trump has managed to not retweet a questionable image that gets him into hot water; that is as of this writing.

And even though he knows his meddlesome images have made things tough for Trump in the past, Vito is not interested in changing his ways.

“If I have the next president of the United States retweeting me three times, I’m doing something right.”
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:41:55 pm by mlizzy »
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline Mechanicos

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:50:24 pm by Mechanicos »
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

Re: Did a Trump Staffer Make The Meme That Nearly Broke His Campaign?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:53:32 pm »
Earlier this month, Vito tweeted an image of a smiling African-American family with the words: “American Families for Trump” written in red and white font beside the picture. It was, for immediate intents and purposes, an inoffensive image.

The problem with the picture, which ended up on the timeline of a major party candidate for the president of the United States, was that the family depicted took the photo at a family reunion in Cincinnati. And they said that they don’t support Trump.

“I randomly picked this image from out of the internet,” Vito lamented. “I should have vetted the image. It was more like a representation in my mind of what I think an African-American family would look like. That was a mistake.”

Our resident Don Vito accused me of inventing the story that I had picked the image of the African-American family from Google images.  Let's set the record straight from the mouth of the perpetrator.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:55:42 pm »
Our resident Don Vito accused me of inventing the story that I had picked the image of the African-American family from Google images.  Let's set the record straight from the mouth of the perpetrator.
So Google is not part of the the Internet... OK. 
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »
Here is why it went nowhere.

http://dcwhispers.com/report-cruz-campaign-prepared-sex-scandal-story-several-weeks/#AJoswBgC2KtGEf4S.99

See outside of the pro Cruz camp and Democrats nobody bought the wall of separation between Cruz and His PAC that attacked Trump's wife FIRST.
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/03/predictable-ted-cruz-pac-attacks-melania-trump-cries-foul-trump-hits-back/
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/26/exclusive-liz-mairs-anti-trump-super-pac-has-same-p-o-box-as-carly-fiorinas-campaign/
http://lawnewz.com/uncategorized/mysterious-case-of-ted-cruz-pacs-half-million-donation-to-help-carly-fiorina/

And you still perpetuate this story even though the guy who came up with it is telling you HE came up with it!  You're either dense or so much of a Trumpkin you can't think straight any longer.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 06:58:59 pm »
At the time, he explained, Vito thought that an ad depicting a semi-nude Melania Trump had been distributed by the Cruz campaign.

And, why did he think that, in spite of evidence to the contrary?  Because Trump said so!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 07:17:53 pm »
And you still perpetuate this story even though the guy who came up with it is telling you HE came up with it!  You're either dense or so much of a Trumpkin you can't think straight any longer.
Fact, Public opinion turned against your argument. The voters decided.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:29:45 pm »

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/26/exclusive-liz-mairs-anti-trump-super-pac-has-same-p-o-box-as-carly-fiorinas-campaign/

Debunked numerous times.

Both PAC’s (along with many campaigns and PAC) use the services of Chris Marston and his company Election CFO. That is their address. Note that the FEC filings for both PACs are signed by Martson as Treasurer, not because of some nefarious connections between them but because they both happened to use Martson’s company for their FEC filings and would use Election CFO’s PO Box for their official mailing address and also as the address to which to send donations as Election CFO also provides banking and accounting services along with FEC compliance and reporting.

http://www.electioncfo.com/contact/

Election CFO Tailors Its Services to Your Needs

http://www.electioncfo.com/about/

Here is a list of their clients in 2014 – the most recent year available on Open Secrets

https://www.opensecrets.org/expends/vendor.php?year=2014&vendor=Election+Cfo

Of those listed for instance - America's First PAC and Liberty for All Super PAC (a Libertarian PAC), also lists Chris Marston as their Treasurer and or PO BOX 26141, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22313 as their mailing address in their FEC filings

http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?candidateCommitteeId=C00524314&tabIndex=1

:chairbang:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:35:32 pm »
Debunked numerous times.

Both PAC’s (along with many campaigns and PAC) use the services of Chris Marston and his company Election CFO. That is their address. Note that the FEC filings for both PACs are signed by Martson as Treasurer, not because of some nefarious connections between them but because they both happened to use Martson’s company for their FEC filings and would use Election CFO’s PO Box for their official mailing address and also as the address to which to send donations as Election CFO also provides banking and accounting services along with FEC compliance and reporting.

http://www.electioncfo.com/contact/

Election CFO Tailors Its Services to Your Needs

http://www.electioncfo.com/about/

Here is a list of their clients in 2014 – the most recent year available on Open Secrets

https://www.opensecrets.org/expends/vendor.php?year=2014&vendor=Election+Cfo

Of those listed for instance - America's First PAC and Liberty for All Super PAC (a Libertarian PAC), also lists Chris Marston as their Treasurer and or PO BOX 26141, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22313 as their mailing address in their FEC filings

http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?candidateCommitteeId=C00524314&tabIndex=1

:chairbang:
I see the left has been busy trying to do damage control. You still got the main problem.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 07:43:49 pm »

Fact, the public is against your guy.  The voters have decided he's a reprobate.  You won with 14 million votes, while 17 million votes said "no" to Trump.  And more are saying "no" to Trump in the general.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 07:48:29 pm »
I see the left has been busy trying to do damage control. You still got the main problem.

That is not an opinion from the “left”. A 10-minute internet search by myself and many others proved that the supposed nefarious connection between the PAC was not a smoking gun.

This is what another commenter on the Breitbart article posted:

Maybe you should think and actually dig a little deeper before just peddling pro-Trump conspiracy theories. I enjoy reading Breitbart's new reports and take the outlet's generally pro-Trump bias with a grain of salt, but this is laughably poor reporting.

PO Box 26141 Alexandria, VA 22313 is the address for Election CFO, LLC (http://www.electioncfo.com/con..., which provides the following services according to their website:

"Election CFO provides a full-range of campaign finance services, providing only the services you need. We recognize every organization is different and customize our offerings accordingly. You only pay for the services you use.
From straight compliance reviews and response to FEC inquiries to managing the full range of banking services - merchant accounts, website credit card acceptance, remote deposit, debit cards - to budget development and monitoring, Election CFO is ready to help.

Preparation and filing of FEC Reports

Responses to Request for Additional Information from the FEC

Internal Controls development consistent with FEC guidance

Best Practices training for in-house campaign finance reporting software

Donor Correspondence:

Thank You notes

Redesignation and Reattribution Letters

"Best Efforts" letters to request donor employee and occupation information

Budget development and reporting

Managing advanced banking services

Contribution processing, including receipt, data entry, and deposit preparation

Expenditures processing, including checks writing, wire transfers, credit and debit card management"

http://www.electioncfo.com/ser...

I found this within 5 seconds by googling the allegedly suspicious common address. Did you bother to try that to see if anyone else shared that address? Did you bother to contact Election CFO, LLC for this story? My guess is that their address is the same "address" for numerous Super PACs and other campaign organizations across the political spectrum.

But, nah, let's just assume this common address is the smoking gun that links Ted Cruz to the offensive ad that Donald Trump wants to blame on Ted Cruz to justify his vicious, unprovoked attacks on Cruz's wife all week.

I know you like to paint everything that doesn’t support your positions or Trump’s as being from the “Left” but you don’t get to define the facts.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »
Fact, the public is against your guy.  The voters have decided he's a reprobate.  You won with 14 million votes, while 17 million votes said "no" to Trump.  And more are saying "no" to Trump in the general.
Uh that meme is easily disproved by the fact so many of the no voters had Trump as their 2nd or 3rd choice and the Polls you believe tell you that.

And when you have a 100 percent failure record of political predictions your prediction here is worse then worthless, its not even in the real world.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 08:16:28 pm »

Oh, come on, Mech, you're making it too easy.  "Yes, they did and most of them voted against DT."

Add that to the fact that the easily influenced believed the false meme created by the Trump supporter and spread by DT himself.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »
Oh, come on, Mech, you're making it too easy.  "Yes, they did and most of them voted against DT."

Add that to the fact that the easily influenced believed the false meme created by the Trump supporter and spread by DT himself.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltracker/cnn-donald-trump-leads-august

The link is for @sinkspur since he was the first to try the meme here and loves the far left sites.

If per the CNN Poll mentioned on a far left site Trump is leading as 1st and 2nd choice of Americans that destroys the theme most voted against him. It shows that most GOP voters found him acceptable... 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltracker/cnn-donald-trump-leads-august

The link is for @sinkspur since he was the first to try the meme here and loves the far left sites.

If per the CNN Poll mentioned on a far left site Trump is leading as 1st and 2nd choice of Americans that destroys the theme most voted against him. It shows that most GOP voters found him acceptable...

Yes, I answered before I saw Sink's response.