Author Topic: Summit to test conservatives’ support of Trump ahead of convention  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Mechanicos

Summit to test conservatives’ support of Trump ahead of convention
By Valerie Richardson

If Donald Trump fails to win over conservatives this weekend in Denver, it could be a cold July for the presumptive Republican presidential nominee in Cleveland.

Mr. Trump is slated to speak Friday to an audience of 4,000 at the Western Conservative Summit, the nation’s largest gathering of conservatives outside of Washington, in what is widely viewed as a dress rehearsal for the Republican National Convention.

The agenda isn’t packed with Trump die-hards. Far from it: Among those at the Colorado Convention Center are #NeverTrump antagonists such as Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska, commentator Erick Erickson and Truth Revolt’s Ben Shapiro, setting the stage for a Republican rumble in the Rockies.

“This is clearly a test case for Trump, a sort of warm-up for Cleveland,” said Denver-based political analyst Floyd Ciruli. “If he can’t walk out of the Western Conservative Summit, in my view, with a good welcome and a reasonable degree of unity, then I think it bodes very, very poorly for about three weeks from now.”

The event also features prominent Trump backers such as former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, a summit regular who typically receives a warm reception, and “Duck Dynasty” patriarch Phil Robertson. Closely watched will be a speech by Sen. Tom Cotton, Arkansas Republican, who has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick.

While tension between the pro and con Trump factions is expected to run high, the three-day conference also is an opportunity for conservatives to put aside their differences, said summit organizer Jeff Hunt.

“I consider this a coming-together moment, to be honest,” said Mr. Hunt, who took over in November as head of the Centennial Institute at Colorado Christian University, which sponsors the event.

“We’re all kind of on the same team. I’ve got friends on both sides of this issue who are very passionate and good committed conservatives on either side of this issue, and I didn’t want to exclude any of them. I wanted them all to be able to come,” Mr. Hunt said.

T...
“I’m happy to have them make their cases,” Mr. Hunt said. “But in the end, I’m a pragmatist when it comes to elections. We’re at a place now where it’s between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, and we need to be on the same team.”

Anything can happen, of course, but it’s hard to imagine Mr. Erickson, founder of RedState and the Resurgent, deciding at the end of the three-day summit that Mr. Trump isn’t such a bad guy after all.

Appearing in Colorado is also significant for Mr. Trump in light of the state Republican caucus debacle in April. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas won all 34 delegates, prompting the billionaire to accuse Colorado Republicans of running a “rigged” and “crooked” system, while Cruz delegates countered that the Trump campaign was disorganized and barely visible.

Mr. Cruz was invited to the summit but opted not to attend, although he has spoken in past years. Mr. Hunt said he was “deeply disappointed” by the senator’s absence.

Colorado Republican Party Chairman Steve House, who received thousands of threatening messages after the caucuses from irate Trump supporters, nonetheless congratulated Mr. Trump after he won enough delegates to all but clinch the nomination with the May 3 Indiana primary.

Also scheduled to speak during the three-day gathering are radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt, pastor John MacArthur, The Heritage Foundation’s Ryan Anderson and Stephen Moore, Rep. Ken Buck of Colorado, tea party leader Jenny Beth Martin, and El Paso County Commissioner Darryl Glenn, who won Colorado’s Republican primary for Senate on Tuesday.

[Redacted, more at site]

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/30/donald-trump-faces-republican-support-test-at-west/

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:50:12 pm by Mechanicos »
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Summit to test conservatives’ support of Trump ahead of convention
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:06:10 pm »
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline thatcher

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:10:40 pm »

What a wonderfully worded statement -- it sounds nothing like him  -- he finally decided to hire the best people (from the Cruz campaign):

Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump has hired the senior communications advisor to former candidate Ted Cruz to head the campaign's press shop.

Jason Miller will join the New York businessman's team as senior advisor for communications, taking over the candidate's messaging and media relations.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-campaign-hires-cruzs-top-pr-man/article/2595045

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:11:37 pm by thatcher »

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 02:11:01 pm »
He does not have any interest in "winning over" conservatives. He wants to coerce and threaten them, not win them over.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:23:25 pm »

Why are you hijacking your own thread?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:15 pm »
Schedule shows Trump and Palin this morning.

Let's find some links for streaming

geronl

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:27:27 pm »

Good chance that within a day he excoriates Israel for allowing Jewish settlement in the "Palestinian territories"....

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:30:16 pm by don-o »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 02:34:07 pm »
Why would Conservatives support a liberal like Trump?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline WAC

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »
Why would Conservatives support a liberal like Trump?

Because unlike some not all who will vote for Trump see him as a liberal........nor do they see him as a Conservative.
What they do see is under no circumstances should Hillary and Bill Clinton, and their Machinery, take over this country and expedite their agendas at lightening speed. ..that cannot happen!

As Greenfield stated.... “Even if the Democrats never manage to retake Congress, they will control two out of three branches of government. And with an activist Supreme Court and the White House, the left will have near absolute power to redefine every aspect of society 'on their own terms' without facing any real challenges.”

Clearly If Clinton becomes President  then it will be 'their America', not ours, and we will be a people bereft of a country, with no place to go....she will use the full force and power of the government against the right. ..from  enshrining abortion rights, same sex marriage, gun control... to filling the Supreme Court with radical lefts and amnesty for 11 million illegals to opening the floodgates for immigration from 3rd world nations.. Who no doubt will vote Demorat.

The list could go on and on as Obama hands her the gavel of Alynski and drives this country into the Globalist Elites World Order.

THAT is why I will vote for Trump.......

Silver Pines

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 03:56:27 pm »

Yet Trump assured us that he would be neutral between Israel and the Palestinians, and that the burden is on Israel for peace.

Your boy is a moral waste; if his tongue is moving, he's lying.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:02:39 pm »
What a wonderfully worded statement -- it sounds nothing like him  -- he finally decided to hire the best people (from the Cruz campaign):

No kidding. A Roman P. Trump statement would have gone something like...

That is bad, really bad. Just really, really bad. Did you know my hair is real???
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline WAC

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
Yet Trump assured us that he would be neutral between Israel and the Palestinians, and that the burden is on Israel for peace.
Your boy is a moral waste; if his tongue is moving, he's lying.

Catherine he is right to condemn this act and to call it as he did....she is a US Citizen ta boot. Has nothing to do with the "Talks" for Peace.
I know you greatly oppose Trump, but when he's right and presents himself well as he did it should not be just shoved aside as blather....He is the pre-Nominee going into the General election and it's been well noted he's attempting to speak and act Presidential when it matters he does.......this mattered.

Offline WAC

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 04:17:27 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJmXWF1TDQ

It's begun now so I'm watching closely how rump handles this unique audience.

Offline WAC

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 04:24:22 pm »

Live stream on you tube without radio announcer interferrence.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5woP0491VcM

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 04:26:06 pm »
Catherine he is right to condemn this act and to call it as he did....she is a US Citizen ta boot. Has nothing to do with the "Talks" for Peace.
I know you greatly oppose Trump, but when he's right and presents himself well as he did it should not be just shoved aside as blather....He is the pre-Nominee going into the General election and it's been well noted he's attempting to speak and act Presidential when it matters he does.......this mattered.

WAC, I don't believe for a moment he wrote that.  It doesn't sound at all like him.  And I'm not interested in someone who '"acts' Presidential.  Deluding myself that scripted words somehow make this amoral sewer of a man more fit for office is pointless.

Look, you yourself used to have him pegged as a great deceiver.  I haven't changed my opinion of him, nor will I.

Offline WAC

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 04:26:40 pm »

Palin up now...had to tune out...can't handle her shrill voice...and too often she's messed up of late.

Offline WAC

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »
WAC, I don't believe for a moment he wrote that.  It doesn't sound at all like him.  And I'm not interested in someone who '"acts' Presidential.  Deluding myself that scripted words somehow make this amoral sewer of a man more fit for office is pointless.

Look, you yourself used to have him pegged as a great deceiver.  I haven't changed my opinion of him, nor will I.

I understand. I'm not trying to convince you from your position.... But I have decided to fight against Hillary with what we got.....as for who wrote his speech....doesn't matter, he delivered it non the less and most politicians here do have speech writers. Sessions staff members are assisting Trump in this matter so I find comfort in that. It is what it is.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:08 pm »
Schedule shows Trump and Palin this morning.

Let's find some links for streaming

Where has Palin been?  I think she was a disappointment to Trump.  I don't know what he offered to get her in his camp (I hope she got it up front) but he may have thought she had more conservative pull than she turned out to have.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »

000hehehehe

That was exactly my thoughts.    I was getting ready to respond to the stories topic, and then said "What the hell?"
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 04:47:29 pm »
Where has Palin been?  I think she was a disappointment to Trump.  I don't know what he offered to get her in his camp (I hope she got it up front) but he may have thought she had more conservative pull than she turned out to have.

I can report she is as shrill as ever.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:45 pm »
I can report she is as shrill as ever.
I like her, shes a good conservative with her head screwed on right.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »
Summit to test conservatives’ support of Trump ahead of convention

That test was failed long ago.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline livius

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:18 pm »
I understand. I'm not trying to convince you from your position.... But I have decided to fight against Hillary with what we got.....as for who wrote his speech....doesn't matter, he delivered it non the less and most politicians here do have speech writers. Sessions staff members are assisting Trump in this matter so I find comfort in that. It is what it is.

He's not "what we've got."  Primary voters represent a very small proportion of the electorate, and in this case, he got a bare plurality only because there were so many candidates running and he won the the "open primary" states, which are states where Dems can vote in GOP primaries and are usually winner take all.

I think there's a lot of momentum to get a better candidate. The problem with the GOP is that it has always been ball-less, and this time it couldn't even resist a hostile takeover.  So maybe the party can actually act like a party and get itself together and get rid of this cowbird. A cowbird is a "parasitic bird," that is, one which lays its eggs in the nests of other birds. These birds then hatch them out, not even realizing that the cowbird has kicked out the eggs of the actual owner of the nest.

Offline WAC

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »

I frankly can't see that the GOP is going to present any other despite the talk of....they tried with Romney and Kristol  attempting to stop Trump.... In fact some of the "reports" and intrigue about this anti-Trump and Never Trump etc. is actually the Clinton Machinery pushing it as well.

I'm aware of the "math" regarding the Primary....and that can be easily tweaked to whatever position one might hold that's presenting it....I don't think we can go by the standard measures in other elections as this one has proven those wrong time and again...and we know that.

I also think the GOP has screwed itself badly enough that few care to listen or act with any lead they might show. We can only assume perhaps something at the convention...but I have good reason we won't see anything more to speak of to change the trajectory Trump is on.

@livius